Softbox/tents for Photography....

I am looking to buy a Light Cube or Tent to improve my Model photos... But don't know what I should get, whats the difference between the two pictured below, if any? Pros/Cons??

1-4.jpg2-2.jpg

Cheers

Everyone!

Forgot to add the price isn't factor, as they are both same price...

Edited by moeggo

Short answer: probably not much. Assuming they're the same size, looks like both are portable/collapsible.

The "round" style break down small, but you have to know (or rather, remember) the "trick". I always end up having to watch the video on youtube. It's not *hard* to do, and it's almost like a magic trick when you do it - flip, flip, twist and hey-presto - it's just hard to remember when you go weeks/months without doing it. :thumbsup:

The box looks like it will break down a little more easily... but I don't know how small. If it folds to a square, it'll take up more room when not in use. If it'll roll up completely, it'd be easy to tuck in a corner.

Multi-color backdrops are mostly useless. In fact, you'll probably want to buy a piece of white or coloured paper/cardboard and tape that inside, like the square box shows. Avoids wrinkles on your backdrop that way, plus it's a little more robust. I always shoot against white, others I know always use a bluish backdrop. I can't think of anyone who uses different colours regularly.

The round style is nice and robust, which is good if you plan on moving it around - taking it to a friend's, or your model club or contest. The square style *looks* like it would be slightly more delicate, but I've never seen one in the flesh.

So you can probably flip a coin on it. Both will work well, both will help your photography (it's amazing how much it improves things).

If it helps any, I've got a spare "round" style light tent that I'm looking to unload. I could probably be persuaded to send it your way for a Wingnut or two. :worship:

I don't think there would be any differences, apart from being able to block all external direct light, using the "hide" style slitted front cover.

The "round" style break down small, but you have to know (or rather, remember) the "trick". I always end up having to watch the video on youtube. It's not *hard* to do, and it's almost like a magic trick when you do it - flip, flip, twist and hey-presto - it's just hard to remember when you go weeks/months without doing it. :jaw-dropping:

I printed out this link, laminated it and keep it with my light box

>> Steve's Photo Shop | Light Tent Folding Instructions <<

Edited by Andy Mullen