Revell 1:72 Westland Wessex HAS3 - FINISHED

As I've had the OK from Aaron for this build I thought I had better get things started for my first ARC GB.

Just the box shot for the moment guys, but at least it gets the thread going.

Wessex.jpg

I have already come across an issue with the paint. Revell tell you to mix three colours for the blue. Does anyone know what Xtracrylix or Vallejo paint I would use instead?

Cheers

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

Hi Deacon

I'm in a similar situation as you are with paint colors for the Wesseex helicopter.

I recently bought a whole bunch of Italeri HAS-3 and HU-5 kits along with aftermarket decals and a couple of reference books.

I've been trying to match color scheme's by mixing my own paint ; I general use Gunze Sangyo acrylics and although Gunze have some British Standard colors [bS 381C] , H-330-H-335 , I've been trying to match the RAF Blue/Grey you see on the HAS birds .

picture015en.jpg

The forward fuselage section is airbrushed with 3 parts H-333 and 1 part H-55 , the middle section and tail I tried 3 parts H-333 and 1 part H-328 ...

picture016h.jpg

At this stage I like the H-333/H-55 mix for the HAS-3 bird , I use a syringe to accurately measure the paint . 3 parts = 3cc and 1 part = 1cc the paint is thinned with an equal amount of isoprpyl alcohol .

I haven't used Xtracrlix or Vallejo paints as yet , so I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help .

The other paint mix's I'm trying are for early HAS-1 and HAR/HC-2 Wessex helicopters ; I tried 2 parts H-27 mixed with 1 part H-329 for a light stone color and on another try 2 parts H-303 to 1 part H-1 for a medium [Lichen] green for some two tone green HC-2 wessex helicopters .

I realize my paint mix's are not 100% accurate but I think it looks reasonable close to pictures in the reference books , I haven't mixed any Signal Red as yet , I think I'll try Gunze H-3 and H-23 reds and see how that looks .

Out of curiosity could you post the paint colors Revell suggest as I have some paint refence sheets I got of the internet for matching different brands of paint , I was wondering what paint colors Revell were mixing together ???

Sorry I couldn't of been more help with your HAS-3 Wessex build , I have put together one HAS-3 and a HU-5 kit so far and there are no real fit issue's with either kit , best of luck with your wessex , Deacon .

Kind regards

John .

You may not have been able to help with the question John, but there was some interesting stuff never-the-less.

How many of these are you doing? I can see three at least?

If I ever do find out the correct colour, I'll let you know.

Thanks

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

The wessex kits I have are part of a rather large S-58 Build I have started on .

picture018di.jpg

I was suppose to finish some Canadian Helicopters and USCG birds first but as usual I get too excited about new stuff and end up combining all three at the one time . I recently finished a West german , USCG , U.S.Army and VNAF H-34's to go with three previous builds . There are are others at various stages of completion and lots of others still in the box's

picture017fz.jpg

Those fuselage halves I was using to experiment with my paint mixing on are spares ; as the HAR-2 and HC-2 Wessex helicopters have the same square shaped fuselage cabin windows as the Sikorsky UH-34 kits , so I'm swaping the HU-5 fuselage halves for UH-34 ones on 5 or 6 builds .

Some of my Canadian helicopters are ready for airbrushing , so I really need to focus my attention on those sometime during the next few days , I'm starting to run out of room for all my on-going builds .

John .

:D

I count 45 kits (boxes and made).

Is there a particular reason for your "interest" in this heli type John (sorry if you have alrday explained this somewhere before)?

You don't post on UKAR do you mate?

Deacon

I started a post over at FSM about the Italeri UH-34J Sea Horse kits , here is the link...

http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/t/126725.aspx

Originally I wanted to do a number H-34's for the U.S. Military but became frustrated with Italeri changing the mold of their UH-34J kit and the V-style landing gear not being included in the kit .

While searching around www.hannants.co.uk , I came across lots of decal options for the Westland Wessex helicopter , so things seemed to snowball from there .

I haven't heard of UKAR before ??? ; Is it another scale modelers web site .

The markings on the USCG [HUS-1G] I built came curtosity of this ARC Group Build host , Aaronw , I was extremely grateful for his help .

45 kits you counted , I guess I should look at making it an even 50 :D

John .

Wow!

:)

Not sure I deserve this Wayne, but thanks. ;)

Another update. The only paint on the build at present, apart from the cockpit of course, is on the rotors.

IMG_6691.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Deacon

John,

You're making enough of these mate, what are you using for the side antenna? I usually use thread, but I can't see how I would get the tension

between the supports, so was thinking I need to use stretched sprue, a technique I am not very good at.

Cheers

Deacon

John,

You're making enough of these mate, what are you using for the side antenna? I usually use thread, but I can't see how I would get the tension

between the supports, so was thinking I need to use stretched sprue, a technique I am not very good at.

Cheers

Deacon

That's a really good question , I haven't stretched sprue before either , But I think it might be the best option . From what I have read in the past is you attatch the stretched sprue with a little sag and when the glue has dried at each end , you wave a hot knife under the sag and the heat from the knife causes the sprue to shrink , this all sounds quite easy in theory but I'm yet to have a go at it .

I've used thread in the past like you have but it never really looks that good ...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help .

John .

Here is the finished article.

A photo with the blue added first,

IMG_6715.jpg

and now the finished build,

IMG_6718.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

Thanks for the support from you guys. Also, my daughter did some of my chores so I could get this finished, she's a star. :jaw-dropping:

Deacon