13 hours ago, MarkW said:

Yeah, so… Not too many enlisted crewmen flying in the singleseat fighter community...

Yeah so, we’re talking about the maintenance and logistics  side of things here, not flying. I’m sure the pilots love the F-35 ( when it works and the helmet clip isn’t broke) but right now, nobody wants to go to F-35s as a groudpounder.

29 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

but right now, nobody wants to go to F-35s as a groudpounder.

Given the article I linked and all the other stories out there, sounds like nobody wants to go to any marine aircraft/ helo as a groundpounder.  

22 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Given the article I linked and all the other stories out there, sounds like nobody wants to go to any marine aircraft/ helo as a groundpounder.  

When the osprey hit the fleet I started telling Marines that eventually the "two curves would meet, then move in opposite directions -- you'll be safer in a new widow maker osprey than you will In an old a$$ phrog"

I get that things are bad on the logistics side for the F-35, yet elsewhere it's even worse.

So I'm sorry but my torch is staying unlit and my pitchfork in its stowed condition. I really want to be enraged, I do. 

Am I supposed to be more mad when only 5 out of 10 F-35s can fly, or more mad when only 2 of 10 hornets can? Help me out. More mad over a helmet clip fiasco or more mad about hornets crashing and killing people.

Help me out. I want to be mad

1 hour ago, Don said:

Could be worse....the U.S. could be buying used legacy Hornets...

Image result for toss grenade close the door meme

....:wave:

In a way they are.   To help address the Marines critical legacy Hornet issues, they are obtaining large numbers of used legacy Hornets from the Navy.  

Only difference is that those Aussie jets are probably in better shape.  

58 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Only difference is that those Aussie jets are probably in better shape.  

They better be because they'll probably be in service for another 30 years up north.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

In a way they are.   To help address the Marines critical legacy Hornet issues, they are obtaining large numbers of used legacy Hornets from the Navy.  

Thats nothing new. That's been happening since the Super Hornet debuted.

What changed is they are actually starting to run out of spares and support. There was also a bunch of "horse trading" before this where the Navy was taking legacy hornets from Marine squadrons, that might have been higher in hours but weren't shot and trapped out.  That's also what the boneyard raids are about. Hornets that were mothballed by the USN because they were done on CVNs, but they still have life on them should they ever be a need. Well there is finally a need as the spares are running out everywhere

its a giant shuffle game even among the newer Super Hornet fleets they are having a lot of movement 

You need to remember that all USMC aviation is bought and paid for by the USN. So anytime they wanted a Marine Hornet they just took it. Which might have been another reason why getting super hornets may not have worked out. The navy just goes "those are some Nice super hornets there, it would be a shame if someone borrowed those for an upcoming cruise because they were shorthanded..." 

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
  • 2 weeks later...

Given that Turkey seems well on it's way to being an adversary of the US, or at minimum, an "Islamic Republic", this may not be such a bad idea.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/20445/senate-bill-to-ban-f-35-sales-to-turkey-an-unprecedented-attempt-to-check-erdogans-actions

Might also be prudent to get all those B61 tactical nukes out of Incirlik while we still can.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Given that Turkey seems well on it's way to being an adversary of the US, or at minimum, an "Islamic Republic", this may not be such a bad idea.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/20445/senate-bill-to-ban-f-35-sales-to-turkey-an-unprecedented-attempt-to-check-erdogans-actions

Might also be prudent to get all those B61 tactical nukes out of Incirlik while we still can.

Absolutely. They should NOT have the technology. Other actor states want to tap that technology and you can bet that certain "new friends" of Turkey would be all over them in short order. Allowing the sale to go through would be a huge error on our part regardless of the increase in cost per aircraft.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Stealth is only a "niche capability".   Good to know...  

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2018/04/25/no-stealth-no-problem-eurofighter-makes-its-pitch-against-f-35-in-berlin/

Got a feeling the Germans are going to select a local product, regardless of capability.  

Of course they would say that when they don't sell a stealth aircraft. This is about money and not aircrew safety.

20 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Absolutely. They should NOT have the technology. Other actor states want to tap that technology and you can bet that certain "new friends" of Turkey would be all over them in short order. Allowing the sale to go through would be a huge error on our part regardless of the increase in cost per aircraft.

Exactly, only the closest allies should be entrusted with that technology, even then it should be limited.

Shock of shocks--the services are insular and don't talk to each other, even on a JOINT program.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2018/04/27/the-corps-struggles-to-maintain-the-f-35-overseas-as-after-action-reports-enter-an-echo-chamber/?utm_source=clavis

And ALIS, Deployable ALIS (Deplorable?) ALIS, whatever flavor you want, is still broken.

7 hours ago, MarkW said:

Shock of shocks--the services are insular and don't talk to each other, even on a JOINT program.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2018/04/27/the-corps-struggles-to-maintain-the-f-35-overseas-as-after-action-reports-enter-an-echo-chamber/?utm_source=clavis

And ALIS, Deployable ALIS (Deplorable?) ALIS, whatever flavor you want, is still broken.

They should make a joint lessons learned department overview commitee department review system group

Antonov AN-124 load of F-35 ground equipment landing at RAAF Williamtown today.

First RAAF F-35s due later this year. Things are moving along. And not a word from Kop and Goon.

Shane

On 4/30/2018 at 11:28 AM, MarkW said:

So, from an outsider here...without ALIS, the jet doesn't fly?

Couldn't imagine this system operating in an environment like Iraq or Afghanistan.

6 hours ago, sweier said:

Antonov AN-124 load of F-35 ground equipment landing at RAAF Williamtown today.

First RAAF F-35s due later this year. Things are moving along. And not a word from Kop and Goon.

Shane

Just doesn't seem right transporting anything related to the F-35 on an An-124 with Russian crew aboard. ....Weird....

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

So, from an outsider here...without ALIS, the jet doesn't fly?

Couldn't imagine this system operating in an environment like Iraq or Afghanistan.

If they can't fly without ALIS, and ALIS is still not full up. How have F-35s been flying the last 10 years?

You can't imagine avaition logistics computers and software operating in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
43 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Just doesn't seem right transporting anything related to the F-35 on an An-124 with Russian crew aboard. ....Weird....

The An124 was probably operated by Volga Dnepr.... a Ukrainian company, who even have shifted stuff for the U.s military....

36 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

If they can't fly without ALIS, and ALIS is still not full up. How have F-35s been flying the last 10 years?

You can't imagine avaition logistics computers and software operating in Afghanistan or Iraq?

So by your logic above, sounds like ALIS is "full up"?  Thank goodness, I thought this day would never arrive.

As far as point #2, wouldn't you say that ALIS is a bit more than just a "aviation logistics computer".   As far as operating in environments like Afghanistan or Iraq, from the article MarkW linked:

When the Corps transferred the F-35 to Japan in 2017 after-action reports revealed the need to consider weather issues when shipping the ALIS system.

“While the aircraft were transferred to Japan through Alaska, ALIS was moved through Hawaii because of concerns about how the freezing temperature would affect the logistics system.”

Sounds like the system might be a bit "fragile", so yes, it's probably worth asking the question as to how well the system can function in an austere, forward deployed location. 

A bit OT to your post but I would also wonder how durable ALIS is against cyber attacks.  It seems that if someone was able to corrupt the system, it could pretty much be a "mission kill" for the entire F-35 force.  Thankfully, none of our potential adversaries would fight us in such an underhanded manner.