So we also have a critical need to upgrade all of our neglected strategic systems? Glad money is still free flowing, that sounds terribly expensive.

Someone spit in your clam chowder or something?

There is a backup to decommission nuclear warheads but do you really think that the cost to scrap the entire ICBM force outweighs the savings? Plus it's only a matter of time before one of those poor "Missileers" goes postal. We'd be doing them all a favor.

That would not only take out one of the elements of the triad, but last I heard the new SAC will have only about 10 assigned bombers. The US has very very few strategic bombers and they have other commitments. I don't expect the ICBMs to go anywhere until you have the LRS-B up and in numbers.

That would put it all on Submarines. maybe Parche can tell us more.

S Korea is the new Germany but the problem is that you can't fit a full US Army corps over there (and even if you could, the South Koreans would not want them). Plus, as I noted, a good portion of the country is not exactly ideal mech terrain.

REFORSKOR '15

So maybe it is time to drastically cut the Army. One has to give credit where it is due. The Marines are much more savy and will never be subject to truly deep cuts, despite the fact that many believe their amphibious mission to be obsolete. The cold war is over, Afghanistan will thankfully be done in the near future and it seems like the Army has just now realized that their "core competencies" don't seem to have much relevance post-2014.

The army still has a mission. the need for the big heavyweight slugger is still there. they trained for years to fight the USSR, but the dividends from that went to other missions. Its not a waste of time or effort to train for the big dog, and then have to take on a smaller dog along the way. Don't assume that a war with China would play out just like WWII pacific 2.0. May end up looking closer to WWII europe, (amphib assaults with year long land campaigns) in which case the Army has serious homework.

Post Vietnam the Army really got back to its original post WWII mission, which was WWIII. It was "helped" with a pretty hesitant political body, and a war weary population.

Ahhhggg....what's 7 years and 163 Billion over budget??? No big deal...c'mon.

I love that opening meeting...jesus, how many more folks can we cram in here??? A valve installed backwards... :coolio:/>

Edited by 82Whitey51

Ahhhggg....what's 7 years and 163 Billion over budget??? No big deal...c'mon.

I love that opening meeting...jesus, how many more folks can we cram in here??? A valve installed backwards... :coolio:/>/>

It almost felt like that whole scene was just a fabricated PR exercise to demonstrate to the taxpayers how "tough" Bogdan is on his contractor.

It almost felt like that whole scene was just a fabricated PR exercise to demonstrate to the taxpayers how "tough" Bogdan is on his contractor.

Sure was nice of 60 minutes to play along like they did ... hey thats how that colonel "knew" what Bogdan was going to say!!

We're through the looking glass here people...

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Sure was nice of 60 minutes to play along like they did ... hey thats how that colonel "knew" what Bogdan was going to say!!

Tai, do you work on the F-35 program there in TX? I'm guessing you do.

I'm a fan of it, mostly because it employs a lot of people I know...has and will for a seemingly long time.

Sitting in the VFW after work here in the Pax River area, you get a real good grunts eye view into the program...and the pot of money is growing pretty large on the date the "C" model makes a trap.

It was a pretty accurate representation of day to day business.

So maybe it is time to drastically cut the Army. One has to give credit where it is due. The Marines are much more savy and will never be subject to truly deep cuts, despite the fact that many believe their amphibious mission to be obsolete. The cold war is over, Afghanistan will thankfully be done in the near future and it seems like the Army has just now realized that their "core competencies" don't seem to have much relevance post-2014.

It's coming, winter is here in the Army. We're about to see the smallest active duty Army since before WWII and the smallest Corps since 1950. The Corps amphibious operations is more relevant than ever. Just in the past two decades they were used over a hundred times and are expected to be used at a higher rate in years to come which is why the push happened a few years ago to reorganize their force structure. The Army's two core competencies is to train and equip soldiers/grow leaders and provide the bosses with a ground combat force. What I think you're trying to say is what does a post 2014 Army look like? I say one that can fight irregular warfare and on a linear battlefield, either way, one that is refitted, trained, and ready to roll. Where will we do our fighting? I don't know, my guess is somewhere we didn't expect.

IMO, 60 Minutes got played by LM and the military. Toss some softball questions, don't question any of the answers, sit in the jet and play with the fancy helmet, etc.

Not exactly cutting-edge investigative journalism, but then again, 60 Minutes hasn't been relevant in ages.

IMO, 60 Minutes got played by LM and the military. Toss some softball questions, don't question any of the answers, sit in the jet and play with the fancy helmet, etc.

Not exactly cutting-edge investigative journalism, but then again, 60 Minutes hasn't been relevant in ages.

True enough. They didn't even bother questioning the whole how/why some valve got installed backwards that was handed to them on a platter.

Never mind that the hook on the "C" is too short, that's a major deal, we either redesign our carriers or redesign the airplane.

How's about the fact that (for the umpteenth time, BTW) that all the NAVAIR people who did the last Tailhook design for the F/A-18A are retired or dead along time ago?

The Superbug and all later versions of the Hornet simply copied a design that worked, there was little to no analysis done in those designs. The last of that "multitude of experience" was gained in the 1970s!

How's about the fact that (for the umpteenth time, BTW) that all the NAVAIR people who did the last Tailhook design for the F/A-18A are retired or dead along time ago?

The Superbug and all later versions of the Hornet simply copied a design that worked, there was little to no analysis done in those designs. The last of that "multitude of experience" was gained in the 1970s!

Errr...did their blueprints die as well? Come on! <_< That's a pretty lame excuse. See above underlined text.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Errr...did their blueprints die as well? Come on! <_</>/> That's a pretty lame excuse. See above underlined text.

The blueprints sure didn't!! Luckily NAVAIR still had all the numbers, that they then gave to lockheed. Then... wait for it... The numbers were wrong. Unfortunately lockheed had already followed them. The same thing happened to the X-47 why? well because it followed the same bad numbers given by the navy.

I'm assuming the fact that it needs to be "stealthy" is the reason for the complications?

That would be a poor assumption. the Tail hook itself is unstealthy it hides in its own compartment:

f10-39871.jpg

Edited by TaiidanTomcat