8 hours ago, habu2 said:

Just a question, not a criticism....

I think you missed the larger point...

Freedom isn't free

And here's a semi cool F-35B rolling approach.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29569/check-out-this-f-35-helmet-display-video-of-a-rolling-landing-on-the-hms-queen-elizabeth?xid=emailshare

1 hour ago, boom175 said:

I don't know if there is a F-35 specific thing. But we covered the Sets on our A-10's at the end of the day.  Most ejection seats have covers that are part of the A/C's "inventory" such as intake/ exhaust covers etc. In the USAF we called that stuff -21 equipment.

Out of curiosity, why would you have to?  I get having to cover intakes, exhausts due to FOD concerns, but a seat in a sealed cockpit?   

25 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Out of curiosity, why would you have to?  I get having to cover intakes, exhausts due to FOD concerns, but a seat in a sealed cockpit?   

Just normal wear and tear, when the jet isn't flying guys getting in and out of the cockpit, I guess it also keeps the parachute straps and seat cushion out of the sun. That type of stuff. 

Just now, boom175 said:

Just normal wear and tear, when the jet isn't flying guys getting in and out of the cockpit, I guess it also keeps the parachute straps and seat cushion out of the sun. That type of stuff. 

Good info, thanks Boom! 

Many in Turkey believe Erdogan orchestrated the recent coup attempt to weed out his enemies within. 
He uses religion as a bargaining tool to win elections. If people want Turkey to remain Muslim they best vote for him.
Unfortunately for him the educated and those relying on tourism want him out. Maybe finally the tide is turning.
Although for the time being the TRY is 1/2 the value it was a few years ago. Great time for holidays in Turkey.

This week Erdogan  was in Moscow for MAKS cosying up to Putin. One has to wonder just how cosy?

Another company has pulled out of Canada’s competition to buy new fighter jets.

The United Kingdom’s Ministry of Defence and Airbus Defence and Space informed the Canadian government Friday of their decision to withdraw from Canada’s future fighter competition. Airbus had been offering Canada the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Last year the French firm Dassault informed the Canadian government it would not be taking part in the competition. It had been planning to offer Canada the Rafale fighter jet.

The $19 billion competition has been dogged by allegations it is designed to favour Lockheed Martin’s F-35 stealth fighter.

Postmedia reported earlier this year that the requirements for the new jets put emphasis on strategic attack and striking at ground targets during foreign missions. That criteria is seen to benefit the F-35. In addition, the federal government changed criteria on how it would assess industrial benefits after the U.S. government threatened to pull the F-35 from the competition.

Industry representatives have said they will carefully review the Canadian requirements before making their decision to bid. The work needed to prepare a bid will cost the firms around $15 million each.

The decision to pull the Eurofighter from the competition leaves the F-35, the Boeing Super Hornet, and Saab’s Gripen. It is unclear whether Boeing or Saab will continue in the competition.

And then there were 3... 

Serve 'em right if after all the crap the Maple Leaf's dumped on it Boeing said "No Toys For You," and then after seeing the nuisance of dealing with Ottawa Saab did the same thing, leaving only the choice of "F-35 or Off The Team Like Turkey." Trudeau crapped his bed, now he can sleep in it...

9 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

Many in Turkey believe Erdogan orchestrated the recent coup attempt to weed out his enemies within. 
He uses religion as a bargaining tool to win elections. If people want Turkey to remain Muslim they best vote for him.
Unfortunately for him the educated and those relying on tourism want him out. Maybe finally the tide is turning.
Although for the time being the TRY is 1/2 the value it was a few years ago. Great time for holidays in Turkey.

This week Erdogan  was in Moscow for MAKS cosying up to Putin. One has to wonder just how cosy?

Does anyone think he'll willingly step down over something as trivial as losing an election?    The Islamic Republic of Turkey is here to stay. 

Edited by 11bee

There's a Federal election in Canada in October. This could potentially  be huge for Canada's  future fighter selection based on who wins... or...nothing will change at all even if there is a change in power. Feet dragging for military procurement crosses party lines in Canada. Time will tell but I see this drama playing out for a few more years.

46 minutes ago, Don said:

Interesting short documentary on HMS Queen Elizabeth:

My Lusty is lonely Airfix (or whomever)...it wants a 1/350 Lizzy for company.  Get on it :coolio:.

Fun fact - they have a very nice looking pub onboard, with craft beers on tap.    

2 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Fun fact - they have a very nice looking pub onboard, with craft beers on tap.    

Yep I knew that. Its called The Queens Head and it looks better then some land based Pubs too!

Image result for HMS Queen Elizabeth Pub

Now I'll take those five full 1:1 beers in the pic above to go with my 1/350 Queen Elizabeth :beer4:

I’m sure it has been asked and answered somewhere over 352 pages but finding it is a different story so here goes... would later blocks of the F-35 be considered gen 5 aircraft or closer to gen 6? Comparing speed, maneuverability, range and other close combat functions against an Su-35 are probably tough- lots we don’t know. Pilot training also would be an advantage. Avionics are a different story from what I hear and the F-35 possesses a solid tactical advantage. Does that capability (improves over upgrade cycle) push it near gen 6?

Again, apologies for a rehash but appreciate info.