The worlds most numerous 5th Generation Fighter:

The total number of F-35 aircraft is now greater than its fifth-generation peer, the F-22.

By Ian Keddie, Research Analyst, Defence and Military Analysis Programme

The latest figures released by Lockheed Martin confirm that the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) is now the most numerous fifth-generation aircraft in existence, overtaking the F-22 Raptor as it moves closer to becoming the ubiquitous twenty-first century airframe. At the end of 2015, 154 Low Rate Initial Production aircraft had been produced in addition to 20 System Development and Demonstration (SDD) models. A total of 53 F-35s are due to be built in 2016 and second quarter earnings information, released by Lockheed Martin on 19 July, revealed that 20 of those 53 aircraft had been delivered by the mid-point of the year.

When the last F-22 was delivered to the United States Air Force (USAF) in May 2012 it marked the 197th (189 plus eight SDD) fifth-generation aircraft to be built. Three Raptors have been lost in crashes since it was introduced, leaving 194 in existence. At 2016 production rates, a new F-35 is completed in Fort Worth, Texas, or at Cameri, Italy, in less than seven days. The figures revealed to Lockheed Martin investors brings the total number of F-35s to 194 (174 plus 20 SDD airframes) as of 26 June and marks a major landmark for the much-maligned programme.

Two F-35A will be on static display at the Abbotsford Air show near Vancouver, B.C., Canada, this weekend. Again besides VF-122 F-18E/F Super Hornet Demo, Boeing will have Ricardo Traven demo a newest block F-18E/F with a load out as well. Lockmart is not able to have a F-35 demo for the show, hence by having two F-35A come off reg USAF service. Eurofighter is to be in attendance but it looks like no Typhoons. Apparently VIP's from PM Sunny Way's government and maybe DnD will be at the show. Attendees will be able to get a good look at F-35A in real life. They will be roped off with 10m /33ft distance ropes. Funny security measures but will make for better unobstructed by people in pics, photos.

Edited by Gordon Shumway

...Funny security measures but will make for better unobstructed by people in pics, photos.

Not really. I remember when the F-117's and B2's were first making the airshow circuit. I saw them both at the LIAS (different times of course) and they were roped off to keep the crowds away. Glad the F-35's will be there though. Enjoy!

:cheers:

Roping off F-22s was fairly common too.

Don't hold your breath on Singapore:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-08/singapore-puts-off-decision-on-whether-to-buy-lockheed-s-f-35

Note: Singapore has always been a joke on the program. They have been about as serious as a Kamikaze pilot on his 35th mission....

Roping off F-22s was fairly common too.

Don't hold your breath on Singapore:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-08/singapore-puts-off-decision-on-whether-to-buy-lockheed-s-f-35

Note: Singapore has always been a joke on the program. They have been about as serious as a Kamikaze pilot on his 35th mission....

Next year announcement is the rumor. Not that I don't suspect that some of the most vehement mouth breathers out there won't count this as a hug victory and begunning of the end

Yea he does share sentiments about the aircraft. He's had a good career in fighters & as a test pilot & instructor. I'm retired & he's active duty. I value his opinion. I've only commented once on this topic because it showed up in a Google search while looking for something else. I typically don't get involved in ***** measuring contest with a buck of folks who spew conjecture. OPSEC is not an issue. I know more about that than anyone having come from the Special Operations community. Next?

Your arrogance and presumption about who the rest of us are certainly qualify you as the most knowledgeable. Bravo sir. It at the very least validates you are what you say you are.

Two F-35A will be on static display at the Abbotsford Air show near Vancouver, B.C., Canada, this weekend. Again besides VF-122 F-18E/F Super Hornet Demo, Boeing will have Ricardo Traven demo a newest block F-18E/F with a load out as well. Lockmart is not able to have a F-35 demo for the show, hence by having two F-35A come off reg USAF service. Eurofighter is to be in attendance but it looks like no Typhoons. Apparently VIP's from PM Sunny Way's government and maybe DnD will be at the show. Attendees will be able to get a good look at F-35A in real life. They will be roped off with 10m /33ft distance ropes. Funny security measures but will make for better unobstructed by people in pics, photos.

I was at the Toledo, Ohio show and I got in trouble because my camera lens crossed the yellow caution tape blowing in the wind. :rolleyes:/>

IMG_4280_zps5m7seczz.jpg

Mike

Yea he does share sentiments about the aircraft. He's had a good career in fighters & as a test pilot & instructor. I'm retired & he's active duty. I value his opinion. I've only commented once on this topic because it showed up in a Google search while looking for something else. I typically don't get involved in ***** measuring contest with a buck of folks who spew conjecture. OPSEC is not an issue. I know more about that than anyone having come from the Special Operations community. Next?

We are all very impressed I assure you.

Again no one called your son in law wrong or a liar or doubted his Credentials or yours. You took it upon yourself to introduce him into this thread and then take everyone to task for a perceived slight against both of you.

I made my response, I've said my piece.

Keeping slaying those internet windmills

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Saw F-35A from Hill AFB on static display this weekend at the Abbotsford Air Show. It's quite impressive looking in real life. Talked to the pilot for a few minutes. He's a former Viper pilot and told me he loved his F-16 but the F-35 is in another class. Its radar,sensors, ECM, total situational awareness etc. etc. etc. is impressive. He told me if by chance he'd have to merge into a dogfight with it means he made a mistake 50 miles earlier. That said he was confident that F-35 can hold its own in a dog fight. He noted he looks forward to soon enough do some dis-similar ACM with F-16, F-15 etc. and he believes the F-35 will win more than it may lose.

That said the two F-18F demo's were as expected great. VFA-122 put it through its as known nice display. The Boeing F-18F corporate display with 6 AIM-120 (inert) and 2 AIM-9X (inert) was kick a** too. The narrator was doing a pretty good hard sell of Super Hornet. Regardless of how one feels about all these new combat jets, Super Hornets are pretty kick butt birds too.

What the Canadian government will do, I don't know. I will say this, spending $500+million to extend what is left of our legacy CF-18 fleet to keep the relevant untill 2025 IMO is foolish. Put that $500+million towards our next combat jet.

After watching the RIAT displays of the F-22 and F-18, it's clear to me how much of a difference there is between Gen 4 and 5. I know the F-35 isn't a F-22 in maneuverability, but I assume it'll be close in its ability to maintain/recover energy while maneuvering. I can't imagine buying F-18s would be anything but a waste if you have better/more affordable options.

...I can't imagine buying F-18s would be anything but a waste if you have better/more affordable options.

Agreed. This is the reason that anytime there has been a decision to be made between the SH and F-35 for a country looking to replace its aging aircraft, the F-35 has won the selection.

:cheers:

Saw F-35A from Hill AFB on static display this weekend at the Abbotsford Air Show. It's quite impressive looking in real life. Talked to the pilot for a few minutes. He's a former Viper pilot and told me he loved his F-16 but the F-35 is in another class. Its radar,sensors, ECM, total situational awareness etc. etc. etc. is impressive. He told me if by chance he'd have to merge into a dogfight with it means he made a mistake 50 miles earlier. That said he was confident that F-35 can hold its own in a dog fight. He noted he looks forward to soon enough do some dis-similar ACM with F-16, F-15 etc. and he believes the F-35 will win more than it may lose.

That said the two F-18F demo's were as expected great. VFA-122 put it through its as known nice display. The Boeing F-18F corporate display with 6 AIM-120 (inert) and 2 AIM-9X (inert) was kick a** too. The narrator was doing a pretty good hard sell of Super Hornet. Regardless of how one feels about all these new combat jets, Super Hornets are pretty kick butt birds too.

What the Canadian government will do, I don't know. I will say this, spending $500+million to extend what is left of our legacy CF-18 fleet to keep the relevant untill 2025 IMO is foolish. Put that $500+million towards our next combat jet.

Thanks for the info. Neat that you got some good answers from a flyer

Super Hornets are silver medals. It's nice but it's not gold. I can't believe canadian politicians are trying to sell canada on silver. But here we are.

Billy Flynn is pointing put that the USAF is going to station 48 F-35s in Alaska to do the same arctic patrols many canadians have convinced themselves it can't do.

Canada would be crazy to buy super hornets, especially if the F-35 is as large a leap as is being stated

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Thanks for the info. Neat that you got some good answers from a flyer

Super Hornets are silver medals. It's nice but it's not gold. I can't believe canadian politicians are trying to sell canada on silver. But here we are.

Billy Flynn is pointing put that the USAF is going to station 48 F-35s in Alaska to do the same arctic patrols many canadians have convinced themselves it can't do.

Canada would be crazy to buy super hornets, especially if the F-35 is as large a leap as is being stated

I agree, F-35 would be the best choice based on all I learned. Talking to the F-35 pilot really sealed the deal for me. That said had I talked to Ricardo Traven I bet he'd have sold me hard on the F-18E/F too :woot.gif:. Politics rears its ugly head too though, PM Sunny ways and his government along with DnD obviously have more to digest than just us folks do. F-35 is the Gold medal to F-18E/F as Silver. I really only see it as a two way fight. Not sure what Eurofighter offers as spinoffs, Typhoon is a great jet too but it is hardly a value leader. The Swedes and the French probably want to bend the government's ear too. Frenchy reportably says Canada can have all the source codes to Rafale and will be free to modify Rafales to suit our needs including making adjustments to use US based missiles etc. It's all fine for the spirit of competition. But F-35 is still first choice IMO.

I don't know and have no vote on the matter but if Canada goes Super Hornet it will serve in the RCAF ably, but its mission profile will not be as wide scope as F-35 would be. To be a fly on the wall during all this would be fascinating. I'm just tired of all our government's foot dragging (both major parties over the years to be politically fair in my angst). I do not want $500 Million or more spent to keep a few dozen CF-18's flying into 2025. Make an informed decision on as efficient time frame as we now can is my point.

Edited by Gordon Shumway

I agree, F-35 would be the best choice based on all I learned. Talking to the F-35 pilot really sealed the deal for me. That said had I talked to Ricardo Traven I bet he'd have sold me hard on the F-18E/F too :woot.gif:/>. Politics rears its ugly head too though, PM Sunny ways and his government along with DnD obviously have more to digest than just us folks do. F-35 is the Gold medal to F-18E/F as Silver. I really only see it as a two way fight. Not sure what Eurofighter offers as spinoffs, Typhoon is a great jet too but it is hardly a value leader. The Swedes and the French probably want to bend the government's ear too. Frenchy reportably says Canada can have all the source codes to Rafale and will be free to modify Rafales to suit our needs including making adjustments to use US based missiles etc. It's all fine for the spirit of competition. But F-35 is still first choice IMO.

I don't know and have no vote on the matter but if Canada goes Super Hornet it will serve in the RCAF ably, but its mission profile will not be as wide scope as F-35 would be. To be a fly on the wall during all this would be fascinating. I'm just tired of all our government's foot dragging (both major parties over the years to be politically fair in my angst). I do not want $500 Million or more spent to keep a few dozen CF-18's flying into 2025. Make an informed decision on as efficient time frame as we now can is my point.

I think that is one of the more frustrating aspects of this, the DND and RCAF have done their homework. There are years worth of assessments and reports and all of them say the F-35 wins. Yet the indecisiveness continues, and they want more assessments, presumably to ignore since they don't seem to care, and call for more assessments before some are even released.