Eduard Spitfire Mk.22/24

As far as I know, all Eduard kits are tooled by themselves, unlike other manufacturers.

Greg

They've reboxed several. Their Mirage 2000D/N were Heller and the forthcoming Sukhoi series of the Su-7, 17/22 & 25 are all Kopro. They include special decals, PE, and resin for a limited edition kit.

MM says otherwise...

Interesting.....I seriously had no idea and was under the impression that they made their own. Thanks for the tip Patrick. So, on a similar note, does that mean their F6F-3/F-5 Hellcats are reboxed kits as well?

Greg

Interesting.....I seriously had no idea and was under the impression that they made their own. Thanks for the tip Patrick. So, on a similar note, does that mean their F6F-3/F-5 Hellcats are reboxed kits as well?

Greg

Those are Eduard's own tooling as are several like the new bf-109 and the FW-190s. Hence why I was confused.

If that's Airfix's best, I'd hate to see their worst. Full of sink holes. Crappy attachment points on many parts such as flaps and tail gear doors. nasty seam on rudder., and absolute garbage for decals. After that Spit and their 48th Canberra, you'll excuse me if I never buy one of their products again. Hal Sr

Well, now, that's interesting, since no other modeller, to my knowledge, has ever found the Airfix kit to be "full of sink holes," in fact I've just inspected an original Airfix issue, and couldn't find a single hole. Could we see pictures, please? If your version is one by Eduard, I'm sure that they'd be interested, since sink holes are caused by dud moulding technique, e.g. insufficient plastic being injected, not a dud mould. The "nasty" seam on the rudder (which, with a half-decent application of a sanding stick, is removed in seconds) is a result of the rudder doubling-up as the Seafire 46/47 version. No-one else seems to have had trouble with any of the attachments, either, nor did they experience trouble with the original Airfix decals, remembering, of course, that those, in the Eduard issue, are supplied by Eduard, not Hornby. If you feel that the moulding is of such poor quality that you'll never buy another, one has to presume that you'll never buy a Tamiya kit, either, since the mould (and that of the Lightning) was produced by the same Korean company which, at the time, was supplying moulds to Tamiya.

Edgar

The Airfix tooling was definitely wearing out by the time Eduard got a hold of it.

I have two Eduard Spitfires, and both have significant flash and sink marks on them, especially on that part for the lower rudder.

Additionally, was that guy's complaint about the decals regarding the Airfix or Eduard release. If it was the Airfix release, was it a problem with the wax paper sticking to or marring the decals? If it was the Eduard kit, the decals were definitely bad because in the initial releases, they misprinted the decals with dark gray lettering instead of the off white it should have been. Both of my kits have the misprinted decals.

If that's Airfix's best, I'd hate to see their worst. Full of sink holes. Crappy attachment points on many parts such as flaps and tail gear doors. nasty seam on rudder., and absolute garbage for decals. After that Spit and their 48th Canberra, you'll excuse me if I never buy one of their products again. Hal Sr

Buy their Buccaneer kit and try to put that together.

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/afxbuc.htm

They don't have an icon for someone vomiting, so this one will have to do instead. :whistle:

The Spit kit was Airfix, purchased in Nov, and given to me as a Christmas gift. Sure, that seam in the rudder was sanded out, but so was the detailing surrounding it. The decals were not opaque, and doubling them up did little good. many of them curled at the edges. Additionally, there were no clear parts in the kit, and Airfix took 4 months to get them to me. Hal Sr

Phew, you had me worried there.

I've had the Eduard kit in my stash for a couple of years and I had to run up and check it out to see if I'd bought a pig in a poke. The only sprue with appreciable flash and sink holes is the propeller sprue with holes at the base of the reverse side of every blade. Apart from that there are a few VERY minor dimples on the horizontal stabilisers and inner wing panels that some Mr Surfacer and a buff and polish with fine wet and dry will sort out. No biggee.

As for the Buccaneer I've never tried it myself but at our last club night competition, an Airfix theme, my Seafire III was beaten into second place by an absolutely gorgeous Airfix Buccaneer with resin cockpit and wingfold. It may be character building but it is far from unredeemable.

Edited by GPaulC
The Airfix tooling was definitely wearing out by the time Eduard got a hold of it.

I'm sorry, but that's utter nonsense; the mould is made of beryllium copper, and was used once, maybe twice, since its manufacture. If it was wearing out, any Tamiya kit, made around, or before, that time, would have sunk into dust by now.

Edgar

I have two Eduard Spitfires, and both have significant flash and sink marks on them, especially on that part for the lower rudder.

Flash and sink marks are not necessarily caused by mould wear, especially not sink marks. Both problems are usually indicative of incorrect injection moulding procedures - flash can be caused by excessive temperature and pressures, whilst sink marks are usually indicative of the components being removed too quickly from the moulds, followed by rapid cooling. This may also lead to warped components. Flash and sink marks are usually a sign of a rush job.

peebeep

Buy their Buccaneer kit and try to put that together.

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/afxbuc.htm

They don't have an icon for someone vomiting, so this one will have to do instead. :thumbsup:

Yep, you have to use someting called modelling skills to build the Airfix Buccaneer. Otherwise, to paraphrase Harry Callghan, a modeller should know his limitations.

:giles:

Darius

I have several boxing of both Airfix kits, the spitfire 22/24, and seafire 46/47, and two of the eduard offering. I will certainly acknowledge that the airfix decals are not my favourites. The moulding quality of the airfix and eduard kits are very different, the airfix versions being of much higher quality. The eduard versions have some, but easily repairable, sinkmarks.

To be fair, the decals in the Airfix boxing aren't great - the colour density is a bit patchy and there are white flecks in things like the roundels, very similar to the Lightning sheets of the same era which were very comprehensive but poorly done.