Don't know if this was stated, but there's a big article in the Dec 2010 issue of Air Forces Monthly about the F-35. It's about the cost overuns and such. It also brings this question up. We won't sell the F-22 to others, but we will the F-35? And will they get a "watered down" version?

Don't know if this was stated, but there's a big article in the Dec 2010 issue of Air Forces Monthly about the F-35. It's about the cost overuns and such.

The SecDef has announced a new, low cost alternative to the F-35B.

dog-in-plane-costume.jpg

Edited by Murph
i seen on the local news last night that beaufort is getting 5 of the f-35 next week. time to keep the camera handie.let me clear that f -35 up its not 5 of them but 5 squadrons of them http://www.f35beaufort.com/

You should go an camp out now! There are sure to be huge crowds. Bring plenty of everything, could be a bit of a wait.

Israel wants more free F-35s. Double Bam!

Umm, yeah, read the article, its says the "F-35s in exchange for settlement freeze" deal fell through and they are seeking 20 more F-35's in addition to the 20 they are already contracted to buy. It says nothing about getting them for free. Based on this article they are not getting ANY F-35's for "free" thus they cannot be getting "more" free F-35's.

Edited by graves_09
...and the hits keep coming.

Second engine. Bam!

Marine Corps IOC delay. Bam!

Israel wants more free F-35s. Double Bam!

Awesome - the senate is throwing billions at GE for a 2nd engine that no one in the military wants, while at the same time, cutting the number of aircraft to save money. It's good to see that there is no more pork / earmarks anymore.

With regard to the latest delay on the B-model, the article quotes the Marine Commandant General:

“I’m really not wringing my hands over that,†General James Amos told reporters today at the Pentagon. “It will be when it will be.â€

You gotta love a guy like this. The F-35B program is ready to sink and he makes a statement like that. "We'll just keep giving Lockmart billions and they will get us the plane whenever they darned well feel like it". God forbid someone starts to get tough with these clowns.

Kinda reminds me of that ROTC cadet in Animal House telling the panicky crowd to "remain calm, all is well" just before he gets trampled.

At least the country is doing great financially and we can afford all this waste.

Keeping the second engine going may be a way to keep the UK interested in future purchases of F-35s ...

As it stands now with the Marines being the only likely purchaser of the Bravo, those things are going to go up in price ...

Gregg

Umm, yeah, read the article, its says the "F-35s in exchange for settlement freeze" deal fell through and they are seeking 20 more F-35's in addition to the 20 they are already contracted to buy. It says nothing about getting them for free. Based on this article they are not getting ANY F-35's for "free" thus they cannot be getting "more" free F-35's.

Newsflash:

The article was included because I generally try not to editorialize on crap. But, this article is full of misleading statements and errors. I strongly support Israel, but am getting a little tired of their crap--like them being in the top espionage threats to the US, for example.

First, there was no "deal for settlement freeze". That was a rumour started (and finished) by overzealous/wishful thinking Israelis. 20 JSFs for a 90 day freeze?! That doesn't pass the giggle test regardless of what side of the political spectrum you are on. Note that the "sources" for the information are the Israelis. This reporter did not even try to confirm anything the Israelis said with US sources.

Second, they ARE getting the first batch free, and are trying to get more free. How do I define free? US taxpayers are paying for the Israeli jets--all of it, including the extra development effort the Israelis want. There isn't one red shekel going into US coffers to pay for the Israeli jets. They are using their US military aid allotment (which is US taxpayer $$) to buy the jets. Kind of like giving your kid a $100 debit card that you funded, then getting all excited that "they" bought you something for Christmas with it.

11bee gets righteously and rightfully indignant about the second engine issue, but everyone keeps glossing over how much the Israeli JSF fleet is going to cost US taxpayers.

Edited by MarkW
Newsflash:

11bee gets righteously and rightfully indignant about the second engine issue, but everyone keeps glossing over how much the Israeli JSF fleet is going to cost US taxpayers.

FWIW, I have issues with our continued funding of Israel (in general) and the JSF deal (in particular) but since I am already skirting the dreaded political side of all of this, I figured I would stay well away from anything involving Israel.

The reason the Pentagon has been trying to cancel the second engine for so long is because of successful lobby attempts and padding of pockets by the makers of the FIRST engine.

Competition is a good thing, especially when no contracts are being signed now. No deals are being made. They're just saying "Build it, we'll pick the best and most cost-effective when the time comes" -- and that is the real reason to have 2 engines competing.

I wouldn't read too much into that Marine quote, either. The plane will get done when it is. Any fines, fees, penalties assessed because it's late will be decided later. In the meantime, there's no point placing arbitrary deadlines on it and then looking stupid in the eyes of the nation when that doesn't happen. It just makes sense to let the project evolve a bit more before you can lay down that kind of timeline.

Look what kind of problems and public ridicule the arbitrary timelines in the mideast have caused this country. I doubt he wants a repeat.

Although cutting back the numbers is disturbing. Stupid, even.

I don't think you are implying LM should be allowed to dawdle along until they get it right, though that is one way to read your post.

The real problem is the inability of LM and the govt to develop realistic development timelines and budgets. Simply saying "we'll get what we get when we get it" is a nearly criminal abdication of responsibility for anyone required to ensure tax dollars are wisely spent or that the war fighter gets the capability they asked AND budgeted for.

Guest Michael Bay
X-32....it looked like a big, friendly whale :)

bab8541d100440cc9c136c2fb42162a9.jpg

Ahhh! Woooh! What's happening? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I? Okay okay, calm down calm down get a grip now. Ooh, this is an interesting sensation. What is it? Its a sort of tingling in my... well I suppose I better start finding names for things. Lets call it a... tail! Yeah! Tail! And hey, what's this roaring sound, whooshing past what I'm suddenly gonna call my head? Wind! Is that a good name? It'll do. Yeah, this is really exciting. I'm dizzy with anticipation! Or is it the wind? There's an awful lot of that now isn't it? And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello Ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.