[Jan-Pawel] TS-11 Iskra Mastercraft 1/72

Hi,

This my participation to the Warsaw Pact groupbuild.

I'll do a TS-11 "Iskra" ("Spark"). A polish trainer designed at the end of the 1950's by Tadeusz Sołtyk, entered in service at the start of the 1960's and still in service. The last aircraft produced was delivered in 1987.

The aircraft was proposed for the competition for a standard Warsaw Pact trainer but without success (the winner was the L-29).

I often start my topics with a preview of the kit.

The box-art (not a recent one) :

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_01.jpg

The parts :

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_02.jpg

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_03.jpg

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_04.jpg

The kit have engraved panel lines and there is a lack of details, a strict minimum is provided. The clear parts have a transparency problem.

There are two options provided : the TS-11 Iskra 200BR (the prototype of a ground attack aircraft, bort number 0823 and a 4 tones camouflage) and a more common twin-seater Iskra Bis D (bort number 0825 and silver color).

The decals :

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_05.jpg

I will have to find something else...

I will use some accessories :

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_06.jpg

2 PE sets from Part and for the seats, I show here the Neomega KK-1 but I will try to don't use them (I will explain why later).

The documentation :

- Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia n°13 "Samolot TS-11 ISKRA" by A. Misiorek and T. Królikiewicz,

- Aeromax n°1 "TS-11 Iskra",

- Kagero Topshots n°44 "TS-11 Iskra" by Krzysztof Barcz and Dariusz Warszawski,

- "Polskie Skrzydła / Polish Wings" by Wacław Hołyś,

- "Konstrukcje Lotnicze Polski Ludowej", collective work published in 1965.

Edited by Jan-Pawel

And the building starts... with the seats !

Sorry for the quality of the following pictures.

Here, the seats provided in the kit :

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_07.jpg

As you cas see, they are rustic...

I don't know if a craftsman commited a replacement for it. I suppose that the Iskra's seat is a special model for it. That's why in certain side, it looks like the russian KK-1 (used in the MiG-15), but is different in another. So, rather than to use Neomega's KK-1, I'll try to scratch them.

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_08.jpg

For the moment, they are only outlines. Progressively, I add styrene bits with the help of the photos in the Topshots. Of course, no haste ! Between 2 gluing, I must respect some time for glue's drying.

I don't know if a craftsman commited a replacement for it. I suppose that the Iskra's seat is a special model for it. That's why in certain side, it looks like the russian KK-1 (used in the MiG-15), but is different in another. So, rather than to use Neomega's KK-1, I'll try to scratch them.

First planes were equiped with KK-2 ejection seat from MiG-17 and MiG-19 but it was too heavy. After that all TS-11 were equiped with slightly modyfied KK-1 seats from Mig-15.

Large plates were added in shoulder area and headrest was little different with with arch as head protection.

In front Iskra engine SO-1. Back: no 3 - MiG-15 seat, no 4 TS-11 seat.

obraz039.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The building hasn't been dropped but I had to mark a break. One of the reasons is that I had a job interview to prepare (I'm waiting the answer). Other reason is that I'm also working on two others building (a Mustang and a Komet, cf. WIP forum).

I took again the building and the seat are almost finished. I hope that the photos will follow quickly.

• 3 months later...

Back in the business !

After a long break (lack of motivation and other emergencies to settle), the building gets going again progressively.

2 first pictures : PE parts glued to the kit's parts.

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_10.jpg

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_11.jpg

The kit is harder than I believed.

3 next pictures : beginning of the paint job wit the cockpit.

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_12.jpg

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_13.jpg

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_14.jpg

Paints used are from Life Color and Prince August.

Now, before gluing the 2 half-fuselages (with cockpit parts inside), I'm installing the weight in the nose. For it, I'm using lead bullets (bought in a gunshop yesterday). With 6 of them, it will be 48 gr. of lead (approx.) installed in the nose. I suppose that it will be enough !

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_15.jpg

In this photo, in the round box, it's not caviar but the lead bullets for the nose weight. I took 6 of them, hit them with a hammer for to make them more "cooperative" and fixed them with white glue (the type for wood).

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_16.jpg

The two fuselage halves were fixed and it's a (censored) nightmare !

During blanks trials of fitting, I remarked that touching up will be to expect. But I have not expected that it will be so serious !

There is a big gap between the canopy and the antenna, the back wall of the cockpit is clearly too big (the upper part is bigger than the upper part of the fuselage ! It also bother the gluing ! Can you believe it ?). I struggle to place the windshield... :bandhead2:

I have other Iskra kits in my stash (it's my psychopath side), the next time, I will favour styrene sheet.

Edited by Jan-Pawel

For the windshield, the problem is resolved, I think.

While re-reading the PE interior set instruction sheet, I saw that I forgot to

shorten the kit parts which represent the instruments panels (the plague be for my incredible distraction !). For the back post, it shouldn't very embarrassing. For the front post, I detached the instrument panel, shorten lightly the part and re-fix it. A blanck assembly of the windshield shows it fits better.

Pfffiiiiiuuuuuu...

• 2 weeks later...
looks liek a plastic massacre! But I'm sure you're gonna pull it of! Can't wait to see the wings attached on this little aircraft.

Your wish will be granted ! And for a massacre, it's a massacre ! :rolleyes:

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_17.jpg

GB-WARPAC_TS-11_18.jpg

The wings were fixed and their wingtips had to be corrected (I did it before glueing).

Filler was also needed !

Will it be finished for the deadlines ? I hope.