9 minutes ago, habu2 said:

VMFA-314 is a Marine (USMC) squadron.  I thought the USMC only had B models and all the C models were USN .   Has that changed?  

I think it's always been the Marines intent to have a mix of both B's and C's.  The B's taking over the Harrier role and the C's their Hornets role. 

1 hour ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

1st Miramar F-35C

Very cool.  I live about 2 miles away and work under the flight path, and have been seeing more F-35s fly over and just assumed they were B models from Yuma.  I did see one at a glance that I thought looked more like an F-22, but figured I just didn't see it that well.   I'm guessing that was a C model.

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

VMFA-314 is a Marine (USMC) squadron.  I thought the USMC only had B models and all the C models were USN .   Has that changed?  

Marine CVW duties ...

Keeps the USMC in the Tailhook business.

-Gregg

I like the Knights helmet on 314's tails (although a little bigger would be better). I wonder if we will eventually have CAG and other colorful tails on USN/USMC  F-35's ? 

A modeling question (sorry if its been asked already), but what are the best kits for the F-35 (any version) in both 1/72 and 1/48? I'm in the market. Thanks gents!

Happy modeling all!

On 1/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, habu2 said:

Yep and its going to change yet again. The USMC's new force structure is due at the end of the month. They're going to tinker with the B and C mix amounts again. seems like More C's just a matter of how many more

Lot of money drowned in something we would not be able to fully utilize due to bad infrastructure. Plus Germany will soon form European Army independant from NATO and US control, then it'll take over our precious jets.

Also I've never liked Fatty-35 much just for aesthetic reasons. If it could only look like F-22

Edited by Tapchan
12 hours ago, Tapchan said:

................................ Plus Germany will soon form European Army independant from NATO and US control, then it'll take over our precious jets...........

Good Lord, what do you think of us??!

As a German I tell you, even if we wanted to (and I just don't see that) we'd never be able to. We are hardly able to maintain what little is left that remotely resembles a working military force let alone a European Army. That whole undertaking of a European Army is a political brain fart as old as the EU itself. It never worked out and I seriously doubt we'll ever make it work properly, even less so if the Germans had any major say in it. Our "we need to do/have this! What, that costs money? Naaww then forget about it."-mentality will eventually get in the way. And quite frankly, you can keep your fresh new F-35s. Our Luftwaffe wanted it dearly. We could have had it and our Ladies on top said nope and even let a very good and able inspector general go over it. There is zero political interest in the F-35 (to the dismay of the troops concerned). I still hope our politicians are smart enough to at least grab some Super Hornets (hey it's the new Top Gun movie jet whoohoo 🙄) and don't fall for that paper ECR-Tiffy. As much as I like the Tiffy, I can hardly see a ECR-version being ready in time after we pretty much slept over all the time necessesary to maintain / further develop those precious own ECR/ECM/SEAD proficiency we had with the Tornado.

You are doing good in Poland getting the F-35. Gives our leftists in parlament another excuse to keep their asses on the bench doing nothing for our troops. (Sarcasm is intentional here)

Edited by bushande
42 minutes ago, bushande said:

Good Lord, what do you think of us??!

As a German I tell you, even if we wanted to (and I just don't see that) we'd never be able to. We are hardly able to maintain what little is left that remotely resembles a working military force let alone a European Army. That whole undertaking of a European Army is a political brain fart as old as the EU itself. It never worked out and I seriously doubt we'll ever make it work properly, even less so if the Germans had any major say in it. Our "we need to do/have this! What, that costs money? Naaww then forget about it."-mentality will eventually get in the way. And quite frankly, you can keep your fresh new F-35s. Our Luftwaffe wanted it dearly. We could have had it and our Ladies on top said nope and even let a very good and able inspector general go over it. There is zero political interest in the F-35 (to the dismay of the troops concerned). I still hope our politicians are smart enough to at least grab some Super Hornets (hey it's the new Top Gun movie jet whoohoo 🙄) and don't fall for that paper ECR-Tiffy. As much as I like the Tiffy, I can hardly see a ECR-version being ready in time after we pretty much slept over all the time necessesary to maintain / further develop those precious own ECR/ECM/SEAD proficiency we had with the Tornado.

You are doing good in Poland getting the F-35. Gives our leftists in parlament another excuse to keep their asses on the bench doing nothing for our troops. (Sarcasm is intentional here)

Of you nothing wrong, of your government - that's different case 🙂 This F-35 is really overpriced machine and I think our country can't afford it. I believe that due to costs of servicing and maintaining we will keep around 40% of them capable. This is a political choice, our government made no auction, no wider analysis. They have just decided "we buy newest planes" and that's it.

Regarding EU army idea I think just same as you - but I can also see EU consequently picking up bad decisions and turning them into reality so why not. Even if it's going to function terribly it will be done, sooner or later. This is why your government may have no direct interest in F-35, because EU army will eventually have them anyway, just paid by satellite countries (Poland will bring 32 of them, Belgium 50). More countries will follow I believe.

Funny thing, when "accident" in Belgium happened I told that belgian government will announce a need of new F-35 fleet in ~2 weeks. They did it one week afterwards 🙂

9 hours ago, bushande said:

Of course our goverment made the best choice possible: purchase of the most advanced fighters in the world is the only reasonable decision.The probem is with infrastructure and older fighters, especially old, soviet MiG-29s, completely neglected by previous, leftist goverment. I hope that purchase of that modern jet will move something in our air forces. Hope this is the first move, thankfully in right direction.

UR2c850.png

photo: Reijo Hietanen/HS

https://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland/news-in-brief/17318-gallery-lockheed-martin-arrives-in-finland-to-compete-for-10-billion-defence-contract.html

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11198548

The HX-program testing phase continues with the F-35. Two birds arrived yesterday and two more today. Every HX competitor has spent a week at Pirkkala AB (First Typhoon, then Rafale and Gripen a week ago) in order to verify all the technical and performance specifications given by the manufacturers. 

In short the FinAF is "buying capability". 64 is considered the minimum number of fighters although it all depends on the unit price and capabilities the companies are offering. It might include fighters plus AWACS (in Boeing's case Growlers) or some other supporting systems (drones?) - or who knows more than 64 fighters, as long as the well defined FinAF specifications are met and the price is right.

Edited by janman
  • 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone, reading up on this site and noticed elsewhere that Revell is going to be coming out with a 1/48 F-35A sometime in April of this year.  Is it too much to ask for that this is a new tool or is it most likely a reissue of an old tooling?

50 minutes ago, ulvdemon said:

Morning everyone, reading up on this site and noticed elsewhere that Revell is going to be coming out with a 1/48 F-35A sometime in April of this year.  Is it too much to ask for that this is a new tool or is it most likely a reissue of an old tooling?

in 1/72:

1260330-11991-48-720.jpg

• 1 month later...

VMFA-251 stood down yesterday and will be moving to MCAS Cherry Point. When they stand back up, they'll be operating the F-35C.

Hangars 1700 and 1701, which housed the Q squadrons, have been torn down and new hangars are being built for the F-35's arrival.