I think I have read enough reviews and threads on the ICM MiG-25,now I'm ready to start my first build ever!

As a total beginner,this build will be aimed at learning more than modeling itself,that's why I will share it with you here,C&C are welcome:

IMG_5763.jpg

The box contains 99 pieces,with simple but clear instructions,along with Russian/Libyan and Ukrainian decals that I will not use as I will make the Algerian version.That means homemade decals <_< (another thing to try).On the following pic you can see how well are the lines made,and even though this is my first box,I think ICM did a good job on this side:

IMG_5766.jpg

And here is my target,Serial FU-75 of the 110th fighter squadron of Ain Oussera/Algeria.This one was upgraded at the Ukrainian MiGRemont plant in 1999,a nice piece of engineering:

0000024610large.jpg

I have already started cutting/sanding some small parts,just to visualize the assembly.

Edited by dawestsides

Thanks all for the kind words!

First small steps:

I did the wings,the missiles,the wheels and half of the fuselage

IMG_5991.jpg

I got a small question on the Foxbat payload,the standard being 2 x R40T et 2 x R40R (included in the box).

But ICM added 4 x R-60,I searched a lot but I haven't found so far a pic of a MiG-25 with this type of missile...

I'm using the excellent Yefim Gordon's "MiG-25 Foxbat: Russia's defensive front line" as reference and it does mention that the R-60 capability had been added after the PD/PDS upgrade (in replacement of 2 x R-40s,but again no picture.

Another thing,it looks like the R-40 dimensions are wrong:

- The R-40T (IR homing) with the sharp head is supposed to be slightly longer than the R-40R (radar homing) with the rounded head,but in the below pic you can see that it's not the case:

IMG_5994.jpg

I have only one document with the dimensions of both types,maybe it's wrong too...but I can easily solve this issue

If someone can bring up other sources...

Otherwise I will skip the R-60s.

Edited by dawestsides

not an easy subject for a first kit ever.i love the progrees so far.only thing that i found troubleing is the assembley of the wing weapon slots.you should glue them last just before painting just to have easyer way of handling and puty/sanding.

Hi mate!

A good choice of subject, ;)

I only found these two pictures but I hope you have help (the Mig-31 shows that of those who believe are the launching rails).

mig253.jpg[/url][/img]

mig31b.jpg[/url][/img]

:coolio: Gianni

Found this interesting picture of an R-40R undergoing an NDT (Non-Destructive Test) in a hangar in Algeria,This thing is just huge!

3610.jpg

I think I will not use the R-60 on this build.

Edited by dawestsides

Great built!

Most MiG-25PDs carry 2 R-40s and 4 R-60s as a standard loadout.

As R-60s are for self-defence use.

Just as MiG-31 usually carries 4 R-33s and 4 R-60.

The same reason.

55166915201005232255391749735835190_000.jpg

55166915201005232255391749735835190_001.jpg

Keep up the nice built!

Cheers,

Yufei

Thank you Sebastijan,actually I cut them!

Anyway,I'm still progressing in my research and I have found an interesting thing,just follow with me:

For the majority of the Foxbats,the NGL bay door is made up of 5 elements

Russian RB

DSC01187.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01200.jpg

Libyan PD

1165669.jpg

Ukrainian PD

1518642.jpg

Indian RB

w_mig25rbt_i_12.jpg

Russian PD

1513109.jpg

Algerian RBSh

mig25r10.jpg

and Algerian PDs prior to the Ukrainian upgrade

mig25011.jpg

After the upgrade,note that there are only 2 elements

Fox3-Copy.jpg

bay1.jpg

mig25p10.jpg

mig-25101.jpg

It looks like the Algerian upgraded Foxbats are the only ones having this particularity,but I can't find the reason.Any Foxbat expert around? ...Dave :thumbsup:

In the box,ICM is using the 5 elements door

IMG_6015.jpg

...which I will not cut :P

Small update on the middle part of the fuselage,I mounted the MLG wells painted in red

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg

Added the cockpit to the nose,I've decided not to add details,to keep my first model easy

IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

The NLG,painted in red too

IMG_6108.jpg

And the breaking parachute container,typical of the Foxbat

IMG_6110.jpg

The wheel wells are NOT red. They should be grey. The seat is either black or grey

It looks like the inner faces of the doors might be.......

0000024610large.jpg

It could be just the door edges (a la USN) - but the nose door is all red - as is the starboard main gear door...

Dunno about the whole gear bay though..... maybe an Algerian thing ???

Ken