ARC Discussion Forums
MarkW

F-35 news roundup

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Only time will tell, but this was all about survival over a hostile and blatantly unfair tariff imposed by the US commerce department.

I see it as win-win. The company was facing an uncertain future after the tariffs were announced. Now they will still build the components going for final assembly at Airbus in the US. The tooling aren’t  moving. The final assembly point of those jets is.

The Canadian taxpayer doesn’t lose, each jet sold pays back the loan.

Indeed time will tell but right now the signs point to the Québec and Canadian tax payers on the hook for the $6 billion debt (plus interest) Bombardier has incurred in all this. That's a lot of money! Somebody has to pay it and Airbus not Bombardier now owns the lions share of the aircraft, including sales and Airbus isn't paying that huge figure back that Bombardier incurred. I guess its just me but that sounds like a big lose for the tax payer. Don't forget Bombardier's other venture in rail is yet another money suck for the tax payer too (so, money comes in...money goes out). What happens production and job wise down the road? Anyone's guess. But there's no doubt the U.S. has gained jobs in the Airbus C-Series that it didn't have last week and stands in a better position to gain more thanks to cheaper work force costs and no unions rather then lose in that department as time goes on. Besides we all know a company (Airbus) can say whatever they want to look like the good guys to get the deal done but over time do the complete opposite. Airbus is looking out for Airbus no different then any other company. A year or two from now they may find it more profitable to relocate the Airbus C-Series elsewhere. Again, who knows?

19 hours ago, 11bee said:

If they keep peddling them at the same cost as what Delta paid for these jets, it undoubtedly will be very "popular".   However, Airbus might start to feel just a bit of financial discomfort.   If they sell this jet at it's real price, they will have a tough run competing against Embraier which already has a much superior order book for it's jet.    As far as the C-Series being the basis for an eventual replacement for the A320, this is highly unlikely.   Airbus is just in the beginning of the A320/21 Neo program.  That program will run for at least a decade.   By then, the C-Series will be a 20 year old design and will have nothing to offer.    

But the 737MAX will have something to offer? That's basically a 50 year old design. The A320 is a basically 40 year old design. Neither of them will have "anything to offer" compared to a something like the C series. And Boeing have been dumping 737s at massively under cost as well ($22 million oer airframe in one case), so why would Airbus feel the pinch any more than them? (or any less than them?) 

Edited by Dmanton300

18 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

But the 737MAX will have something to offer? That's basically a 50 year old design. The A320 is a basically 40 year old design. Neither of them will have "anything to offer" compared to a something like the C series. And Boeing have been dumping 737s at massively under cost as well ($22 million oer airframe in one case), so why would Airbus feel the pinch any more than them? (or any less than them?) 

Err.... where did I mention the 737?   I agree 100%, it’s a design that is on its last legs.   BA should have waited until Airbus was fully committed to the Neo and then went with a clean sheet design.  

My point about the C Series was that it won’t have anything to offer from a design standpoint.  It was sized for the RJ mission.  It can be stretched a bit but the sweet spot in the single aisle market is moving up, it’s now the -8max and the 321neo.  You could conceivably stretch the C-series to get close to those aircraft but it will lose a great deal of its efficiency.   It’s technology is impressive but when BA and Airbus finally develop new designs, sometime around 2025, they will be using state of the art technology, not technology that originated in 2005.  

India is growing tired of the Russian T-50 wonderjet, and is looking to finally terminate the program.  This could lead to a possible purchase of the F-35?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15327/india-might-finally-terminate-their-stealth-fighter-program-with-russia

I know this source will enrage at least one of our members but I still find it useful on occasion.  It also goes without saying that anything involving Indian defense procurement needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt. Even if it turns out be true, it could still end up changing a day later.   

Regardless,  if this were to actually happen, it would be a massive win not just for the program but for the US in general.

Edited by 11bee

Interesting article. If...and its obviously a BIG "if" right now...India does opt for and get approval for the F-35 and drop its ties with the Russian T-50 it could bring about a significant order increase for the F-35. As the article mentions, the Indian Air Force would want them and the Indian Navy would also want them for both its ski jump equipped carriers and catapult carriers. That would be a huge boon to LM! One wonders where this would leave Pakistan? I thought there were rumors of Pakistan actively seeking the F-35 but the U.S was reluctant to sell to them over concerns with their relationship with China? If India does jump into the F-35 program would Pakistan push for it as well or would they do something like approach Russia for the T-50 or continue pressing China for the FC-31/J-31?  Interesting times.

Regards,

Don.

LM has already been through this with India on the F-16IN production program. They know how India plays the game...

So......any F-35 news out there?

8 hours ago, 11bee said:

India is growing tired of the Russian T-50 wonderjet, and is looking to finally terminate the program.  This could lead to a possible purchase of the F-35?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15327/india-might-finally-terminate-their-stealth-fighter-program-with-russia

I know this source will enrage at least one of our members but I still find it useful on occasion.

Yep he's a fraud. And I'll bet he's wrong again here. But make sure to give him clicks and then wonder where all the real news people disappear to

Edited by TaiidanTomcat