Anyone knows who makes 1/72 GBU-22s?

Title says it all--I've been searching for 1/72 GBU-22s with no luck. I can cobble together passable ones from the Hasegawa weapons sets, except for the rear fins, which have a very different arrangement than the older GBUs.

Yeah, it's an odd duckling. It uses the same guidance unit at the GBU-24, but with stubby front fins. The airfoil group is similar to that of the GBU-24, but scaled down significantly. As such, the fins are not in the form of a cross, but instead are offset. Here's a picture from Wikipedia:

GBU-22_p1220899.jpg

Here's a link to a longer description.

Thanks for the picture.

When I googled it, I didn't notice the offset rear fins.

It is an odd one, but I do like it.

Sadly, I think it's unlikely that even an aftermarket producer will make one.

If I really had to make one, I'd cut off the rear fins of a GBU-12, add putty to close the slots and simulate the slightly bulged rear body and add the rear fins in offset fashion.

With my skills, it would probably look pretty shabby.

But under most aircraft the rear fins would be "in the shadows".

Cheers, Stefan.

Has it become operational with anyone or was it developed and then shelved?

From Lucas' link he posted at 07:41 AM: "The GBU-22/B was not produced for the U.S. military, but it is included by Raytheon in the list of available Paveway III variants."

Presumably, the good ol' GBU-12 is still good enough.

Cheers,

Andre

The French have bought some--what sparked my interest was hearing that the French were using it in Afghanistan and finding this picture of a Rafale carrying a couple of GBU-22s alongside GBU-24s:

rafale-gbu22.jpg

Edited by Lucas C.
The French have bought some--what sparked my interest was hearing that the French were using it in Afghanistan and finding this picture of a Rafale carrying a couple of GBU-22s alongside GBU-24s:

I only see GBU-22's on it, 3 on a TER under each wing. :jaw-dropping:

Gents:

Anyone have a photo of the rear of the GBU-22? Has it become operational with anyone or was it developed and then shelved?

Mark

Spectre Resins

Mark--here's a picture of the rear fins I just found:

lgbgbu22.jpg

While doing some searches, I found that a French company called Skyraider Model Designs produces a 1/48 scale GBU-22. It lists the aircraft capable of carrying it, too. I also found that Poland and possibly other NATO countries have also purchased GBU-22s.

While doing some searches, I found that a French company called Skyraider Model Designs produces a 1/48 scale GBU-22.

One option for us 1/72nd scale guys is to buy the SMD GBU-22 and use it as a point of reference for scratchbuilding one in 1/72nd.

One option for us 1/72nd scale guys is to buy the SMD GBU-22 and use it as a point of reference for scratchbuilding one in 1/72nd.

I'm afraid the rear fins are beyond my limited scratchbuilding skills.