34 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

That's cool and all but AIM-9X has proven to be easily spoofed by Soviet era decoy flares ...:whistle:

-Gregg

Oh boy...another Sukhoi/Mig Fanboi lamenting poor US Technology.

32 minutes ago, Chris L said:

I must be missing something about the F-35....?  I thought it was supposed to be a stealthy bird. Am I wrong ?

Cheers, Christian 

It can carry weapons internally only to be stealthy, and then add them externally when there's less of a threat so that it can carry more.

33 minutes ago, Chris L said:

I must be missing something about the F-35....?  I thought it was supposed to be a stealthy bird. Am I wrong ?

Cheers, Christian 

It is. On the first few days of a war when high value targets need to be hit, it would go with internal ordnance only. Once air superiority has been achieved, or if lower value, less defended targets need to be hit, it becomes a bomb truck. I think what most people are missing is the F-35 is essentially an A-7 on steroids.

The RCS loss is also only as much as the pylon and AAM itself too. (In other words putting a 9x on an external pylon doesn't mean it stands out like it's competitors no matter how many times they try to say it does)

15 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

That's cool and all but AIM-9X has proven to be easily spoofed by Soviet era decoy flares ...:whistle:

-Gregg

I know, right? It's missed EVERY TIME they've used it! 100% failure rate against live targets!!!

2 hours ago, Chris L said:

ok , so it has internal stores . Seems like that might be somewhat limiting when you have so many targets in the beginning .

Cheers , Christian 

You can have stealth or you can tote lots of missiles.  Hard to do both.  

Also, in the US case, most of the day 1 air to air work would be assigned to F-22's.  

Edited by 11bee

An F-35 with only two bombs will still get two bombs more on certain targets than a legacy platform will.

If the warhead can't be delivered to the appropriate forehead, it's irrelevant how many warheads are carried.

I was thinking on the lines of internal load ( bombs ) and no defence ( misiles )  but I guess you could have missiles and a bit of visibility....

F-22's may not always be available in real life .

Cheers, Christian 

22 minutes ago, Chris L said:

I was thinking on the lines of internal load ( bombs ) and no defence ( misiles )  but I guess you could have missiles and a bit of visibility....

F-22's may not always be available in real life .

Cheers, Christian 

There are a lot of options actually. You can forego the bombs and go all internal missiles, or a single bomb and more internal missiles. There can be F-35 "missile trucks" that have full internal and external missiles moving amongst the packs of F-35s armed with bombs. There is also the fact that F-35s designate for other aircraft. So an F-35 can be empty and still directing AAMs and getting kills. The navy and marines are going to use F-35 for fleet defense using ship launched SAM. The marines are going to use it to direct artillery even after it's out of bombs. The possibilities are amazing

That's why its different than the past. And that difference is starting to be noticed. Its a whole new way of doing things. Its not a matter of one F-35 carrying 2 missiles, it's one F-35 with as many missiles are in range of the target across all platforms, carrying the weapon itself is not required. 

Guess we have come a long way since my days of the F-4 s and the F-16's   . Hope all that good stuff works when needed.

Thanks, lot of good info.

Need to sign up for a couple ...LOL.

Cheers, Christian

I think people assume it's an all or nothing proposition..

Not EVERY SAM system in a threat area or theater of operations will be a SA-10/SA-21 system..there will be A LOT of SA-6, SA-11 or such that legacy platforms currently face..and not every aircraft will be a late model MiG/Sukhoi/PLAAF unit..there will still be tons and tons of legacy Russian and foreign aircraft the F-35 will have to face. 

Of course there will be situations where they'll need to tuck everything in, sneak in all sneaky like and put a JDAM on a forehead, and there will be times when the threat level is anticipated to be lower and they can hang some explodey bits on the wings while still being stealthy and have fantastic sensors and force organization abilities. 

3 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

There are a lot of options actually. You can forego the bombs and go all internal missiles, or a single bomb and more internal missiles. There can be F-35 "missile trucks" that have full internal and external missiles moving amongst the packs of F-35s armed with bombs. There is also the fact that F-35s designate for other aircraft. So an F-35 can be empty and still directing AAMs and getting kills. The navy and marines are going to use F-35 for fleet defense using ship launched SAM. The marines are going to use it to direct artillery even after it's out of bombs. The possibilities are amazing

That's why its different than the past. And that difference is starting to be noticed. Its a whole new way of doing things. Its not a matter of one F-35 carrying 2 missiles, it's one F-35 with as many missiles are in range of the target across all platforms, carrying the weapon itself is not required. 

BINGO!

The F-35 is a complete weapons system. From my understanding one or more F-35's can actually fire and control  the ordinance of other F-35's.  If no F-22's are  doing HiCap,  you can have some F-35's  doing  HiCap, others loaded to the hilt with bombs  and their radars  off and yet other  F-35's doing ECM while   delivering   ordinance of those F-35's which have their radar off. PLUS F-35's increases lethality of 4Gen jets like  F-15E, F-16C/D, F-18C/D, F-18E/F. Toss in B-2's as big loaded  stealthy trucks, B-1's on low level strike and B-52's as stand off trucks well it is all quite a force. Even our beloved  :worship: A-10's can likely benefit from such force integration.

Edited by Gordon Shumway
On 7/6/2017 at 4:20 PM, GreyGhost said:

:doh: (because I can't find a "clueless" emoticon...)

Just because you are carrying internal JDAMs doesn't exclude carrying a culture AIM-120s internally.

Just because you are carrying external AIM-9X doesn't mean anything at all.

16 hours ago, Gordon Shumway said:

From my understanding one or more F-35's can actually fire and control  the ordinance of other F-35's. 

An F-35 can pick a target for, and then guide a Standard missile launched from a destroyer to that target.

31 minutes ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I'm hesitant to put to much faith in these sorts of articles, but according to this Motley Fool article, the next batch of F-35s is going to be significantly cheaper, and potentially cheaper than a Super Hornet:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/07/16/surprise-lockheed-martins-expensive-f-35-now-costs.aspx

Hmmm. 

The close was funny, the fate of Boeing's fighters was decided with x-32. 

I was looking up some videos for the HMS Queen Elizabeth and ran across this:

Nothing earth shattering but still kind of cool.

Imagine the HMS Queen Elizabeth fully fitted out with these aircraft! Very cool! Now...Airfix...you did a nice job on the 1/350 "Lusty" can you provide us with a good 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth please (only add more aircraft then you gave us with Illustrious).

Nice looking ship:

Regards,

Don.