LRIP11 negotiations for F-35s resume after one-year hiatus

08 February, 2018 
BY: Stephen Trimble 

Washington DC 
US government officials have delivered the first formal response to Lockheed Martin’s 14-month-old pricing proposal for more than 100 F-35s ordered under the 11th annual lot of low-rate initial production (LRIP11), says Lockheed chief financial officer Bruce Tanner. The step revives pricing negotiations on LRIP11 between Lockheed and the joint program office a year after long-delayed contracts for LRIPs 9 and 10 were finalized after the personal intervention of US president Donald Trump. “The government’s first offer just came back within the last two or three weeks. We’re evaluating that,” says Tanner, speaking at the Cowen Aerospace/Defense & Industrials Conference on 8 February. Tanner offered no explanation for the delay between Lockheed’s original proposal submission and the government’s first response. The Pentagon’s F-35 Joint Programme Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But the delay drew a soft complaint from Tanner. “We’re about 50% of the way spent through LRIP11 at this point of time,” Tanner says. “We’re actually fairly late in the day for getting an offer back. Hopefully, we’ll get to closure pretty soon.”

The Department of Defense awarded Lockheed an interim contract for $5.58 billion last July to continue building LRIP11 aircraft as negotiations continue. The final cost of F-35s built for LRIP11 could be worth twice that amount. Lockheed received a $9 billion contract to build 90 F-35s for LRIP10. Meanwhile, Lockheed has ordered suppliers to ramp up production for LRIP lots 12-14. The government and international partners plan to commit to buying at least 440 F-35s over the three-year period. By 2022-23, Lockheed expects to be building between 150-170 F-35s a year, Tanner says.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend that lives at cold lake . I have asked him why more than once ?   On the flip side managed I skilfully avoided TDY assignments to said base because it sounds dreadful...LOL

Cheers, Christian 

My reference was about the early to mid eighties . I didn't know anyone  there at the time , so I have no frame of reference .

I do believe that going from Nellis to Cold lake would have been a chilling experience.

Cheers, Christian 

10 hours ago, Chris L said:

I have a friend that lives at cold lake . I have asked him why more than once ?   On the flip side managed I skilfully avoided TDY assignments to said base because it sounds dreadful...LOL

Cheers, Christian 

Christian,

I was stationed there 8 years, I loved the place. It is a great place to raise a family, a lot of outdoor activities. Summers are very nice, long days. And it is growing, a lot of amenities exist that didn’t a short while ago. I had a beautiful new home on the lake. Driving anywhere was easy, not like the big city I am in now. We still visit, there are a great number of bed and breakfast locations right on lake. My son was born there, so I’ll always be a Cold Laker.

11 hours ago, Chris L said:

My reference was about the early to mid eighties . I didn't know anyone  there at the time , so I have no frame of reference .

I do believe that going from Nellis to Cold lake would have been a chilling experience.

Cheers, Christian 

I did TD (Canadian version of TDY) in the mid 80’s and yes it was an outpost at that time. I don’t think it even had a McDonalds until the late 80s. From what I remember it didn’t even have a restaurant open after 6 PM and there was nothing for retail.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Noisy protest to protest F-35 noise.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/03/05/ben-jerrys-co-founder-arrested-f-35-protest.html

As long as they keep on making Cherry Garcia, it's all good.

We wouldn't want the F-35 bringing noise to a quiet international airport, so I really feel for him

On 2/18/2018 at 12:33 PM, seafuryfb said:

Just found this on the web :www.dvidshub.net/image/4115039/first-italian-f-35b-arrives-nas-pax-river

f-35b_cameri__main.jpg

May not see too many more of these if the "Five Star" political party takes power, as is expected.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2018/03/07/f-35-in-peril-as-italys-five-star-political-party-nears-power/

Also, looks like the folks in Burlington, VT aren't interested in hearing "The Sound of Freedom".  Shocking...

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2018/03/06/burlington-voters-approve-anti-f-35-ballot-initiative

Of course, this means absolutely nothing (at least barring any changes by VT's congressional reps). 

I love reading the comments in articles like the one in 11Bee's post. They are highly entertaining.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2018/03/06/burlington-voters-approve-anti-f-35-ballot-initiative

"If you should ever wonder why the streets are always in such bad shape, or the schools are in constant need of repair and property taxes keep going up and up, if why the wealthy few always have enough but more and more people fall into poverty, or the lake is STILL dying or why we still don't have universal healthcare, just look up and watch as an F-16 flies overhead, and when the F-35's start that will be even more of an answer.

Military spending is hollowing out the country as is the ridiculous amount spent on the Police/Surveillance State and the billions wasted on contractors cashing in on the Corporate Gold Rush ever since 9/11....[etc etc etc]".

Sad Sadness GIF

Edited by Don
13 minutes ago, Don said:

I love reading the comments in articles like the one in 11Bee's post. They are highly entertaining.

"If you should ever wonder why the streets are always in such bad shape, or the schools are in constant need of repair and property taxes keep going up and up, if why the wealthy few always have enough but more and more people fall into poverty, or the lake is STILL dying or why we still don't have universal healthcare, just look up and watch as an F-16 flies overhead, and when the F-35's start that will be even more of an answer.

Military spending is hollowing out the country as is the ridiculous amount spent on the Police/Surveillance State and the billions wasted on contractors cashing in on the Corporate Gold Rush ever since 9/11....[etc etc etc]".

Ahh....Vermonters gotta Vermont.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

May not see too many more of these if the "Five Star" political party takes power, as is expected.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2018/03/07/f-35-in-peril-as-italys-five-star-political-party-nears-power/

Also, looks like the folks in Burlington, VT aren't interested in hearing "The Sound of Freedom".  Shocking...

Of course, this means absolutely nothing (at least barring any changes by VT's congressional reps). 

Italy is canceling the F-35 again? I didn't bother to click.

If Bernie wants to let the F-35 go to appease them, so much the better. We will take them along with the jobs and infrastructure and tax base that comes with them here. 

The only reason they have them at all was Bernie pulled strings for them. It's an international airport for crying out loud. It's not a library. Noise is the excuse to stop the evil MIC

The F-35 is ruining what was once a quiet international airport!

Edited by TaiidanTomcat