Mildly surprised this hasn't popped up yet:

https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-news/2017/09/20/air-force-could-ground-some-a-10s-as-early-as-2019-as-life-of-wings-run-out/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking News 9.20.17&utm_term=Editorial - Breaking News

Gen. Pawlikowski is good people, and this does not appear to be corporate panic mongering to justify more/better F-35 spending.

But even if Congress funds the additional wingsets, the Air Force will not be able to hold a competition, award a contract and modify its A-10s with new wings before the service life of at least some of the old wings runs out, said Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski, commander of Air Force Materiel Command.

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

Mildly surprised this hasn't popped up yet:

https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-news/2017/09/20/air-force-could-ground-some-a-10s-as-early-as-2019-as-life-of-wings-run-out/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking News 9.20.17&utm_term=Editorial - Breaking News

Gen. Pawlikowski is good people, and this does not appear to be corporate panic mongering to justify more/better F-35 spending.

It's just another big air force conspiracy. You didn't see them retiring any B-1s, B-52s, F-111s, CH-53s, A-7s, F-4s, F-16s, F-15 did you? These bomber generals just hate it. The whole air force hates it, even through there Is not a soul still in the air forces who's service pre dates the A10 they just loath and detest it.

Hail Sprey

On 10/2/2017 at 4:33 PM, TaiidanTomcat said:

I'm hoping we can get some side by sides via a formation sometime with the "early" F-35 scheme. 

I thought they switched over to the new scheme approx a year ago?  Figured there would be plenty of pix out there of these jets.   

8 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I thought they switched over to the new scheme approx a year ago?  Figured there would be plenty of pix out there of these jets.   

Af 104 was the tester with all new production getting the scheme in the "second quarter of 2017"

Alright F-35 aficionados, I have a question for you regarding the new Meng kit.   What the heck is this and should it be raised like that?  

vT8gbxh.jpg

Most pics of the non-prototype jets I see do not have this obvious raised hexagon shape visible. I know it shouldn’t be painted like Brett did on his build (pic above).  Should I sand it flush on the MENG kit?

Thanks for the info!

Steve

2 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

i am confused, its not accurate?  a joke somewhere Im not getting it, sand it off?

If you have the MENG kit, look at the area I circled from the picture above.  Compare that to hi-res pictures online.  I don’t see this hexagonal panel at all on any of the newer, USAF service jets.  I faintly see it in some pics of the early Edwards test jets.  Either way, it’s way overpronounced on the MENG kit.  

Steve

On 9/28/2017 at 11:25 AM, Don said:

Folks its just round one of a two or three round bout. Nothing is solid or even a certainty until spring or early summer 2018. Odds are the duty will get severely reduced to the 80-90% Boeing originally asked for or get thrown out all together. I doubt it will stand as is. Bottom line, if Bombardier can't survive this recent decision and get its bungling rail division on track (pun intended) for the next 6 or so months until this issue is resolved  then people should be questioning (and they are if you read the Cdn papers and comment sections) the leadership and viability of the company and its decisions over the last few years (which have been abysmal if we're honest).

Part of me was thinking Donny would do some behind the scenes arm twisting to make this potential trade war go away.   Looks like instead, the US is doubling down.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-bombardier-commerce/u-s-backs-300-percent-in-duties-on-bombardier-after-boeing-complaint-idUSKBN1CB29X?il=0

Maybe next week it will break 500%?   

Although to be fair, it does appear that our friends to the north are somewhat culpable here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-03/u-k-is-said-to-see-canada-responsible-in-bombardier-boeing-spat

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Although to be fair, it does appear that our friends to the north are somewhat culpable here.

Canada is culpable? Boeing gets billions and billions from the US government, Bombardier gets a sliver of that from the Canadian government and we are in the wrong?

Boeing sells Delta a fleet of 737-800s at a 73% discount earlier this year. Boeing received 19 billion from the US government in the last nine years.

Bombardier sells United an equal size fleet at a 70% discount. Bombardier received 1 billion from the Canadian government.

"The pot calling the kettle black"

I suspect the World Trade Organization will rule against the US.
13 hours ago, Scooby said:

Canada is culpable? Boeing gets billions and billions from the US government, Bombardier gets a sliver of that from the Canadian government and we are in the wrong?

I suspect the World Trade Organization will rule against the US.

Take it up with the UK government, it's apparently their opinion on the issue.   

With regard to the WTO, it very well might rule against the US but BA has been on a bit of a winning streak with them as well.   Note that an appeal to that lethargic organization can drag on for years (decades?) and in the meantime, I'm assuming there would be an injunction in place to prevent Bombardier from delivering any of those jets to Delta (you got your airlines mixed up in the post above, btw).  Given that Delta has by far the largest order for these poorly selling jets, a 5+ year delay in delivering them may be just as effective in killing off the program as the proposed 300% remedy.  Either way, BA achieves it's objectives.   

Of course, while all this drags out, Embraer continues to wrack up sales for it's competitor to the C-Series and at somepoint will probably evolve into a direct challenger of BA (and Airbus for that matter). 

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Take it up with the UK government, it's apparently their opinion on the issue.   

With regard to the WTO, it very well might rule against the US but BA has been on a bit of a winning streak with them as well.   Note that an appeal to that lethargic organization can drag on for years (decades?) and in the meantime, I'm assuming there would be an injunction in place to prevent Bombardier from delivering any of those jets to Delta (you got your airlines mixed up in the post above, btw).  Given that Delta has by far the largest order for these poorly selling jets, a 5+ year delay in delivering them may be just as effective in killing off the program as the proposed 300% remedy.  Either way, BA achieves it's objectives.   

Of course, while all this drags out, Embraer continues to wrack up sales for it's competitor to the C-Series and at somepoint will probably evolve into a direct challenger of BA (and Airbus for that matter). 

That one article is poorly written in regards to the UK government. The UK government are definitely solidly behind us in their views and stance.

Bombardier stocks went up after the announcement yesterday because the feeling is this ruling won’t stand up.

Yes, I realized I reversed the airlines.

Delta stated yesterday they still feel they will be taking delivery of these jets.

This could blow-up on Boeing, it could open the market for the Chinese or Embraer. The Chinese are itching to get in the market.

Not to drag this thread further into the Bombardier vs. Boeing debate, but Bombardier stock actually took a hit and only rebounded when Air Baltic announced a possible order for 14 planes. But this rebound only brought Bombardier stocks close to where they were before the duty decision came down. The Air Baltic announcement was just that, and nothing is solid or inked and no date is firm yet if or when it will get inked. Honestly, there is no sense sugar coating this, the longer this drags out, coupled with the failing (...I mean abysmal!) Bombardier rail sector, the worse it will be for Bombardier. Air Bus and Embraer may reap the benefits from this but the jury is still way out if Bombardier even survives without significant help from the Cdn and/or Québec tax payer (which is kind of ironic...).

https://www.fool.ca/2017/10/05/bombardier-inc-what-should-investors-do-with-this-stock/

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Don
5 minutes ago, Don said:

Not to drag this thread further into the Bombardier vs. Boeing debate, but Bombardier stock actually took a hit and only rebounded when Air Baltic announced a possible order for 14 planes. But this rebound only brought Bombardier stocks close to where they were before the duty decision came down. The Air Baltic announcement was just that, and nothing is solid or inked and no date is firm yet if or when it will get inked. Honestly, there is no sense sugar coating this, the longer this drags out, coupled with the failing (...I mean abysmal!) Bombardier rail sector, the worse it will be for Bombardier. Air Bus and Embraer may reap the benefits from this but the jury is still way out if Bombardier even survives without significant help from the Cdn and/or Québec tax payer (which is kind of ironic...).

https://www.fool.ca/2017/10/05/bombardier-inc-what-should-investors-do-with-this-stock/

EDIT: Spelling.

The article you link is from Oct 5.

The stock went up yesterday.

Just now, Scooby said:

The article you link is from Oct 5.

The stock went up yesterday.

But its only back to where it was. So yes, its gone up, but It's not like its booming. And its only because there is a shade of light in a possible deal for 14 planes. But nothing is solid there. Again, bottom line Bombardier stands to lose a lot the longer this drags on.

Funny BA didn't have a horse in this race...... yet there is an all out protectionist movement...... what ever happened to let the market dictate? The hurt will hit US suppliers to the C series jet. The reprocutions of a global economy.

Yet China is a potential alternative.

Overshadowed and barely even mentioned by U.S. or Cdn media outlets is Embraer's similar complaint about Bombardier that the Brazilian Government is taking to the WTO:

https://www.ft.com/content/1e50ad10-3f6d-3e0e-a5bc-40ffc5de020f

Not sure if the above link will work... but you can Google it. This link may work:

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/20808/Embraer_Welcomes_Establishment_of_WTO_Panel_To_Analyse_Bombardier_Funding#.WdtgqJVe7X4

So Bombardier actually has to battle both Boeing and Embraer.

Meanwhile...and more in line with the topic...what is the status of the new and "urgently" needed fighter for the RCAF? It looks like  in addition to simply announcing the purchase of the F-35, or looking at a European aircraft (further can kicking), or pressing for a purchase of used aircraft from somewhere, JT had a fourth option that he is using and that is to use the whole Boeing vs. Bombardier drama to sweep the new fighter (or interim fighter) under the rug. Ignore it and instead ride that wave of Cdn patriotism over fighting Uncle Sam. Great for re-elections :thumbsup:.

EDIT: Article links.

Edited by Don