what to do in Seattle

I'm taking the girlfriend to Seattle for a few days in june. the museum of flight and the boeing tour are on the agenda but we have a day to kill before the mariners game at 7 pm.

so can anyone from the area give me a few suggestions for what there is to do and see? she is really fascinated by aviation so the museum tours are ok with her, but spending the day going from one hobby shop to the next might be a bit much. (so just give me the skinny on the best ones) :touche:

tia Dylan

Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, Pike Place Market (even if you're not buying, it's just really cool), Seattle Aquarium, taking a ferry out to Bainbridge Island or Bremerton Island, finding Chief Seattle's grave...there's lots of stuff to do there.

What to do in Seattle?!?!?!?!

All sorts of fun stuff! Ride the ducks, Space Needle, EMP and Sci Fi Museum, Pacific Science Center, visit the Fremont troll, ferry rides.

The aforementioned American Eagles is an awesome hobby shop. A friend came up from California and I took him and he said it was like someone took a Nordstrom and crammed it full of models. Also, Skyway Hobbies is pretty awesome too...amazing deals there. They often clear out estate sales and such....and you can find some real gems for super cheap.

All sorts of fun stuff! Ride the ducks, Space Needle, EMP and Sci Fi Museum, Pacific Science Center, visit the Fremont troll, ferry rides.

The aforementioned American Eagles is an awesome hobby shop. A friend came up from California and I took him and he said it was like someone took a Nordstrom and crammed it full of models. Also, Skyway Hobbies is pretty awesome too...amazing deals there. They often clear out estate sales and such....and you can find some real gems for super cheap.

Skyway is a GREAT place. One of the last remaining hole in the wall "model shops".

Oh....and that reminds me....make sure you stop in Mill Creek and go to this little joint called "The Fire Station Deli" for some of the best sandwiches ever!

:rofl:

But beware....I hear the staff there are kinda nutty :coolio:

Edited by paul.nortness

If you're taking your girlfriend and she likes shopping, then the Northgate mall or South Center mall are both pretty big malls and worth visiting....if she likes shopping and I figure there's a chance she might enjoy clothes shopping.

The Space Needle is a great place for lunch or dinner......the restaurant is at the top and it rotates 360 degrees every hour offering you an amazing view of the city. For a fee.....you can also just ride the glass elevator up to the top of the sapce nedle and enjoy the view.

The aquarium I highly recommend and would fit your timeframe pretty well. However, for maximum romantic points and a nice out of the way trip, I would suggest Snoqualmie Falls and the restaurant at the lodge. East of the city about 30 miles.

Rick L.

HAha! I had the same thing happen. I had a freind visiting from CA. I took him to American Eagle and Skyway and I think it blew his mind! He's planning his next visit around a return to Skyway.

Also - the trip up to Everett to see the FHC and the MoF restoration center are worth it. And like Paul says, stop in Mill creek to hit the Fire Station deli, If you come up early enough for a morning treat, swing by Frost donuts too. It's in the same shopping center as Fire Station, but at the south end by the Central Market. The Smokey Bacon Maple bar is the shizzle!

Paul, don't I still owe you a beer for keeping me from signing a lease for a place behind the Everett Mall :coolio:

You can spend an entire day down at the Market if you want. I really enjoyed a light meal at Cutters Bayhouse before actually hitting the market. You know what they say, eat something before you go shopping for food! It didn't help! There is so much to see and do just in the area of the Market, you may forget about that other hobby, thing or something we do here on...what's our hobby again? :coolio:

Have a good trip!

Mark

We went back in February and had a great time. Check out the highlights of our trip on >>>this thread<<<. Be sure to check out the Duck pics on pg. 2!

We ate lunch ate the Space Needle. Great food and an incredible view! The menu is kinda pricey but the $17 (each) admission (just to go to the observation deck) is included making the food well worth the cost. Plus the view from the restaurant in much better that the observation deck. Did I mention that the food was great? I highly recommend the 'Open Faced Flat Iron Steak Sandwich'. Mmmm...

Check out this website for details about all the attractions and print out the coupon book to save a few bucks here and there: http://www.seattleattractions.com/seattle_...ide/guide1.html

Have fun!

:cheers:

There is another hobby shop, it is a bit north but well worth it is Galaxy Hobby in Lynnwood at 196thSW and Hiway 99 next to REI. All the beforementioned aiviation stops are well worth it all and the ones at Paine Field are north of Galaxy so hitting it with the museums would be easy.

Paul, don't I still owe you a beer for keeping me from signing a lease for a place behind the Everett Mall :D

Hahaha! Funny you mention that.....I was up at the Hobbytown by the mall just the other day and I was thinking about that!

We still have to meet up sometime...You've lived here for like 2 years now!

You can come over to the dry side of the mountains and say hi to me.

Snoqualmie Falls is a good place to go if you are the nature-going type, especially this time of year when the snow is melting full-swing. There's a great (and very expensive) logde there right on the edge of the falls. As was said, that's about 30 or so miles East from Seattle proper. Just beyond that is North Bend, and they have some good outlet malls there. I've not been to American Eagle or Skyway, but I like Galexy Hobby and go there when we are up that way. The space needle is fun to go up and look around at, especially at night when the city is lit up and you can see all of the planes stacked up flying into SeaTac. The Museum of Flight is a must...you can spend hours there looking at all the planes they have. They've got an SR-71, F-14, old Air Force One (which my grandpa did the final inspection on before it rolled out of the factory) and Concorde as well.

If you really want to get the "tourist experience" may I suggest the Seattle City Pass as it allows you to go to the Space Needle, Museum of Flight, aqarium, Woodland Park Zoo and some other places for about $60.00. Considering the MOF is about 15 to get into a piece, these passes are a pretty good deal.

Another thing that is fun to check out is the Seattle Underground Tour. Seattle was built pretty much flat, but they quickly realized they had plumming problems and such, and had to build hills into the landscape. Rather then tear down the existing buildings, they just built the hills around them and up sidewalks on top of the hills. So, instead of the "ground floor" being the first floor of these buildings, they are actually the second, third, fourth, etc floors of the buildings, they are just the first floor that you can see from ground level. The underground sidewalks and tunnels were used as brothels, speakeasies and other such things during prohibition. They give you a full narrated tour that gives you a lot of information about Seattle and how it was built.

Anyways, I actually hate Seattle because its "the big city" and all, but if I have to go over there for some reason, these are the things I like to do while I'm there.

Aaron

ps. you have to watch out for wierd people over there. Especially if their names are Paul or Brady.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dang.... i was in Seattle for 6 months..... 6 MONTHS!!!!! and just now i realized that there were model kits other than in the MoF store, the one close to oak harbour (pretty expensive btw) and in the small store in Puyallup... well, next time...

About stuff to do there... Needle and Ducks are a must (they are close enough to do both in an afternoon), the underground tour is just awesome, Pike's is a must also (even if you have to pay 40 bucks for a pound of Chilean Seabass).... the aquarium is from another world so just go there... westlake, southcenter and northgate are the best places for shopping (be prepared to spend lots there... i wasnt!).... the kids museum in Bellevue was really cool (kid and wifey loved it). Try to go to the top of the Columbia Tower... that view is really awesome (i worked there so for us was free, but i think is like 6 bucks to go up).. The Asian Art Museum in Volunteer Park was nice (wifey liked it... )... Deception Pass in Whidbey was cool, so as Fort Casey... and, just if u can.... go to the Spruce Goose Cafe in Jefferson County airport... best milkshake and pie ever!!!, The steaks on the MetGrill are way over-rated so forget them... As for nightlife... Cowgirls inc (enough said...)

Cheers

Man