Unlike the F-22, there are no options for a manned strike platform the U.S. is willing to consider. That's probably the biggest reason we haven't heard any serious talk of U.S. numbers going down. The cuts coming down now are more common sense deferrments than anything. 1700 or more is more likely IMO than not.

I find the cancellation of the replacement for the HARM to troubling. Unless there is something else in the pipe line? If I recall correctly some of these new Sam systems out range the HARM? I know that stealth reduces detection ranges, but, still, from what little I know of SEAD, the job is dangerous enough is it not? YGBSM.

I find the cancellation of the replacement for the HARM to troubling. Unless there is something else in the pipe line? If I recall correctly some of these new Sam systems out range the HARM? I know that stealth reduces detection ranges, but, still, from what little I know of SEAD, the job is dangerous enough is it not? YGBSM.

You really can't beat the AMRAAM and HARM. Why invent in something new when you can upgrade the old into infinity? (tongue in cheek)

Any information on how the F-35 radar signature compared to the Super Hornet when all external stores are loaded?

It will be better.

I understand the arithametic. If they carry the same external store, the sum of radar cross sections of the stores plus airframe will give the F-35 an advantage in number. The real question is whether this difference in number has any real impact on the mission that requires the A/C to carry a full load of external stores? Does it justify the use of a more expensive (F-35) airframe for this type of mission?

I understand that it is not the basic objective of the F-35 design and that's why the test of hard points are not carried out earlier.

I understand the arithametic. If they carry the same external store, the sum of radar cross sections of the stores plus airframe will give the F-35 an advantage in number. The real question is whether this difference in number has any real impact on the mission that requires the A/C to carry a full load of external stores? Does it justify the use of a more expensive (F-35) airframe for this type of mission?

I understand that it is not the basic objective of the F-35 design and that's why the test of hard points are not carried out earlier.

You are kind of missing the point. The F-35 won't be stealthy enough with external stores to be better in a tactically significant way than a F-18E/F. The hard point testing is also relatively independent of the internal bay testing. The driver here is ensuring the basic handling is what you want before you goon up the aero with pylons.

The F-35 will bring range, payload, and a superior multi spectrum sensor/EW package over the SuperHornet. Unless you are plinking targets that are undefended and in plain sight (happens all the time in Afghanistan), the F-35 brings to the table the ability to close the kill chain much better than anything else out there.

Which, by the way, includes all those targets in Afghanistan that are NOT in plain site.

Now, more news. F-35 is moving towards real flights. What this article means is that regular pilots will soon be able to fly non instrumented jets, as opposed to the current flight test control room environment of right now.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120226/DEFREG02/302260012

F-35 will continue to get controversial press up until it comes into regular service and once doing so displays itself at minimum in the various training competitions such as RED FLAG, MAPLE FLAG, TIGER MEET, WILLIAM TELL, and TOP GUN. Once it does so and to the hopes of all involved proves to be a competent platform, then it will see better, less controversial press.

Not really. Its an article that says if it costs too much or takes too long they Might cancel it. Its as set as erasable ink on recyclable paper.

Yup, Thats what it says ....

Dispite my-standpiont on this, I am getting nervous for all the "F-35 or Bust" industry now reliying on this venture. This, unfortunatly, is not the only DEFENCE MINISTER being officaly concerned.

F-35 will continue to get controversial press up until it comes into regular service and once doing so displays itself at minimum in the various training competitions such as RED FLAG, MAPLE FLAG, TIGER MEET, WILLIAM TELL, and TOP GUN. Once it does so and to the hopes of all involved proves to be a competent platform, then it will see better, less controversial press.

-same was said about the F-111 ?

Edited by ixgr1

Yup, Thats what it says ....

Dispite my-standpiont on this, I am getting nervous for all the "F-35 or Bust" industry now reliying on this venture. This, unfortunatly, is not the only DEFENCE MINISTER being officaly concerned.

-same was said about the F-111 ?

F-111 turned out to be a good strike platform. From what I read and recall crews that flew it felt it to be a quality platform and as it developed into a good night and adverse weather strike aircraft. No the F-111 was never a multi-role or air to air bird but in dumping bombs not a bad machine at all. You Aussies used them the longest.

F-111 turned out to be a good strike platform. From what I read and recall crews that flew it felt it to be a quality platform and as it developed into a good night and adverse weather strike aircraft. No the F-111 was never a multi-role or air to air bird but in dumping bombs not a bad machine at all. You Aussies used them the longest.

-all true....BUT The '111 was also conceived as a multi service/use platform.

As is the the F-35 ? In this modern world of strike fighters, I hope the F-35 multi-use is successful. If not a lot of pepole are going to "lose the farm" ? (and THIS is my concern)