3 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

Purely a slap to Trump.
What else out there can compete with upcoming Russian aircraft.

That would make sense if they eliminated the Super Hornet, which they did not. 

The real reason? They need an ECR replacement to keep the rest of their Eurofighter fleet viable and provide a broader EW capability, which the F-35 is not really designed for. 

9 hours ago, -Neu- said:

The real reason? They need an ECR replacement to keep the rest of their Eurofighter fleet viable and provide a broader EW capability, which the F-35 is not really designed for. 

If the need for the ECR replacement is a driving factor in this purchase, I would think that BA is now in the front running, since they can now offer the Growler (and the upcoming NGJ pods) for that role.  Also, given that BA has been very aggressively discounting their pricing for competitions that they feel they need to win, I would think solely on a cost standpoint, they will be much superior to the Eurofighter.  

On 1/13/2019 at 8:59 PM, a4s4eva said:

Bit of thread drift but hey I like talking aircraft 😄

Finally, the A-380, the technology is fine, it s more the market that changed. And whilst a few have been retired at least one has found a new home. Plus Emirates still operate over 100 of these, it's suits there hub and spoke model well.

Totally OT but thought it was worth posting.   Looks like the A380 technology is not "fine" (at least for those jets powered by RR products) and with regard to Emirates (the only airline that truly seemed to like these monsters)...  looks like things aren't particularly fine with that fleet either.   Might want to get your A380 flights in sooner rather than later.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgoldstein/2019/01/31/has-the-end-come-for-the-airbus-a380-not-with-a-bang-but-with-a-whimper/#1639da5b4e2c

One of the things that needs to be considered in the german Tornado-replacement is the nuclear capability. The Tornado has been nuclear-certified (for the B-61) and the successor needs the same. It´s pretty obvious that a US-produced aircraft like the Super Hornet has a better chance to get certified within a certain time-frame than an european product (like the Typhoon/Eurofighter). Not even mentioning that Airbus wouldn´t like to have their product completely opened up to the US and so that they can "certify" the helle out of it (and look for interesting things... 😉 ).

HAJO

The Marines are retiring some of their F-35Bs in 6-7 years due to structural defects, around the 2,100 hours mark. 

To its misfortune the A380 came along in a world recession, so it looks like a bunch, if not converted for cargo, will get parked in the desert next to those F-35s.

The nuclear mission might be coming to an end in Germany. Better building more Eurofighters and developing the sixth gen fighter with France. 

Tony

Edited by tony.t
ingleeesh

Not all is splendid with the F-35...

https://about.bgov.com/news/stagnant-f-35-reliability-means-fewer-available-jets-pentagon/

Most of the issues were known but I wasn't aware that those early B's could have such a short service life (2100 hrs vrs 8000 specified).  So in a case like this, does LM take any kind of a hit to upgrade these jets on their dime (if it can even be done) or pay a penalty for this design flaw?   Or do they just pocket more money when the Marines have to purchase replacements for those early B's?

On 2/2/2019 at 2:15 AM, 11bee said:

Totally OT but thought it was worth posting.   Looks like the A380 technology is not "fine" (at least for those jets powered by RR products) and with regard to Emirates (the only airline that truly seemed to like these monsters)...  looks like things aren't particularly fine with that fleet either.   Might want to get your A380 flights in sooner rather than later.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgoldstein/2019/01/31/has-the-end-come-for-the-airbus-a380-not-with-a-bang-but-with-a-whimper/#1639da5b4e2c

Yeah I read reports elsewhere Emirates are looking at changing to the A350.  I'd love a few more long haul trips to Europe on the 380.. Are you paying?

5 hours ago, a4s4eva said:

Yeah I read reports elsewhere Emirates are looking at changing to the A350.  I'd love a few more long haul trips to Europe on the 380.. Are you paying?

LOL...  make you a deal, I'll cover the economy tickets, you cover the upgrades to business class.   Let's do this!

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

LOL...  make you a deal, I'll cover the economy tickets, you cover the upgrades to business class.   Let's do this!

LOL Nice one   Have you sent the price of business class from Australia to Europe...   Cleary you have :cheers:

Edited by a4s4eva

Swung by the Van Nuys airport this afternoon, aside from the usual biz and corporate jets you see there I drove past the Condor Legion's flight line. Almost a dozen AT-6 Texans in both USAAF and Riech Luftwaffe paint jobs. Found out too late that the batteries in my camera died.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 12:11 AM, -Neu- said:

Short of a Growler, what provides a better EW capability?

19 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Short of a Growler, what provides a better EW capability?

On the subject of the F-35's EW capability, I just stumbled upon an article about their recent performance at Red Flag.  This part of the article was especially interesting (emphasis added).   This is an aspect of the JSF which really doesn't get a lot of mention.

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. – Today, Airmen from the 388th Fighter Wing’s 4th Fighter Squadron wrapped up flying operations with the F-35A Lightning II in an “exponentially more challenging” Red Flag. 
The 4th FS integrated the F-35A into a large, capable “Blue Force” in diverse missions against an equally capable “Red Force.” Nearly 3,000 personnel from 39 separate units participated in the exercise, including the U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, Royal Air Force and Royal Australian Air Force.
The Red Force was made up of hybrid threats, combinations of the “most advanced weapons systems out there,” meant to replicate “near-peer” enemies in a large scale conflict. The shift closely aligns with the National Defense Strategy. 
“The first time I came to Red Flag in 2004, our tactics were the same as they had been since the early 1980s. Now, the threat and complexity are at a whole different level,” said Col. Joshua Wood, 388th Operations Group commander. “It’s no longer assumed that we will gain and maintain air superiority. That’s a big shift.” 
Red Flag aggressors encompass the whole spectrum of an adversary force – advanced integrated air-defense systems, an adversary air force, cyber-warfare and information operations. Because of these diverse capabilities, many Red Flag missions are flown in “contested or denied” environments with active electronic attack, communications jamming, and GPS denial. 
“Those situations highlight the fifth-generation capabilities of the F-35. We’re still able to operate and be successful. In a lot of cases we have a large role as an integrated quarterback,” said Lt. Col. Yosef Morris, 4th Fighter Squadron commander. “Our ability to continue to fuse and pass information to the entire package makes every aircraft more survivable.” 

During the first week of Red Flag, the F-35 pilots flew in a larger force of Blue Air in a counter-air mission. More than 60 aggressor aircraft were flying against them, blinding many of the fourth-generation aircraft with “robust” electronic attack capabilities. 

8 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

DzoIqVBVsAAjxgj.jpg:large

Make Vintage fighters great again.

Australian Hornets already have NVIS external lighting, So why does it need replacing?

What is the difference in the landing gear?  I am to assume that it be heavier brakes due to the fact that they will be operating in a  subzero temp environment rather than an Aussie winter.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:36 PM, Aussie_superbug said:

Australian Hornets already have NVIS external lighting, So why does it need replacing?

What is the difference in the landing gear?  I am to assume that it be heavier brakes due to the fact that they will be operating in a  subzero temp environment rather than an Aussie winter.

The lighting isn’t compatible with our system and the plan is to standardize the systems so they are all the same.

Our gear is not the same, the oleo is flipped and therefore again it is a matter of standardizing them all to the same specifications.

Speaking with a friend of mine that I served with on Hornets who is still in Cold Lake, we didn’t purchase the engines installed on these jets. The four engines on the first two jets are being shipped back to Australia.

12 hours ago, Scooby said:

Our gear is not the same, the oleo is flipped and therefore again it is a matter of standardizing them all to the same specifications.

Just out of random curiosity, why would two operators of land-based Hornets have different LG configurations?