The next project on my list will be the RNZAF Huey which crashed recently (#06), I have the old ESCI 1:48th kit, Eduards PE and a resin replacement airfilter.

My big question is how best to match the colours in Tamiya Acrylics.

The shot below is of #12 from 2005, any suggestions guys ?

adom-20050306-2038.jpg

Anthony, given that I got the bits from you .. please chime in.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew MacKay

All RNZAF Iroquois (inculding the one that crashed) have been painted in a low-vis overall grey for quite some years now. The all over Green was used around the time of the RNZAF's first deployment to East Timor in the early 2000's from memory.

Edited by dan
All RNZAF Iroquois (inculding the one that crashed) have been painted in a low-vis overall grey for quite some years now. The all over Green was used around the time of the RNZAF's first deployment to East Timor in the early 2000's from memory.

Ta Dan, thought that was the case... just wanted to confirm as you can see that #12 and #11 were a mix of Green and Grey back in 2005. Looks like tamiya dark grey

Hiya Andrew, great to see you building another helicopter. Nice choice of doing '06'. Do you have decals? If not then let me know as I may have some you can have.

Looking forward to seeing some pics

Cheers

Anthony

Hiya Andrew, great to see you building another helicopter. Nice choice of doing '06'. Do you have decals? If not then let me know as I may have some you can have.

Looking forward to seeing some pics

Cheers

Anthony

I have the Decals and parts I bought off you ... so should be right... just trying to nail down the colour of there choppers

Hi all.

Andrew, good choice mate, May God be with the crew and their families

I hope you don't mind, I've posted the only pics of 06 I have, I took these in 2005 at Whenuapai

2005_0409021.jpg

2005_0409025.jpg

2005_0409026.jpg

2005_0409028.jpg

2005_0409029.jpg

Edited by Bell430
Hi all.

Andrew, good choice mate, May God be with the crew and their families

I hope you don't mind, I've posted the only pics of 06 I have, I took these in 2005 at Whenuapai

2005_0409021.jpg

2005_0409025.jpg

2005_0409026.jpg

2005_0409028.jpg

2005_0409029.jpg

Ta bud, interesting that they still have the engine covers in green... Might have to contact 3 sqn and find out what the correct painting scheme is.

Well, those pics were of 06 in 2005.

Below are some more recent pics in 2009 of various Huey's (Not specificaly 06 though, I don't think she was there for that show)

These were all Grey all over

0903210118.jpg

0903210115.jpg

0903210099.jpg

0903210122.jpg

I've taken a few pics of these awesome choppers, if you need any for referance let me know, I don't get a lot of time to check this site or others, but will try to check in from time to time.

Unfortunately I don't have any more of 06 specifically, but I have a few more of other choppers.

Rgds

Jason

The correct scheme is all over FS26118.

They have been this colour for a few years now. I have the official RNZAF finishing scheme drawings.

PM me your email addy and I'll email you a PDF copy of the drawing.

Had a good look at the kit, it's very very basic basic inside, while I do have the eduard PE, I wonder if the CMK set's would make a difference.

Thoughts guys ?

If I'm going that far , should really get Joseph's AES set as well...

Does anyone do good resin seats ? not the armored ones,

Edited by Andrew MacKay

Mmmmm Andrew, I have that CMK superset mate, there is a TON of parts in it. It was so nice I just couldnt bring myself to part with it.

But for you I may just....... Sling me an email or PM and I will chat about it.

I am just off to bed now, so I may not reply till the morning.

Cheers

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

CMK Set's arrived today .... Holy resin batman, how the heck am I going to get all of this into that little plastic shell.

I'll shoot some photos tonight if anyone want's to see what you get in the interior set and Engine set, I also have the Fireball modelworks AES PE and resin on the way as well.

Cheers

Andrew

CMK Set's arrived today .... Holy resin batman, how the heck am I going to get all of this into that little plastic shell.

I'll shoot some photos tonight if anyone want's to see what you get in the interior set and Engine set, I also have the Fireball modelworks AES PE and resin on the way as well.

Cheers

Andrew

I do. I do. I wanna see. PLEEEAAASSSEEE photos. Cant have too many huey stuff.

Any photos of the crash Huey that you will using for your research??? BTW did the crew make it (i hope(

Oliver

I do. I do. I wanna see. PLEEEAAASSSEEE photos. Cant have too many huey stuff.

Any photos of the crash Huey that you will using for your research??? BTW did the crew make it (i hope(

Oliver

Will do Oliver, all the RNZAF huey's are the same so photos of anyone will do, as for the crash only the crew chief survived three others died.

Will do Oliver, all the RNZAF huey's are the same so photos of anyone will do, as for the crash only the crew chief survived three others died.

I was afraid you might say that. Sorry to hear that. I think its in poor taste to ask to see photos of the crash....sorry withdrawing my request of Huey crash photos.

Oliver

Hey Andrew!

Looks like you're once again off to an interesting project: I love the fact that it'll be a tribute build.

Will be following with interest.

• 4 weeks later...

Just started cleaning up the CMK parts and doing some test fitting .... Everything is to small for the ESCI kit.. Thankfully a Italeri 1D came up on Trademe (local version of Ebay) which I bought just to have a spare.

Build process pics will start soon.

Cheers

Andrew

I'll be watching this with interest. I've also bought a couple of 1/48 kits and hope to do 06 for my brother who was part of the police SAR team that responded on the day of the crash. I'd be keen to know more about the available decals. I have some decals for the old green scheme but they're of such poor quality they're unusable. Where do you get 1/48 decals for RNZAF hueys