Here is my entry. Hasegawa 1/48th. I plan to add some ultracast wheels and control surfaces as well as eduard seat belts. I think I have a squadron vac formed canopy somewhere.

Not much going on in the inside. Trying to concentrate more on the visible outside areas. I attempted to paint the dial details.

IMG_4100resize.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

Joined the upper wings to the fuselage to ensure a perfect fit. Also added the reinforcement strips.

IMG_4108.jpg

Here is how she looks now. Had to use a bit of superglue around all the leading edge inserts and sand them into shape.

IMG_4128.jpg

Edited by Isaac
  • 5 weeks later...

Made some progress. I had been traveling for work on and off for the past month and a half.

I have the control surfaces on.

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

Took some time. I should have cut the ailerons off before I had the wings glued together. :lol:

Also had to add a shim of plasticard to restore what I had taken off.

IMG_4184.jpg

Perhaps the ailerons weren't meant to be repositioned. I don't know what to do about this gap.

IMG_4185.jpg

I think I have the lower wing to fuselage join taken care off. Mr surfacer will be the real test.

IMG_4186.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got her all primed up with mr surfacer 1200 thinned with mr color leveling thinner. I traced the outline of the camo with a pencil.

IMG_4193.jpg

I sprayed Gunze Dark Earth.

IMG_4195.jpg

I then lighted it with tamiya buff.

IMG_4196.jpg

I was prepared to spray my Gunze dark green but when I opened up the bottle, it was all dried out. Where am I going to get gunze dark green from in any reasonable time? Not going to happen. I pulled out the instruction sheet for a Tamiya Spitfire and looked for the tamiya mixing recommendation for dark green. It recommended 5 parts XF-62 Olive Drab to 1 part XF-58 Olive Green. This was too dark and didn't have enough olive. I added more Olive Drab and lightened it with Buff until I got something that I was satisfied with. I sprayed the outline of the green camo with my Tamiya Super Fine airbrush and later filled it in with my Iwata Revolution.

IMG_4200.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to touch up the demarcation line in a few areas where it is too soft and fill out a few areas I seem to have missed. I will then lighten it with more buff and spray it over the middle of panel lines to simulate fading as I did with the Dark Earth.

IMG_4202.jpg

Today I touched up the demarcation line and faded the green by adding more buff. Once again for this type of work I use my Tamiya "Super Fine" airbrush. The fading looks excessive but after future, decaling, future, wash, post shade, and a flat coat, it will all be toned down.

IMG_4204.jpg

I'm going to let this cure until tomorrow, then I will give it a light coat of future to protect it. I still need to paint the underside.

You rearly know how to handle a airbrush :salute:

cheers

Jes

Thank you! Its been a lot of trial and error.

Beautiful paint work Issac!...I'm getting ready to start painting my Hurricane and your build certainly is an inspiration.

Great stuff... :wave:

Mark

Hah, your build has been an inspiration to me! Looks like the circle is complete.

I like the paint work- I'm just about ready to start these colors myself on my "Rock you like a Hurricane" post :lol:

Dude, rock it! Are you doing a tamiya mix for the green or are you going with the new tamiya green? XF-8X...

Well, I started to chicken out of painting the roundels on. The hasegawa decals began to curl up on their edges. I've never had that happen before so I pulled them off and began cutting out circles with an olfa cutter.

Here is where the stands right now.

Red: Tamiya Red plus red brown. Probably something like 12:1 maybe?

Yellow: Tamiya yellow plus Orange. 8:1 maybe.

IMG_4224.jpg

It's always exciting when you pull those paint masks off!

Drum roll please...

I'm actually scared. I tried to spray light coats so it wouldn't bleed under.

Isaac,

Stupendous work...

:( :jaw-dropping:

Thanks buddy.

One quick notice... before you forget how to mix that red, you should also paint the Gun fairings, or are you going to cover them up as if they were new?

I'll get the gun fairings a bit later on. I also have to paint the wing walk areas.

I'm actually scared. I tried to spray light coats so it wouldn't bleed under.

I've always sprayed the base colour over any masked area first. Let that dry and then spray the actual colour you want. ( ie, if your plane is Olive Drab, and you are spraying a black marking on, spray OD first, then black )

The first base coat seals the edge of the mask, and if any paint bleeds under, it is the same colour as the background, so the bleed won't be seen.

I've always sprayed the base colour over any masked area first. Let that dry and then spray the actual colour you want. ( ie, if your plane is Olive Drab, and you are spraying a black marking on, spray OD first, then black )

The first base coat seals the edge of the mask, and if any paint bleeds under, it is the same colour as the background, so the bleed won't be seen.

That is a good tip. Another good tip is just to spray some clear varnish.

I was feeling lazy. :jaw-dropping: