B-26 Counter Invader / Cowlings

Hello,

I,m actually working on a B-26K and now I start with the engines.

I have already rebuild the cowlings to fix the mistakes from Italeri but I have no idea how the cowlings and firewall were painted inside.

I hope that someone could help

MTHX

Wiggi

Hello,

I have already rebuild the cowlings to fix the mistakes from Italeri but I have no idea how the cowlings and firewall were painted inside.

MTHX

Wiggi

I have pictures of a museum piece (Wright Patterson I think and the camo color wraps around the inside of the cowling. There is no other color visible. I can email you some pictures if you PM me your email

I know the B-26K's had at least two different types of cowlings. Some of the ones I have seen have a lip mounted intake and others have an intake mounted further aft on top. I think the type without the lip mounted intake is more common. See the links for more photos. Good luck with your model. :cheers:

Clicky

Clicky

Clicky

Clicky

Clicky

Hello,

MTHX

Wiggi

Wiggi, what are you doing (if anything) about the basic kit engines? Did you replace them with something else or use them as is? I've got this kit and plan to get to it at some point... <_<

I've got the CMK undercarriage set and need to get the CMK cockpit set or the Eduard cockpit set to correct the cockpit to the correct dual control setup.

I really like the B-26K and hope it gets to the top of my "to do" pile soon!

-Derek

Wiggi, what are you doing (if anything) about the basic kit engines? Did you replace them with something else or use them as is? I've got this kit and plan to get to it at some point... :doh:

I've got the CMK undercarriage set and need to get the CMK cockpit set or the Eduard cockpit set to correct the cockpit to the correct dual control setup.

I really like the B-26K and hope it gets to the top of my "to do" pile soon!

-Derek

Hello Derek,

I will show one engine completely open. As engines I used the Vector late R2800 resin parts. This are the most correct and are really nice looking. All the other available engines are not really satisfying.

The same with the cowlings. The Pavla and Quickboost cowlings are wrong as well as the CMK cowlings in the B-26K engine set. Therefore I upgraded the kit cowlings and casted them in resin.

I milled down the engines on the CMK nacelles and I will fit the Vector engines.

You can use the CMK front wheel well but you shouldn't use them for the main gear. For the main gears I can recommend the Eduard etched parts they are the most correct actually available.

For the cockpit I used both, the CMK cockpit and upgraded it with the Eduard parts. If you check the available references you will notice that the CMK cockpit has to be updated prior to using the Eduard parts.

For the controls I used the C-130 steering wheels because the ones includes in the CMK and Eduard set represent the original Invader controls and not the ones for the counter Invader.

Here some pictures:

MainWheel3.jpg

MainWheel1.jpg

FrontWheel1.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Engine1.jpg

Cockpit2.jpg

If you search this forum for "counter invader" you will find some lists where all mistakes in the kit are mentioned.

Very important is to build a correct Counter Invader is to correct the rudder and tail!

If you would like to build the kit, be prepared for blood, sweat and tears!

The kit fit is horrible and has a lot of mistakes!

I hope this was helpful, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Wiggi

Edited by Wiggi

Hello together,

thank you very much for the informations.

But I need to know how the cowlings were painted inside because I will show one engine completely open an the particular cowling will be placed next to th aircraft.

I although have no idea how the firewall behind the engine was painted. On some WW2 Invaders this was painted silver but I think this is not correct for an B-26K.

I hope someone has some more information.

Thanks a lot and regards

Wiggi

Hi Wiggi:

About 10 years ago completed a Counter Invader using the Paragon set, included cowlings, the corrected tail, dual control bits, photo etch, etc. About the only correction item that it did not include were the main wheels. Which at the time I did not know until the project was completed.

P3270009.JPG

P3270012.JPG

P3270014.JPG

P3270020.JPG

P3270024.JPG

All in all it was a fun build, not so labor intensive compared to the Meteor set. It was also my very first attempt to do a major conversion of any kind. I would love to do another one again, as I still have the decal set from Aeromaster Decals for the B-26K.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Hi Wiggi:

About 10 years ago completed a Counter Invader using the Paragon set, included cowlings, the corrected tail, dual control bits, photo etch, etc. About the only correction item that it did not include were the main wheels. Which at the time I did not know until the project was completed.

P3270009.JPG

P3270012.JPG

P3270014.JPG

P3270020.JPG

P3270024.JPG

All in all it was a fun build, not so labor intensive compared to the Meteor set. It was also my very first attempt to do a major conversion of any kind. I would love to do another one again, as I still have the decal set from Aeromaster Decals for the B-26K.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Hello Chuck,

nice job!

Guess what was my first conversion :-)

B-26K.jpg

Please excuse that the picture is not the best one.

I built my Invader from the Airfix kit and I used the Paragon conversion as well as the etched parts from Airwaves.

My decals came from Carpena. I too had no knowledge of the correct wheel configuration and used the True Detail Marauder main wheels and a F-86 front wheel.

Cheers

Wiggi

Any chance of getting a set (buy/trade) of your corrected cowlings?

Cheers,

Larry

Hello Larry,

when my Invader is finished (I think this will be done in April 2011) I plan to release an upgrade set which contains the parts which I manufactured for my Invader.

Actually I'm waiting for the etched vortex generators.

Here some pictures of the ruder / tail and the cowling:

Tail1.jpg

Cowling.jpg

I hope you like the parts and that you can wait.

Cheers

Wiggi

Nice looking work Wiggi! Please put me down for a set of your resin upgrade parts also! I hope you continue to post photos as you work on your B-26K.

I do have a question Wigggi. Are the CMK main wheels correct or does one still need to invest in a set of True Details KC-135 wheels?

Best,

-Derek

Edited by viking73
Hello Chuck,

nice job!

Guess what was my first conversion :-)

B-26K.jpg

Please excuse that the picture is not the best one.

I built my Invader from the Airfix kit and I used the Paragon conversion as well as the etched parts from Airwaves.

My decals came from Carpena. I too had no knowledge of the correct wheel configuration and used the True Detail Marauder main wheels and a F-86 front wheel.

Cheers

Wiggi

Thats a very nice build as I have the 72nd scale Italeri B-26K in the stash. And I do have the Mighty Mouse decals in 48th scale. Im a Navy guy, but something about the A-26 airframe I really like. The 48th has since been destroyed, by a human, which kinda ticked me off, but i saved all the resin bits to build another one. But I would like to add a late WWII silver and a Korean OD (or black) A/B-26C. thanks for sharing

Chuck

Fly Navy

Nice looking work Wiggi! Please put me down for a set of your resin upgrade parts also! I hope you continue to post photos as you work on your B-26K.

I do have a question Wigggi. Are the CMK main wheels correct or does one still need to invest in a set of True Details KC-135 wheels?

Best,

-Derek

Hello Derek,

the CMK wheels are for the "original" Invaders. If you want to build a Counter Invader you have to use the KC 135 wheels.

By the way, this is the only complete correct acessoir for the Counter Invader.

As I know TD released a wheel set for the B-26K including the correct KC-135 wheels so you don't have to buy the KC set.

Cheers

Wiggi

Wiggi,

I'm enjoying following this thread as the A-26A/B-26K is one of my favorite aircraft.

You may want to check out this link on the last remaining flyable B-26K. Lots of pictures and apparently the airplane was in remarkably original condition. B-26K Restoration

I think there are also some links inside to good drawings, etc.

Good luck!

C2j

• 6 years later...

Best,

-Derek

Hello Derek,

I'm still quite busy and had to pause this project.

Nevertheless I had a fine discussion with Whirleybird about a correct Invader.

They found my parts good enough to be produced and they decided to produce and sell them:

IMG_3138.jpg

If you're still interested you might contact them.

Unfortunately the cowlings haven't been produced yet.

Best regards

Sven

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

After a long time of absence from this project I was able to solve some problems regarding the detailing of the engines.

After all I went back to the workbench an continued the construction as you can see.

Cheers

Wiggi

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg