Another ace passes... "Bud" Mahurin

What a fascinating story. I love the photo they used for the story, and I loved this paragraph, "That was the most fun I ever had," Col. Mahurin said in a 2006 interview. "You seldom think of aerial combat -- getting shot at -- as fun, but it's a lot of fun if you're doing the shooting." He was a warrior.

I know I've heard of him, or read his name somewhere, but for the life of me I can't believe I've not read more about him. A quiet hero I guess.

Wow. Thank you sir. :whistle: (I would have loved to have a beer with him!)

Mark

Rest in peace, Col Mahurin. Posted below is my renditon of his P-47, "Spirit of Atlantic City, NJ". From Tamiya 1/48th kit, with Hasegawa cooling gills from their early Jug adapted to fit (Kit provided gills are incorrect for "Spirit" sub type). Photo etch Ring sight attached to cockpit coaming. Pole mast, iron front sight, seatbelts/buckles, and brake lines scratch. Engine wired. Kit supplied decals, with all striping masked off and sprayed. Hal Sr

atlcity1.jpg

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

RIP :salute:

But perhaps this will bring about of his phenomonal book, Honest John. One the best aviation books I have ever read and long out of print and amazingly difficult to find; I've been haunting used book stores, tag sales and library sales for years.

RIP :salute:

But perhaps this will bring about of his phenomonal book, Honest John. One the best aviation books I have ever read and long out of print and amazingly difficult to find; I've been haunting used book stores, tag sales and library sales for years.

There are a few copies available on alibris.com: http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=29...s*listing*title

RIP Sir! :wub: