Dunno about the whole gear bay though..... maybe an Algerian thing ???

My bad - I missed that Dawestsides is building an Algerian bird.

This is a lovely start! I love the Mig 25 (along with heaps of other cold war Soviet stuff)!

Nice research going on too, good spotting of the upgraded gear doors!

Will keep watching with interest!

Cheers!

Ol

Thanks Ol,

Actually I did a lot of research on the Foxbat as I'm working on the 3D model too: MiG-25 3D

But the problem is that very few pictures of the Algerian Foxbats are available,I tried hard to contact the MiGRemont plant in Ukraine (I know this is silly) but obviously they will never reply :)

I can't prove it, but the logical explanation would be that moving parts are painted red - with the wells left in their original silver/grey finish.

The edges of the doors on USN aircraft are red-painted to make them more visible to deck crew - to save them banging their heads on sharp edges.

It would may sense for the Algerians to think the same way - paint the insides of any moving part (doors) to warn the ground crews.

The inner faces of the landing gear doors on the Flanker are painted red........

Just my thoughts.......

Ken

Thanks Ken,it makes sense,as you can see the air intakes are having red warnings in French,I think those are the only Foxbats having this type of warnings,apart from the usual maintenance indications.

I took note from many MiG-25s builds available on the net,and the part I was fearing the most came out quite easy,in contrast with other kits - Hasegawa,Revell ,... -that require some extra efforts on the specific air intakes of the Foxbat,again ICM did a good job on this side,and as a total beginner I appreciate it.

Though the MiG-25 is known for its rough and brute design,the massive air intakes are not fully rectangular,and their external thickness is not linear too.Add to this the top intake spill ducts that follow the same curve

Mig25-07.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

ICM solution was to divide the intake in 3 parts:

-External,internal and cockpit side wall

IMG_6247.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6246.jpg

Edited by dawestsides

I had to glue the external part to the internal one and to follow the shape at the same time with the help of a styrene piece

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6253.jpg

IMG_6250.jpg

As you can see below ,the result is quite convincing (I know some putty/sanding is required :worship: )

IMG_6262.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

I had less luck with my 3D model,it was not easy to get the shape that I wanted,but while working on solving issue,I kept thinking about the excellent work the russians engineers did on the bird,even without modern softwares.

clay26-1.jpg

clay25-1.jpg

Edited by dawestsides
Looks very nice! Especially since the beast is getting its shape. And I love your 3D model

Wait till you see it flying in FC 2.0 :thumbsup:

The air intakes are almost completed,and I like the result,as you said,the Foxbat shape is revealing itself

IMG_6263.jpg

IMG_6264.jpg

And the subtle curve I was talking about

IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6270.jpg

The spill ducts require more work I think

IMG_6275.jpg

Edited by dawestsides
  • 2 weeks later...

I just googled for AA-6 photos and from what can be seen from mostly B&W photos, Begemot's instructions are good ones to do it right. Of course they're intended for operational missiles while the ones with the stripes are training rounds.