The HiDecal Sheet has a bunch of M4s from "Spring 1992." Chances are that the markings were probably very similar to what they were 6-8 months previously?

Yes I know. I don't have it and I'd like to get it but I don't know if it still it available on our side of the Atlantic.

Yes I know. I don't have it and I'd like to get it but I don't know if it still it available on our side of the Atlantic.

aviationmegastore.com shows that they have one left in stock.

-Hoops

I'm still working on the model but I don't have pics to show. I'm filling up the Pavla nose laser designator hole with Klir. 7 or 8 coats and surface still isn't level... I'm working on the wings in parallel.

Wings leading and trailing edges are thick. The wing gloves trailing edges are flat in fact ! Sanding needed on the outside (I've done part of it). I'll see if I can sand the inside of the gloves so that the trailing edge of the gloves and the wings are more in line.

italeriSu22m4wingGloveTrailingEdge.jpg

Edited by Laurent
My god, they are really thick. But I know, that you will sort this mess out in no time.

It's pretty much done but another issue appeared. When the wing are fully deployed, notches appeared at the top and bottom base of the movable part of the wing. They are not supposed to be there according to the Armada drawings so I've broken the wings appart and I've filled up the notches with plastic card. I'll putty tomorrow.

italeriSu22m4notchFillUp.jpg

Pretty glad I didn't do a 'Fitter' also now.......it would have looked pretty dire when compared to this one with all your corrections !....( I'm taking copious notes BTW ;-) )

regarding the HDL decals for Fitters of the GSFG, I still have the set (minus the sharkmouthed yellow 27) and if you need them let me know as you're more than welcome to them.

Regards Simon.

it would have looked pretty dire when compared to this one with all your corrections !....( I'm taking copious notes BTW ;-) )

Good ! The aim of this thread is to tell what seems wrong (to me) and how to improve some things. I'm not interested in making a state-of-art build at all: I'm not into detailing, shape accuracy is more important to me.

regarding the HDL decals for Fitters of the GSFG, I still have the set (minus the sharkmouthed yellow 27) and if you need them let me know as you're more than welcome to them.

Thanks a lot for you offer Simon but I've ordered the sheet (and other products... :tumble: ) from Jadar.

Edited by Laurent
I wouldn®t, I think the Su with the modified gear on the pictures looks too ®horizontal®, if you know what I mean.
Personally I would, even if only a few mm, that way it'd give the tanks / ordnance a little more clearance and yet keep the distinctive 'sit' of the Fitter.

I think I'll extend all three landing gear legs by about the same amount: 2mm at the front leg and 3mm at the others. The angle will be about the same and more clearance will be given to the things hanging below.

Nothing fancy to show.

italeriSu22m4enCroixTop.jpg

italeriSu22m4enCroixBottom.jpg

Bad Edd has told me that the kit wing parts are thick. They really are. The wing thickness should continually get smaller as you travel to the wing tip. Well...

italeriSu22m4wingThickness.jpg

I'm thinking about breaking up the wings again and thinning the inside of the wing gloves... but it would be long, messy and perhaps not worth the hassle.

Bad Edd has told me that the kit wing parts are thick. They really are. The wing thickness should continually get smaller as you travel to the wing tip. Well...

italeriSu22m4wingThickness.jpg

I'm thinking about breaking up the wings again and thinning the inside of the wing gloves... but it would be long, messy and perhaps not worth the hassle.

Such a noice work ya've done so far on yer Sukhoi aircraft, Laurent, mate! :jaw-dropping: How far d'ya think anyone can go with the thinning process without distorting either the joint at the leading/trailing edge or wing root? I'm faced up with just about the same dilemma with KP's 1/48 Su-22M4 kit... :jaw-dropping:

I wish it were just that, y'know; still the wing fences look too thick for the scale. Replacing them with sheet plastic seems to be the next logical thing to do.

Cheers, Laurent! :jaw-dropping:

Onkel Dunkelgrau

I don't if it would be worth hassling with wings, but replacing the wing fences is a must...

Uh-huh... Oleg, a Russian friend 'o mine told me to have sorted out the thickness on the wing trailing edge of his Su-22M4 build by dropping the flaps in an angle which made a tad difficult for onlookers to gaze at it, d'ya get whut I mean? Laurent, mate; d'ya think it would be too hard to depict the flaps on yer build in a, say... 45° angle?

Oleg's build is the 1/48th scale KP Su-22M4, and lemme tell ya that droppin' the flaps added a huge lot to my mate's kit. Gonna see if he provides me with some shots. Replacing the wing fences ought to be like a walk in the park for someone with the skills of our mate Laurent. :monkeydance:

Yes? yes? yes? yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss...???

Cheers,

Onkel Dunkelgrau

Uh-huh... Oleg, a Russian friend 'o mine told me to have sorted out the thickness on the wing trailing edge of his Su-22M4 build by dropping the flaps in an angle which made a tad difficult for onlookers to gaze at it, d'ya get whut I mean? Laurent, mate; d'ya think it would be too hard to depict the flaps on yer build in a, say... 45° angle?

I won't drop the flaps of the wing gloves because that would mean that I'd need to drop the wings flaps too I guess. Since I want to be able to fold the wings to save space, it isn't an option. I'll just hit anyone who looks my model in front view. Especially the cat icon_twisted.gif I'll do something about some fences.

I've started painting the cockpit.

Edited by Laurent
I won't drop the flaps of the wing gloves because that would mean that I'd need to drop the wings flaps too I guess.

:bandhead2:Mon Dieu, Monsieur Laurent...!!! :blink: C'est trÚs dur d'ÃÂȘtre une modeleur...! Je ne sais pas! (mais c'était trÚs intÚressant). :P

Since I want to be able to fold the wings to save space, it isn't an option.

Save space did ya just say, mista? Oh, Laurent; but ain't this build a 1/72nd scale Sukhoi, mate? How much space foldin' the wings on it would save? Say, how far d'ya think anyone can go with the thinning process without distorting either the joint at the leading/trailing edge or wing root?

I'll just hit anyone who looks my model in front view. Especially the cat icon_twisted.gif

Ah, Sebastien Chabal and Dimitri Szarzewski taught me how to hit opponents comin' out of a mÃÂȘlée in front of me. If ya drop the flaps on yer build, I'll tell them to teach ya as well. Deal?

Cheers,

Onkel Dunkelgrau (celui-là, mon ami).

C'est trÚs dur d'ÃÂȘtre une modeleur...!

Maquettiste. Maquetista in Spanish ?

Say, how far d'ya think anyone can go with the thinning process without distorting either the joint at the leading/trailing edge or wing root?

I think one could make the thickness perfect... if one is willing to rescribe the movable wings and glue them in place.

Maquettiste. Maquetista in Spanish ?

Sí, maquetista, o mås bien "modelista" es el término usado para este hobbie en el idioma Castellano. Me is from Buenos Aires, Argentina; d'ya already knew that, yes? yes? yes? yes? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss...???, Monsieur Laurent?

I think one could make the thickness perfect... if one is willing to rescribe the movable wings and glue them in place.

^_^ Oh? Just the movable wings? Then it oughta be a piece of cake. Whut 'bout the wing gloves? Me thought the thinning process would pose more of a challenge with regard to the wing gloves than the movable wings.

Mind elaborating on exactly how ya would tackle with the thinning process of both the wing gloves AND the movable wings, Monsieur Laurent, please?

Thanks, mate!

UncÂÂČ

Mind elaborating on exactly how ya would tackle with the thinning process of both the wing gloves AND the movable wings, Monsieur Laurent, please?

Problem: The wing glove thickness is slightly more important or equal on the outer edge (movable wing side) than on the inner edge (fuselage side). The thickness should be smaller on the outer edge that on the inner edge.

What I would have done if I wasn't a lazy person:

- sand down the outer front and rear edges of the wing glove top half part so that the top and bottom sides aren't parallel anymore

- sand the inside of the glove halves (to avoid having to rescribe) so that outer edges are sharp

- deepen the panel lines so that they won't disappear after sanding down the wing; the sanding is done so that the wing can fit inside the wing glove again once that the halves are glued

... oh dear... I'm feeling less lazy now :worship:

Argh. I shouldn't have sanded the outside of wing gloves trailing edges. After sanding the inside some plastic is missing to close the gloves. It doesn't really show in the picture but the wings look slightly less "HawkerTyphoonesque"

italeriSu22m4wingThicknessAfter.jpg