CF-116A in 1/32, Thats a F-5A for you non- Canadians.

Going to do one more for this group build. A 1/32 CF-116A Freedom Fighter (Americans call it a F-5A) as used by 434 bomber squadron. A friend of mine used to be a bomb plumber for this squadron back in the 70s/80s.

I'll be using the Hasegawa F-5E and Belcher Bits resin conversion and a resin seat which is one route from Sprue brothers.

No idea what I'll use for decals yet. I'll figure that out later.

Edited by phantom

Small problem , but I worked it out. Model is missing one of the tail planes. I was going to use a scrap 1/72 scale hornet as a donor but it did not work. So I went simple.

Lots of pins holding the butchered wings into the fuselage. This is fun so far!! Quite the challenge!

DSC_0062.jpg

Main assembly is done.

DSC_0065.jpg

Gave a shot of primer to find the faults and was happy to see only two areas. But they took a far amount of putty to cover.

Sand down tomorrow after the putty dries a bit. So while the drying happens I built some underwing tanks.

Edited by phantom
Main assembly is done.

DSC_0065.jpg

Gave a shot of primer to find the faults and was happy to see only two areas. But they took a far amount of putty to cover.

Sand down tomorrow after the putty dries a bit. So while the drying happens I built some underwing tanks.

Looks like the CF-116A on a stick they have at the Holiday Inn at 401 and RCAF road in Trenton.

Good job by the way.

Close to built. Hopefully the seats arrive some time this week. I go back to work this week so the rest of the build, the most time consuming part for me the paint job comes next.

Port side you can see where I thinned the resin far too much. Large part broke off and took a great deal of putty to repair. I have one more test to make sure its not as warped as it appears in this photo before the major paint job.

DSC_0062-1.jpg

Starboard side. Really like the Belcher bit refueling probe to the overall look of the aircraft.

DSC_0061.jpg

This one has been a real challenge, but one I have really enjoyed at the same time. THe references I have have been great in making the F-5E into a CF-5A. Little things like completely different intake scoops, do-hickeys and even the landing gear show me the F-5E was a completely different airframe.

Edited by phantom

Basic paint on. Touch ups. (which take me the longest ) decals and a bunch of weathering to come. Oh, and the seat and canopy when they show up.

DSC_0065-1.jpg

Really nice job on your F-4+1.

I have the same conversion kit, but every time I pick it up and look at it, I get scared by all the work, and set it aside to try another day. Your build has inspired me to give it a shot sooner than later.

ALF

Its actually not as scary as I thought it would be. Tearing into the resin with a power drill as step one was not pleasant. but thats about it.

DSC_0086-1.jpg

DSC_0081-1.jpg