Navy 2020 or 2045 or 3030 or whatever the hell their long term plan is called always envisioned Shornets and 35s working in the composite wing of the future. It makes more sense for them to practice now for how they will operate the next 20 years.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Darren Roberts said:

I'm surprised a Super Hornet squadron got the first -35's. I figured a legacy Hornet squadron would get it.

They don't have enough -35C's in inventory, to be able to make the transition, versus taking the Legacy squadrons out of service. When -146 transitioned to the Super, they got the vintage Lot 24 aircraft that were left over from CVW-5 squadrons (and had been in long term storage and picked apart during that time) from -122. The first Super that 146 got, was so stripped she was towed down with a bunch of tri-walls and had to be built. She hadn't flown in 5+ years. However, the Supers that 147 had were newer than that, so fast forward 3 or 4 years. The birds 147 had, are going through a PMI phase and are being given to 146. In turn, the 146 birds are probably going to get the Block III upgrade that NavAir keeps talking about. 137 and 192 still have airframes that range from Lot 23-25. 137s are their original transition airframes, and 192 got some more of the CVW-5 hold overs, that also had to be built.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 11:43 PM, -Neu- said:

Its coloured... same as VMFA 121's bird. 

Until 1 October at least. Form what I've been told, all color is to be removed from aircraft at the beginning of the new FY. Variations of gray will be acceptable, but the days of full color Navy CAG and Marine Corps Command Jets are apparently over. 

Don't think these videos have been posted of F-35's operating off of HMS Queen Elizabeth:

This one has an irritating robotic voice but its not bad:

Regards,

Don

Regarding the Brit ops--anyone notice they didn't pass over the stern?  The sidle up along mid ship then lateral over.  I know there was significant angst and hand wringing with the USN regarding the possible downwash effects passing over the stern of the LHDs, which like most of the Navy gross paranoia, turned out to be not an issue.  From what I can see of the QE design, it seems to be a much cleaner deck edge than our ships, so It's curious to see the side approach.

11 hours ago, Don said:

Don't think these videos have been posted of F-35's operating off of HMS Queen Elizabeth:

This one has an irritating robotic voice but its not bad:

Regards,

Don

Years of concept art coming to fruition

Pretty sure that in the longer term, the Brits will be also landing over the stern.   With regard to the Queen Eliz, that's a nice looking boat.  Plenty of deck space compared to the US amphibs.     Not to sure about those huge windows on the flight deck control facility though.   Having stadium seating inside to view deck ops is really neat but those things could be lethal of the boat ever takes a serious hit.    One thing I do like about this ship is this:

Still amazed that something like this hasn't made it's way to colonial navy yet.

Edited by 11bee
1 hour ago, 11bee said:

One thing I do like about this ship is this:

Still amazed that something like this hasn't made it's way to colonial navy yet.

They named their bar The Queen's Bathroom!?! :-D

For you non-sailor types, the bathrooms on a ship are called "heads".