This was the first time I found a snake even close to my house. Turned out I found it IN the house! Well, actually I found it in the garage. As I was trying to find something to pick it up with, it sure was doing that sidewinder move! It couldn't have been more than about a 9"-10" baby. It even tried to snap at me once when I was using my "Wonder Bar" to pick it up. To all you snake lovers, I have to report the snake didn't make it. Once I got it into the little trash can, the Commander insisted I not release it.

Okay, I think it was a baby rattler. My question is, based on these pics, does anyone know for sure what this was?

Thanks.

Mark

(Oh, my son took the photos when I hollered for him to, "grab the camera" after I found the snake.)

IMG_5043a.jpg

IMG_5047a.jpg

Edited by F106A

I just took a quick look on line for you and it looks like a Diamond backed or a Blotched water snake. Non poisonous but they sometime act like rattle snakes or cotton mouths.

Mr. No Shoulders = bad for garage. My Commander in Chief ordered me to dispatch one last year. Actually, my CINC and my neighbors CINC BOTH told us to give the snake some concrete shoes. It was a helluva battle though.

Dunno what you have there, but I always say it is wise to be cautious rather than let it learn your doorstep.

After a little Googling I agree with Viper0177..looks like a Diamondback Water Snake. We have a similar species here in Michigan. Non poisonous, but still rather aggressive (as you discovered!) I caught one once and tried to make a pet out of it, but it was too ill-tempered, and I let it go. I had a garter snake for a couple of years..they're quite docile and make great pets.

Also, while rattlers don't actually grow their signature noisemakers until adulthood, your critter doesn't have the typical wide, pointed triangular head of a rattler, or the small pits in front of the eye (which are used to sense the body heat of prey, and make rattlers part of the "pit viper" family.)

SN

This was the first time I found a snake even close to my house. Turned out I found it IN the house! Well, actually I found it in the garage. As I was trying to find something to pick it up with, it sure was doing that sidewinder move! It couldn't have been more than about a 9"-10" baby. It even tried to snap at me once when I was using my "Wonder Bar" to pick it up. To all you snake lovers, I have to report the snake didn't make it. Once I got it into the little trash can, the Commander insisted I not release it.

Okay, I think it was a baby rattler. My question is, based on these pics, does anyone know for sure what this was?

Thanks.

Mark

(Oh, my son took the photos when I hollered for him to, "grab the camera" after I found the snake.)

IMG_5043a.jpg

IMG_5047a.jpg

As per previous comments, a Diamondback water snake (Nerodia rhombifera). Common (in your area and much of the South) and a harmless species. Also as per previous comments, tends to have nasty disposition (important for small and otherwise defenseless species). Leave them alone and they won't bother you. BTW, the argument can be made (with some validity) that every one of these you kill makes room for another cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorous) with which they co-exist and compete for food (small fish, frogs). Might consider that next time CIC orders ordnance on target.

- Dan

Thanks guys. Yea, I too searched this snake after I posted the original message. I had no clue. We kind of decided that if it looks like a rose, and smells like a rose.... Well, you get the the idea. I'm going to show these photos to my squadron SERE instructor on Monday and get some of his intel on this snake. I love those guys!

Thanks for the info from everyone on the snake though!

Mark

Gorgeous snake, lovely colouring and it looks like it might still be fairly young.

No need to ever kill a snake, truly saddens annoys me when people kill everything out of ignorance and fear.

Snakes, like all other animals are here for a reason. All part of a larger ecological dependancy chain.

Thanks for sharing, here in UK the wildlife is pretty scarce

EDIT: Im annoyed you listened to your wife, there was absolutely no need to kill it!

Edited by model_madness
The only good snake is a DEAD one! I hate snakes! I freak out when I see them on TV.

Your'e an ignoramus that's why.

If the whole world killed whatever they didn't like or felt squirmish about, or what displeased them - well...imagine the mess!

Hold on, that's exactly what happens in reality, courtesy of people like yourself.

That's cause you either a sissy or a woman
Your'e an ignoramus that's why

A bit heavy on the personal insults side, MM? A lot of folks don't like snakes. It's not really a reason to go off high order on them.

A bit heavy on the personal insults side, MM? A lot of folks don't like snakes. It's not really a reason to go off high order on them.

Not at all, read my response, pretty well explained in response to an idiotic statement like only a dead snake is a good one.

Do ppl like you and him realise that attitudes like this are the reason the world in in such *&%*%!!

I rest my case.

p.s the first reply was joke, lighten up bud, or are you looking for a squabble?

Edited by model_madness
The only good snake is a DEAD one! I hate snakes! I freak out when I see them on TV.

I guess the comments made by model madness about being sissy must also apply to many of US too ..What do you think?

Model madness you sound angry ..calm down...

edit:spelling.

Edited by HOLMES
Particularly poison snakes, 'near my house'.

I'd have squashed it too!

:woot.gif:

Not at all, read my response, pretty well explained in response to an idiotic statement like only a dead snake is a good one.

Do ppl like you and him realise that attitudes like this are the reason the world in in such *&%*%!!

I rest my case.

p.s the first reply was joke, lighten up bud, or are you looking for a squabble?

Wow, some people make some lighthearted comments and you open up full hot ... :woot.gif:

Why is St Patrick's Day so celebrated then ... ;)

Gregg

Actually, I think people being openly hostile to folks they don't even know because of their opinions might have something to do with it. Then again, it could be just me.

As I said, some people really don't like snakes, it's not a reason to call them names.

Hold on, that's exactly what happens in reality, courtesy of people like yourself.

I think that's a pretty bold statement to make about jimz66, unless you know him personally. Perhaps he was expressing the dead snake statement as a means of expressing his distaste for them. It doesn't mean he goes out and actively seeks to destroy snake populations.

When I lived in Florida, my daughter was 3 years old. Occassionally, cottonmouths and rattlesnakes would seek out parts of our yard to make a home, the same backyard my 3 year old played in. To me, this was an unacceptable arrangement. Relocating them seldom helped, because they'd return or a new one would take their place. Sometimes, killing them was the only way to get rid of a "problem" snake.

Last time I checked, snakes are not an endangered or threatened species.

P.S.:

Ah yes, the old "it was only a joke" response. You forgot the jaunty emoticon. :woot.gif:

Edited by Waco

I have a very real fear of snakes that doesn't make me a bad person. What makes me different then someone squashing a bug or a worm? Snakes CREEP me out. Thats all there is too it. There ugly, their slimy, their gruesome. I can't say anything good about them. Thanks Waco for having my back.

I have a very real fear of snakes that doesn't make me a bad person. What makes me different then someone squashing a bug or a worm? Snakes CREEP me out. Thats all there is too it. There ugly, their slimy, their gruesome. I can't say anything good about them. Thanks Waco for having my back.

+ 1 ... :cheers:

:D, We have a type of snake here on the East coast of Australia called the eastern brown snake. These guys are members of the cobra family and very aggressive and also very deadly.They will go you at the drop of your hat if you're within their range. There is also another snake found pretty well all over Australia called the red belly black.

These guys aren't deadly or aggressive, in fact they will run away from a human unless we accidentally corner them (happened to a friend of mine at the worksite we worked at once after she hadn't noticed the snake sunning itself on a door mat outside a door she had to enter a building by, but the snake still didn't attack her, he tried to get away by attacking the glass door) a bite from one of these is painful and will make you pretty sick for a few days but the interesting thing is that a blackie will eat 50 brownies in his/her lifetime.

It used to be that people (farmers particularly) used to kill as many blackies as they saw, believing that black was the devil's colour and being serpents they were considered to be the devil himself. Every blackie they killed gave 50 much more dangerous brownies another chance at life. There are photos on the net of a blakie eating a brownie at Gundagai in the south west of New South Wales. Interesting thing about this case wa the brownies, although he was completely consumed by the blackie, irritated the blackie and eventually made his escape after turning around inside the black snake. Google for black snake eating brown snake at Gundagai.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Yes, a phobia ... :cheers:

>>> Clicky <<<

Gregg

Actually, I think people being openly hostile to folks they don't even know because of their opinions might have something to do with it. Then again, it could be just me.

As I said, some people really don't like snakes, it's not a reason to call them names.

Not liking something, is totally different to saying its only good dead.

Jews were killed and massacred throughout the last millenia by Christians and Muslims alike because they were misunderstood, different and people showed no tolerance.

Once again, step back and think about HIS statement and the ramifications of thoughts and actions like that.

I think that's a pretty bold statement to make about jimz66, unless you know him personally. Perhaps he was expressing the dead snake statement as a means of expressing his distaste for them. It doesn't mean he goes out and actively seeks to destroy snake populations.

I don't buy that cop out for 1 second.

He clearly stated..."the only good snake is a dead one"

Stop minimising the impact of his words, instead of referring to my "only a joke" reply

When I lived in Florida, my daughter was 3 years old. Occassionally, cottonmouths and rattlesnakes would seek out parts of our yard to make a home, the same backyard my 3 year old played in. To me, this was an unacceptable arrangement. Relocating them seldom helped, because they'd return or a new one would take their place. Sometimes, killing them was the only way to get rid of a "problem" snake.

In exceptional circumstances I can understand the need when it comes to a human life

However, that said, there are agencies and people that dedicate their lives and spare time to assist people with problem intrusions, and will relocate the snakes for you.

Killing them is NOT a solution.

Remember, they are here for reason, whether you or others like you appreciate that or not.

Killng them willy nilly will only cause ecological distress in the long run.

Last time I checked, snakes are not an endangered or threatened species.

You obviously havent checked in decades!

I advise to you go and do a quick internet search.

Their habitats and environs are under constant threat from mans encroachment, many on endangered lists.

P.S.:

Ah yes, the old "it was only a joke" response. You forgot the jaunty emoticon. :cheers:

I reponded to this above.