Hello reader.

The title says Su-17/22 because I'm not sure what I'm going to build yet. Probably a Su-17: the colours of the Soviet camouflages are lighter and I prefer the "opasno"-type warning intake sign than the red+yellow triangle+three black strips symbol.

The Italeri kit transparencies are terrible. They are undersized and profile shape is very bad...

italeriSu22m4kitTransparencies.jpg

... so I'll use the Pavla canopy...

italeriSu22m4pavlaCanopy.jpg

The canopy will be closed to see how the Pavla canopy improves the front fuselage profile.

I've started making holes in the fuselage halves: nose additional air intakes, stabilator guide rails, undernose landing lights.

Will be following very closely your build, Laurent! A Fitter (of some model) might be my entry as well although It's too early to tell.

The Pavla canopy seems to do the trick. How's the fit? I've never used vacu canopies so I'm interested to see your progress.

The Pavla canopy seems to do the trick. How's the fit ?

I don't know yet. I have to trim the edge. As you can see Pavla has vacuformed the canopy and part of the fuselage. I may cut out the part of the corresponding Italeri fuselage part so that canopy fit will not be a problem. I'll see this later on as I have other things to do before. This build shouldn't be too hard but it will be long: replacement of the front wheel by the Equipage one, main landing gear legs extension, etc.

This build shouldn't be too hard but it will be long: replacement of the front wheel by the Equipage one, main landing gear legs extension, etc.

New set for Su-7 is available including whells, engine scoops and front wheel fork - very nicely detailed.

Altrough set is for Su-7 it fits to other Fitteres (wheels and front gear). Producer:Resinart. I got mine via Ebay.

As we speak about Fitters. Fresh pics I made yesterday at Miroslawiec AB home of 8th Tactical Squadron.

Black "305"trainer, note SPS-141MGWE pod.

Miroslawiec2010046.jpg

"4604" with four SPPU-22-01 gun pods. Under wings pods are covering front and underbelly ones cover back. Barells are movable during flight.

Miroslawiec2010078.jpg

"3215" with full load of 4 x H-25 AGM, 2 x R-60 AAM and 2 x FAB-250 bombs.

Miroslawiec2010066.jpg

End OT.

Happy Birthday and thumbs up with Your build :P

Edited by Piotrek.S.

Thank you for the pics Piotrek and Marcin. The black two-seater looks sleek. I don't like the new black/brown/green Polish camouflage.

Here's the Pavla canopy integration. I'll have to sand down the windscreen base area as it's sticking out too much out of the fuselage.

italeriSu22m4pavlaCanopyOnFuselage.jpg

Laurent

Nice job on the cutting. I didn't realize that you were going to have to do that in the first picture. I was thinking it was a regular vac-form canopy.

I did that to avoid canopy-fuselage seam problems and avoid superglue frosting the canopy. It also make the inner fuselage more accessible for handling the intake seam for example. Cutting the fuselage halves was easy because Pavla represented some panel lines: alignement wasn't really difficult.

Nice surgery. Are you plannig to open canopy?

Pavla set is nicely detailed and worth showing.

It's a little bit of a shame but no. I really want to see the improvement brought by the Pavla canopy. The transparency of the canopy is good so a lot should be visible through it.

The build is still in progress (I've assembled the burner can of the old Eduard exterior PE set last night... god I don't like assembling 3D stuff from PE :jaw-dropping: ) but it's slow since I also am painting the F-2A.

I'm still in a slow part of the build:

- integration of the Pavla cockpit; the resin parts are secured with epoxy putty bought in a DIY store; currently the IP coaming prevents the canopy to sit properly

italeriSu22m4cockpitIntegration1.jpg

italeriSu22m4cockpitIntegration2.jpg

- Italeri provides transparent parts for the landing lights (and you have to drill the holes yourself) but I prefered to make larger ones to have a well placed opaque/transparent seam

italeriSu22m4landingLight.jpg

- I've drilled some holes in the fuselage halves; I've moving the stabilator guide rail since Italeri/Bilek didn't put it in the proper place

italeriSu22m4fuselageHoles.jpg

You can see that I'm still far from the paint stage yet.

Fuselage parts preparation is finished and exhaust pipe is glued.

What color shall I use for the cockpit ? light blue-grey (like RLM65) or light grey ?

I don't trust the color of recently painted Polish planes as the color may have been "NATOfied". Example.

Good for You!!!

After overhauls cockpits in polish Fitters are: first planes got Humbrol 145 eqivalent later it was changed to Humbrol 147.

Original soviet paint: 1 and 2

Good for You!!!

After overhauls cockpits in polish Fitters are: first planes got Humbrol 145 eqivalent later it was changed to Humbrol 147.

Original soviet paint: 1 and 2

Thanks Piotrek ! You may help in another area.

Eduard in their Su-22M4 exterior PE set forgot that the aircraft has an afterburner: they only provide a turbine face. I have made rings last night but I don't know how they're laid out. If the answer is in the CD-ROM, I don't know exactly where it is and I cannot look for it now (1 year old and 5 years old sons running in the house). In the symetry plane of the engine, the rings are laid out "\ /" (I think so), "V V","^ ^" or "/ \" ?

Edit: "\ /" looks good...

at 2:30 Edited by Laurent

Thanks for the pics Piotrek. The geometry of the afterburner isn't apparent. It isn't a problem anymore as I've taken the "\ /" path, made some stretched sprue and...

italeriSu22m4afterburner.jpg

I've had a look at my Authentic Decals sheet and there's only one WP era M4 in it... and I don't like it... :(

I've had a look at my Authentic Decals sheet and there's only one WP era M4 in it... and I don't like it... :monkeydance:

The HiDecal Sheet has a bunch of M4s from "Spring 1992." Chances are that the markings were probably very similar to what they were 6-8 months previously?

The sheet is very nice, I have it stashed away with my kit.

Cheers,

-Hoops