I'm out of commission for a few days

As these things do from time to time, the motherboard (or is it "muthaboard"?) in the six year old G5 gave up the ghost yesterday. I was hoping against hope it was just a bad RAM chip, but alas, no. So, the new Mac Pro G5 mega-machine is on its way from Apple. But in the meantime, I'm dead in the water. Fortunately the fairly new 1 tb hard drive is unaffected, so that and my backup external drive are fine and I'll be back where I started (only shinier, faster, and better looking than I was) once the new machine is delivered.

Gotta love technology.

J

As these things do from time to time, the motherboard (or is it "muthaboard"?) in the six year old G5 gave up the ghost yesterday. I was hoping against hope it was just a bad RAM chip, but alas, no. So, the new Mac Pro G5 mega-machine is on its way from Apple. But in the meantime, I'm dead in the water. Fortunately the fairly new 1 tb hard drive is unaffected, so that and my backup external drive are fine and I'll be back where I started (only shinier, faster, and better looking than I was) once the new machine is delivered.

Gotta love technology.

J

Should have had a PC :salute:

Just kidding.. Been there a few times myself, glad your files are intact.

John

So, the new Mac Pro G5 mega-machine is on its way from Apple.

UnfortunatelyJennings, there's no such thing as a "Mac Pro G5". The G5 belonged to the now-relegated PPC family of processors. All Macs now use Intel processors, including the G5's replacement, the Mac Pro.

Kev

Hey don't pick on MAC MEN, WE RULE! He He.

No worries. Those of us using windows PC machines aren't better off. A relative of mine just had a relatively young, but out of warranty HP laptop fail. Looks like a solder joint failed, judging from a big series of complaints on the 'net about this very model, and symptoms. The model number is just outside the range for an official HP recall, which means some attorney, accountant, or both told them "if you cut the range there, you'll be safe."

Needless to say, HP didn't get the sale for the replacement.

No worries. Those of us using windows PC machines aren't better off. A relative of mine just had a relatively young, but out of warranty HP laptop fail. Looks like a solder joint failed, judging from a big series of complaints on the 'net about this very model, and symptoms. The model number is just outside the range for an official HP recall, which means some attorney, accountant, or both told them "if you cut the range there, you'll be safe."

Needless to say, HP didn't get the sale for the replacement.

Been there bought that and will never buy HP again.

I have an emachines desktop, bought 5 years ago for school, and it is still running great.

I have a dell lap top, Inspirion 5100, bought back in 2004, still runs great.

My newest acquisition for school is a new Dell 1750

Had great service out of all of them. (Thankfully)

Been there bought that and will never buy HP again.

My experience with HP was completely converted me to a Mac guy... It was extremely poor customer service, hardware issues, compatibility issues, and scores of other things.. I will NEVER buy another product from HP

My experience with HP was completely converted me to a Mac guy... It was extremely poor customer service, hardware issues, compatibility issues, and scores of other things.. I will NEVER buy another product from HP

I've heard that from a good number of people. I can vouch that I will never buy one of their printers again. I was shocked at the number of files that I had to install (most of which keep running in the background whether I am using the printer or not). Bloatware at it's finest.

Personally, I suggest to people that if they cant build and maintain their own computer, a Dell is the way to go. They are fairly robust, and Dell has good customer service. I have given Dells to many family, I had a Inspiron 1720 for 4 years till I sold it to a friend, and it is still going fine (I sold it because it was too big to lug around... 17" desktop replacement).

Got the new Mac Pro up and running last night. Back among the living, and not having to post from work :beer4:

J

PS: Yes, I know, but it still looks like a G5 on the outside!

I've heard that from a good number of people. I can vouch that I will never buy one of their printers again. I was shocked at the number of files that I had to install (most of which keep running in the background whether I am using the printer or not). Bloatware at it's finest.

Yea, and the thing is, back in the old days their printers were considered top of the line, and I think their PCs were at least respected. But yes, their included software is not only appalling, it has in recent years I have found, bordered on malware in some cases. And I had to perform "open-heart" surgery on a laser printer some time ago that was surprisingly successful, but generally you don't buy them thinking you'll have to cut all the way into them and clean the basic optics so that they keep running.

Honestly, I don't percieve too much a difference between the different PC hardware manufacturers, other than to note there are price tiers which might correspond to some quality-of-build. But so much of the components in a lot of consumer electronics are from the same plants, so there's seemingly a limit to quality difference, beyond some brand-specific designs (cases, architecture) and perhaps standards (quality of solder, maybe?).

Apple has, I think, some deserved reputation as a premium electronics manufacturer, but I was surprised to learn that even some of Apple's stuff is manufactured alongside "PC" branded components, too. Sadly, I learned about this through a disturbing story.

Edited by Fishwelding