I think overall the mission was successful. This was my first attempt and I'd say for a first attempt, not bad. Some lessons learned and thats the whole point! In the future, I need to not be lazy and seal in the masks with some clear varnish before spraying. You can see a very faint outline of white on the wing roundels.

IMG_4227.jpg

Time for the embarrassing close ups!

This side came out really well.

IMG_4229.jpg

This side, not so well. You really have to keep the olfa cutter perpendicular to the surface.

IMG_4230.jpg

Some touchups are needed. Also, I didn't let the paint dry long enough before masking. Maybe it will buff right out?

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

Tail looks good.

IMG_4235.jpg

For the blue I used, XF-17:1 (Sea Blue) + X-04:1 (Blue).

I didn't have any X-04 (royal blue) as recommended by toadwbg (Todd?).

Todd, Toad, whatever.... The roundel blue looks good in the photos. The red looks a litle odd to me, can't say what's wrong and maybe it's just me, too bright?

I forgot that the Hurrican with it's fabric sides and wings in early versions can make the masks more difficult to hold down, you did well!

Thanks Mark!

I haven't had time for any progress. I started up p90x last week and well, thats like a part time job in itself. This weekend it was so hot that I didn't feel like working on my Hurricane. I did however take a photo of my roundels next to an aeromaster sheet.

IMG_4237.jpg

I'm saying, close enough. What bothers me more is my out of round roundel on the right wing...

Thanks Mark!

I haven't had time for any progress. I started up p90x last week and well, thats like a part time job in itself. This weekend it was so hot that I didn't feel like working on my Hurricane. I did however take a photo of my roundels next to an aeromaster sheet.

IMG_4237.jpg

I'm saying, close enough. What bothers me more is my out of round roundel on the right wing...

in your photo at least, that is a dead-eye match to me. I have no idea if the decal printed red is correct or not.

Little update today. Sunday is my mental health day. That means, relax with my dog and work on my hurricane. :yahoo:

Time to spray some details and respray the red in the roundels.

IMG_4292.jpg

I made sure the masks were truly round this time. I sprayed tamiya clear followed by red, followed by white and a red + red-brown mixture (8:1).

IMG_4287.jpg

The right side.

IMG_4294.jpg

The left side.

IMG_4295.jpg

The overall progress. The decals take a long time to loosen themselves from the backing sheet. Mr Setter worked well and the tamiya clear stands up to them very well. Much better than future which melts and whitens (I typically used Micro Set and Sol because of this.)

IMG_4297.jpg

For the life of my I cant cut a small mask for the red in the fuselage roudnels. I'm going to cheat and use a decal from an aeromaster sheet.

Edited by Isaac

Thanks guys!

I've added a pin wash to all the panel lines using mig oils shadow brown. I then gave it a coat of Vallejo flat varnish.

IMG_4310.jpg

Then I did some post shading with a Tamiya nato-black red-brown mix.

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

Ultracast exhaust. Painted red-brown followed by an oil wash, and finally a the black/red-brown mix to darken things up.

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

Getting close. Should have her done by this weekend. Just getting the canopy, aerial, and pitot tube done. Oh and hte foot step too. I might give it another coat of flat varnish.

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

I don't have the skills to do convincing gun stains.

IMG_4344.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lets call her done. The canopy didn't fit very well. It was a bit too narrow. I think I'll add a vac form canopy in the future.

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4424_cropped.jpg

Thanks for following along guys! This was a fun group build.

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun. Painting the roundels was uncharted territory for me. I think I'll try it again in the future! It was also the first time custom mixed a main color. Oh and it was the first time I used resin control surfaces.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...