Hi all,

I've been distracted by a Monogram Thud (335th TFS) and my 1/32 Hunzilla (GA ANG), but I finally got around to starting my 1/48 F-100C kit. It will be a 334th FDS jet from Seymour Johnson AFB, 1957, part of my plan to build every jet the 4th TFW has flown.

f-100c_31760.jpg

I converted a Monogram kit to this jet a few years ago (it's in FSM back around 2000 or so), but I made a few mistakes that I want to fix with this one.

I've got Harold's intake and cockpit set, the main gear struts, wheels, and drop tanks from a Monorgam F-100D kit, and I'll be fixing the tail and a few other details.

So far, I've just been roughing things in, starting with the intake. In case you didn't see my post in the Jets forum, you've got to cut the kit fuselage 3mm forward of the panel line that's supposed to represent the nose part. Trump got it too far aft, and if you cut your nose there, the new resin part won't fit. Cut the duct about 4mm forward of the second reinforcing band on the duct, then sand it back until it fits the resin intake.

DSCN3299a.jpg

DSCN3301a.jpg

I cut about 3mm from the top of the tail, then cut the leading edge back so that the tip of the tail is 2.5 ft across (that's 1/48 feet!). The lower part of the tail is OK, so start your cut at the kink in the tail and go from there. I still need to cut away the fuel tank vent fairing and add a more accurate one. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to raise the rudder up. It's about 1mm too low, but that's probably more trouble than its worth.

DSCN3074a.jpg

DSCN3300a.jpg

I cut the side panels off of the instrument panel so I could raise the center section up a little, and promptly lost one of the side parts, so it's Scratchbuild City! :salute: I think I'll just use the kit decal for the instrument panel, just because I'm lazy and it doesn't look too bad.

No ideal when I'll have time to finish this one, but I'll post what progress I manage to make.

Cheers!

Ben

I cut the side panels off of the instrument panel so I could raise the center section up a little, and promptly lost one of the side parts, so it's Scratchbuild City! :thumbsup: I think I'll just use the kit decal for the instrument panel, just because I'm lazy and it doesn't look too bad.

No ideal when I'll have time to finish this one, but I'll post what progress I manage to make.

Cheers!

Ben

You cut the side panels off which IP? and LOST it? Is this a symptom of being a grandparent? :wave:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words!

Jack, I cut the two ears off of the main panel (the bits with the warning lights and the gear handle). Losing the part is the sign of both failing eyesight and being the father of two teenage daughters! (insert smilie of pulling one's hair out)

Harold, go ahead. I can shoot some more for you if you need them.

Patrick, no, it doesn't, fortunately! It would have been nice, though, if they had at least included an engine compressor face for the intake duct, instead of leaving an open hole. Notice how they left the gun mounting stubs on the sides of the intake duct.

Julien, I'm no expert. I'm just good at bugging those who are for info! :thumbsup:

Hopefully, I'll have a little time tomorrow to do some more tinkering.

Cheers!

Ben

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words!

Jack, I cut the two ears off of the main panel (the bits with the warning lights and the gear handle). Losing the part is the sign of both failing eyesight and being the father of two teenage daughters! (insert smilie of pulling one's hair out)

Harold, go ahead. I can shoot some more for you if you need them.

Patrick, no, it doesn't, fortunately! It would have been nice, though, if they had at least included an engine compressor face for the intake duct, instead of leaving an open hole. Notice how they left the gun mounting stubs on the sides of the intake duct.

Julien, I'm no expert. I'm just good at bugging those who are for info! :thumbsup:

Hopefully, I'll have a little time tomorrow to do some more tinkering.

Cheers!

Ben

Hey Ben, what do you think of an engine face in the intake set?

If I can find a reasonable looking part and maybe mod it to fit on the end.

I know someone with the maglight that will for sure dis the kit in a contest somewhere.

Well, I was able to tinker with this thing a little today. I've just been informed by wife & teenage daughter that we're going to the mall in a few minutes, so I guess I'm done for the weekend.

I've taken off the fuel tank vent fairing, and will add a more accurate one after I glue the fuselage halves together. I'm going to leave the rudder alone, other than to fill the trailing edge of it like the early rudder. I've also filled the panel lines for the fin cap and will rescribe them:

DSCN3304a.jpg

Trumpeter has the open area where the fairing for the stabilators scabbed onto the fuselage molded as a thick chunk of plastic, so I've thinned it. I'll add a little .005 styrene to simulate the inner titanium part of the fuselage. I did it on the 1/32 kit and it looks pretty good.

DSCN3305a.jpg

I'm deepening the afterburner nozzle, and will add some styrene sheet to the interior of the nozzle to dress it up. This looks like it will fit:

DSCN3308a.jpg

In case you're wondering if the instrument panel decal will fit... it won't.

DSCN3306.jpg

The kit decal's instruments don't line up with the raised details on the panel. I was hoping I could be lazy and not have to paint it. I'm not going to waste my Reheat instrument decals on a Trumpeter kit, I'll just use a different shade of black on the dial faces.

Somebody e-mailed me a note that the 1/72 kits "sit" funny, just like the 1/48 and 1/32 kits. I've shortened the main gear struts and turned down the resin wheels on my 1/32 kit to get it to sit right (looks like I've got the struts at the wrong angle! :doh: )...

DSCN3303.jpg

but the problem is the wing is too thin. The 1/48 kit's wing is about 1mm thinner than the Monogram wing at it's thickest point, next to the speed brake, but back at the main gear well, Trump's wing is ~3mm thinner, which has the effect of lowering the attachment point for the strut, making the model sit flatter. Nothing you can do about it, other than shortening the struts and hiding them behind the drop tanks. Unless Harold wants to do a set of wings, based on the Monogram kit....

Oh, I think a compressor face would be pretty good, Harold. You'd really onlly have to do the lower half, since that's all you can see.

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
Oh, I think a compressor face would be pretty good, Harold. You'd really onlly have to do the lower half, since that's all you can see.

Cheers!

Ben

I'll see what I can find...

• 1 month later...