Forgive me if six generation fighter jet has been defined already  however if you ask me the next generation of fighter aircraft will go from just supersonic to hypersonic and beyond the realm of invisibility to radar but also to infrared and the human eye and possibly even having energy weapons. I know this sounds far-fetched but didn’t the one of the aircraft manufacturers publish an artist conception number of years ago showing a new fighter jet shooting laser beams. Did the British think manned jet fighters were dying out  Way back in the 1960s and 70s?  I also you think we want to consider that future wars are also going to be fighting in space.  a number of countries already have a space force component to their military and with the use of satellite warfare the next conflicts will likely spread up out of our atmosphere

Edited by DarkKnight

Sounds like the Marines are re-thinking their half-century long obsession with slow, lightly defended Amphibious Assault ships, primarily due to recent (mostly Chinese) advances in antiship missiles and other area denial strategies.  

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29608/marine-bosss-audacious-plan-to-transform-the-corps-by-giving-up-big-amphibious-ships

The solution appears to be using slower, even less well defended converted civilian cargo ships as floating base ships.    Wonder if this means any changes for F-35 deployments on those amphibious carriers? 

On 9/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, 11bee said:

Sounds like the Marines are re-thinking their half-century long obsession with slow, lightly defended Amphibious Assault ships, primarily due to recent (mostly Chinese) advances in antiship missiles and other area denial strategies.  

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29608/marine-bosss-audacious-plan-to-transform-the-corps-by-giving-up-big-amphibious-ships

The solution appears to be using slower, even less well defended converted civilian cargo ships as floating base ships.    Wonder if this means any changes for F-35 deployments on those amphibious carriers? 

Those things are sitting ducks.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, achterkirch said:

Hoping Mighty Canada will have an Air Force as advanced as Poland. 

I apologize if this was posted and I missed it, but it sounds like F-35s saw a little more action in Iraq.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/f-35s-and-f-15s-just-obliterated-an-entire-iraqi-island-to-root-out-isis-fighters/ar-AAH5Ke6

Also interesting to me is that there wasn't any mention in the story about the F-35s being new, their cost, etc.

2 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I apologize if this was posted and I missed it, but it sounds like F-35s saw a little more action in Iraq.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/f-35s-and-f-15s-just-obliterated-an-entire-iraqi-island-to-root-out-isis-fighters/ar-AAH5Ke6

Hooray!  We used stealth fighters to blow up trees! 

"We're denying Daesh the ability to hide on Qanus Island," said Maj. Gen. Eric T. Hill, commander of OIR's Special Operations Joint Task Force,

In various reports, it went from a Daesh "infested" island to an operation simply to remove vegetation in order to prevent the bad guys from having cover.   Either way, I suppose it's still a victory in the never ending Global War On Terror.

I was not commenting on the validity of the action taken, only noting that the F-35s saw some action, and that the report didn't even comment on F-35 development history, issues, etc.  F-15s were involved as well, so it doesn't look like the action plan was necessarily influenced by the use of F-35s, and they were just being used as a resource.

32 minutes ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I was not commenting on the validity of the action taken, only noting that the F-35s saw some action, and that the report didn't even comment on F-35 development history, issues, etc.  F-15s were involved as well, so it doesn't look like the action plan was necessarily influenced by the use of F-35s, and they were just being used as a resource.

You have a valid point.   I guess we are finally at the point where the novelty and controversy associated with the F-35 has started to fade.   Not necessarily a bad thing I suppose.  

As much as the F-35 looked impressive in the clip above, I'm starting to think that the future of airpower is headed in a different direction.   10 "suicide drones'  just eliminated 50% of Saudi Arabia's oil production.   They could have just as easily taken out a major airport or a flight line full of exposed mutlimillion dollar fighters.    All this for a cost probably 1/1000 of an F-35.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/15/middleeast/saudi-oil-attack-lister-analysis-intl/index.html

ISIS has already weaponized small, off the shelf drones, only a matter of time before they are used in a major terrorist attack against the west.    

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

As much as the F-35 looked impressive in the clip above, I'm starting to think that the future of airpower is headed in a different direction.   10 "suicide drones'  just eliminated 50% of Saudi Arabia's oil production.   They could have just as easily taken out a major airport or a flight line full of exposed mutlimillion dollar fighters.    All this for a cost probably 1/1000 of an F-35.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/15/middleeast/saudi-oil-attack-lister-analysis-intl/index.html

ISIS has already weaponized small, off the shelf drones, only a matter of time before they are used in a major terrorist attack against the west.    

This article kinda touches on that. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29690/b-21s-with-air-to-air-capabilities-drones-not-6th-gen-fighters-to-dominate-future-air-combat

Edited by achterkirch
2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Three words define why we (USA) will continue with large expensive fighter and bomber contracts:

Military Industrial Complex

I’ll take your “Military Industrial Complex” and raise you with “Asymmetrical Warfare”.   

I do wonder how easy it would be for an adversary or terrorist organization to smuggle a few dozen of those ISIS-style militarized recreational drones into the US and fly them over the exposed flight lines at Langley or Hill AFB and take out a few billion dollars worth of F-22’s or F-35’s.   

Look at the damage they were able to do by buying a dozen or so airline tickets. 

And the downing of the WTC towers and loss of life was just the beginning.  OBL knew the US would spend “whatever it takes” to “defeat” terrorism, thus guaranteeing the US would accrue an even more crippling national debt in the process.  IMO that was the real plan all along. 

10 hours ago, 11bee said:

I did courses and training in military procurement at Royal Military College. You always purchase equipment for tomorrow’s wars, not today’s. You plan for the strongest possible adversary, not your current enemies. Therefore the F-35 is viable and so are newer technologies in development.

But so much for that thinking if politicians do the purchasing.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I did courses and training in military procurement at Royal Military College. You always purchase equipment for tomorrow’s wars, not today’s. You plan for the strongest possible adversary, not your current enemies. Therefore the F-35 is viable and so are newer technologies in development.

But so much for that thinking if politicians do the purchasing.

As it should be I suppose.  Just curious how the Royal Military College was able to determine what tomorrow’s war looks like?   Seems to be quite an impressive feat.   They should share this info ASAP with the pentagon because historically, America has been eminently prepared to fight it’s last war, a bit less well prepared for the next one.  

So please tell me, will tomorrow’s war look like WW3 vrs China, will it look like the annexation of the Crimea or will it simply be additional regime change via social media manipulation and hacking?     In the last two examples, all those nice shiny F-35’s will be worthless.  

We live in interesting and perilous times. 

Edited by 11bee

Related, HMS Queen Elizabeth is operating on the Canadian/U.S side of the pond. Those living close to U.S Naval bases can keep an eye out for her as she's left CFB Halifax.

Happy modeling!

According by to this week’s AW&ST, as a result of their recent move away from amphibious  ships, the Marines are also looking to rebalance their F-35 purchases in favor of more C models and a corresponding reduction in B’s.   The additional C squadrons would be integrated in carrier air wings.    This would also result in the B’s becoming more expensive due to the reduced number being purchased.      

The changes being proposed by the new Commandant are pretty profound, Chesty Puller must be spinning in his grave.   Sounds like you can thank China for making the Marines previous approach to their core mission obsolete.   

40 minutes ago, 11bee said:

According by to this week’s AW&ST, as a result of their recent move away from amphibious  ships, the Marines are also looking to rebalance their F-35 purchases in favor of more C models and a corresponding reduction in B’s.   The additional C squadrons would be integrated in carrier air wings.    This would also result in the B’s becoming more expensive due to the reduced number being purchased.      

The changes being proposed by the new Commandant are pretty profound, Chesty Puller must be spinning in his grave.   Sounds like you can thank China for making the Marines previous approach to their core mission obsolete.   

While the reduction of F-35B being purchased by the marines may spike the price of that variant the slack maybe be picked up by other nations like South Korea, Japan and Spain, among others that are looking at purchasing the B model for one reason or another.  

Edited by achterkirch
On 9/15/2019 at 2:10 PM, 11bee said:

I’ll take your “Military Industrial Complex” and raise you with “Asymmetrical Warfare”.   

I do wonder how easy it would be for an adversary or terrorist organization to smuggle a few dozen of those ISIS-style militarized recreational drones into the US and fly them over the exposed flight lines at Langley or Hill AFB and take out a few billion dollars worth of F-22’s or F-35’s.   

You think too small.