On 9/23/2019 at 8:25 PM, 11bee said:

According by to this week’s AW&ST, as a result of their recent move away from amphibious  ships, the Marines are also looking to rebalance their F-35 purchases in favor of more C models and a corresponding reduction in B’s.   The additional C squadrons would be integrated in carrier air wings.    This would also result in the B’s becoming more expensive due to the reduced number being purchased.    

Theyre going to rearrange some things not sure of how much yet. The more immediate issue is (once again) the navy's shortfall on getting enough F-35C squadrons going. Moving C's to the front of the line. (With the F-18 going not until 2030, but 2025. After switching spots with the Harrier)

On 9/23/2019 at 8:25 PM, 11bee said:

The changes being proposed by the new Commandant are pretty profound, Chesty Puller must be spinning in his grave.   Sounds like you can thank China for making the Marines previous approach to their core mission obsolete.   

Chesty puller has heard that Marines are obsolete before, then Korea, and he got to meet the Chinese soon thereafter too. 

You need to be more subtle. 

not-even-bait-at-this-point-20002241.png

1 hour ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Theyre going to rearrange some things not sure of how much yet. The more immediate issue is (once again) the navy's shortfall on getting enough F-35C squadrons going. Moving C's to the front of the line. (With the F-18 going not until 2030, but 2025. After switching spots with the Harrier)

Chesty puller has heard that Marines are obsolete before, then Korea, and he got to meet the Chinese soon thereafter too. 

You need to be more subtle. 

not-even-bait-at-this-point-20002241.png

Never said the Marines were obsolete, just that their approach to their primary mission is being drastically revamped.  If this causes angst, take it up with the Commandant my friend. Personally, I liked the old ways better as well.  

Now the Marines just seem a bit more... Armyish?   

19 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Never said the Marines were obsolete, just that their approach to their primary mission is being drastically revamped.  If this causes angst, take it up with the Commandant my friend. Personally, I liked the old ways better as well.  

Now the Marines just seem a bit more... Armyish?   

Less actually, as the plan is aligning more with the Navy. if there was a big pendelum the swing is going back to the maritime side as opposed to the generally Land locked 2nd land army GWOT. 

No angst here, every Commandant changes the F-35 order. I'm sure big picture the following CMC will change it more (which in the Marines means change it back somewhat) The only thing I'm curious about is the amount of C's went from 80 to 67, curious to see how many more past 80 we get now. 

J.  T*****u vows to scrap F-35 fighter jet program

Troubled effort to buy new fighter jets to be replaced by 'open and transparent competition'
CBC News · Posted: Sep 20, 2015 10:11 AM ET | Last Updated: September 20, 2015

Happy anniversary Canada! 

34 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

J.  T*****u vows to scrap F-35 fighter jet program

Troubled effort to buy new fighter jets to be replaced by 'open and transparent competition'
CBC News · Posted: Sep 20, 2015 10:11 AM ET | Last Updated: September 20, 2015

Happy anniversary Canada! 

More like...why bother, Canada. We got it from here.

Canada has been an also ran for many years now. we can provide token assistance at best. our military is well trained and motivated, but we suffer from having minimal resources to do the job.
it took 30 years to replace the Seaking

I’m sure they had the reflectors mounted. Airticle mentions they were enroute to/from an airshow, and every time I’ve seen a -35 at an airshow it had reflectors mounted. 

18 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I’m sure they had the reflectors mounted. Airticle mentions they were enroute to/from an airshow, and every time I’ve seen a -35 at an airshow it had reflectors mounted. 

Of course they would be installed. ATC still needs to see them.

• 2 weeks later...

I was laughing the whole time I was reading that article. Do they think the US would bring the planes to a show in Europe in full combat capabilities?

I guess they play poker with the cards facing UP over there.

Edited by pookie

Marine F-35 squadron will be doing a full cruise with the Brits.   Wonder if the Jarheads will be able to hit the pub?

https://breakingdefense.com/2019/10/uk-us-enter-new-era-unprecedented-carrier-sharing-plan/

This will be a good thing, especially since the USN will pretty much be down to a single functional East Coast based CVN pretty soon.

EHLjU35WsAElC_Y?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Wow! Such a clear picture. Looks like a painting. The Marines are making Elizabeth look good.

Still waiting on my 1:350 kit...Airfix?

Going off on a bit of a tangent, The Smithsonian Channel has a show about the HMS Queen Elizabeth airing now:

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/rise-of-the-supercarrier/1006072

I have only seen bits of a couple of episodes, and no F-35s yet, but I am hoping they will show up.  They did have a segment about the deck handlers, and they had non-operational Harriers and an F-35 mock-up.

Going off on a bit of a tangent, The Smithsonian Channel has a show about the HMS Queen Elizabeth airing now:

I have only seen bits of a couple of episodes, and no F-35s yet, but I am hoping they will show up.  They did have a segment about the deck handlers, and they had non-operational Harriers and an F-35 mock-up.

The F-35s only just first operated off the Queen Elizabeth two weeks ago. They were the first F-35s to land on the QE. The program was filmed in 2017, so no you won’t see F-35s on the carrier.

Thanks for the heads up. They're still running the episodes. Decided to record them. Looks interesting.

• 2 weeks later...