18 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

But the 737MAX will have something to offer? That's basically a 50 year old design. The A320 is a basically 40 year old design. Neither of them will have "anything to offer" compared to a something like the C series. And Boeing have been dumping 737s at massively under cost as well ($22 million oer airframe in one case), so why would Airbus feel the pinch any more than them? (or any less than them?) 

Err.... where did I mention the 737?   I agree 100%, it’s a design that is on its last legs.   BA should have waited until Airbus was fully committed to the Neo and then went with a clean sheet design.  

My point about the C Series was that it won’t have anything to offer from a design standpoint.  It was sized for the RJ mission.  It can be stretched a bit but the sweet spot in the single aisle market is moving up, it’s now the -8max and the 321neo.  You could conceivably stretch the C-series to get close to those aircraft but it will lose a great deal of its efficiency.   It’s technology is impressive but when BA and Airbus finally develop new designs, sometime around 2025, they will be using state of the art technology, not technology that originated in 2005.  

India is growing tired of the Russian T-50 wonderjet, and is looking to finally terminate the program.  This could lead to a possible purchase of the F-35?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15327/india-might-finally-terminate-their-stealth-fighter-program-with-russia

I know this source will enrage at least one of our members but I still find it useful on occasion.  It also goes without saying that anything involving Indian defense procurement needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt. Even if it turns out be true, it could still end up changing a day later.   

Regardless,  if this were to actually happen, it would be a massive win not just for the program but for the US in general.

Edited by 11bee

Interesting article. If...and its obviously a BIG "if" right now...India does opt for and get approval for the F-35 and drop its ties with the Russian T-50 it could bring about a significant order increase for the F-35. As the article mentions, the Indian Air Force would want them and the Indian Navy would also want them for both its ski jump equipped carriers and catapult carriers. That would be a huge boon to LM! One wonders where this would leave Pakistan? I thought there were rumors of Pakistan actively seeking the F-35 but the U.S was reluctant to sell to them over concerns with their relationship with China? If India does jump into the F-35 program would Pakistan push for it as well or would they do something like approach Russia for the T-50 or continue pressing China for the FC-31/J-31?  Interesting times.

Regards,

Don.

8 hours ago, 11bee said:

India is growing tired of the Russian T-50 wonderjet, and is looking to finally terminate the program.  This could lead to a possible purchase of the F-35?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15327/india-might-finally-terminate-their-stealth-fighter-program-with-russia

I know this source will enrage at least one of our members but I still find it useful on occasion.

Yep he's a fraud. And I'll bet he's wrong again here. But make sure to give him clicks and then wonder where all the real news people disappear to

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

No way on this Green Earth India will EVER see the F-35.  The export controls would kill the deal with extreme prejudice.

But we'll have talks, if for no other reason than to piss off the Russians.

8 minutes ago, MarkW said:

No way on this Green Earth India will EVER see the F-35.  The export controls would kill the deal with extreme prejudice.

I thought at some point, we’d consider selling the jet to “second tier” allies?  

Personally, I’ve got more concerns with Turkey having access to these jets.  

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

I thought at some point, we’d consider selling the jet to “second tier” allies?  

Personally, I’ve got more concerns with Turkey having access to these jets.  

Really? Turkey has been entrusted with western equipment for years (older technology). Although I share a similar concern as you with the sharing of this technology.

My bigger concern is with India, who have close ties with Russia and have been flying frontline Russian equipment for years.

In case you haven’t noticed, Turkey is going in a completely different direction under the current regime.   Pretty sure they just inked a major deal for Russian SAMs and expanded military cooperation.    At the same time, it has become extremely anti-Israeli.    

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

In case you haven’t noticed, Turkey is going in a completely different direction under the current regime.   Pretty sure they just inked a major deal for Russian SAMs and expanded military cooperation.    At the same time, it has become extremely anti-Israeli.    

These SAM's?

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2017-09-15/turkey-defies-nato-and-buys-russian-s-400-sams

Video here with irritating computer voice but interesting nonetheless  (1:54 quote was eye opening):

11 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Nice...Now, what's new here? Have they matched the "masked" (the areas with the "saw tooth edges, etc...?) areas with the main top coat?

Yep. They changed a manufacturing process that has the advantage of looking more uniform in appearance

On 10/31/2017 at 6:57 AM, 82Whitey51 said:

Nice...Now, what's new here? Have they matched the "masked" (the areas with the "saw tooth edges, etc...?) areas with the main top coat?

Not really new. Posted here months ago, including a photo. However *these* photos are new, and excellent

Shane

German F-35"s?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15896/germany-says-the-f-35-is-the-preferred-choice-to-replace-its-tornados

Why do I think this is an extreme longshot?  Instead, the Germans will probably end up collaborating with the French on a 5th gen design, which by the time it is operational, will be struggling to keep up with the 6th generation aircraft in service with the US.  This will be done in the name of European unity.   

Or instead, maybe the Germans will just purchase Super Hornets?   

BTW, the article features a nice picture of a current production F-35 in the new paint scheme.   

Edited by 11bee
13 minutes ago, 11bee said:

German F-35"s?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15896/germany-says-the-f-35-is-the-preferred-choice-to-replace-its-tornados

Why do I think this is an extreme longshot?  Instead, the Germans will probably end up collaborating with the French on a 5th gen design, which by the time it is operational, will be struggling to keep up with the 6th generation aircraft in service with the US.  This will be done in the name of European unity.   

Or instead, maybe the Germans will just purchase Super Hornets?   

BTW, the article features a nice picture of a current production F-35 in the new paint scheme.   

The Tornado's are planned to begin a phase out in 2025..

Realistically they would need to have a full up 5th Gen designed, flight tested and going through trials by 2023..only five years from now (roughly).  I think the Germans haven't been particularly pleased at how the Typhoon program went so they might be a bit more cautious about diving into a EuroStrike aircraft, but that's just me spitballing that. 

Block 3 Super Hornets are a good possibility, however I think the proliferation of advanced double digit SAM's to increasingly unstable areas and the (admittedly smallish) possibility of a localized shooting war in the greater Euro Sphere of influence..I don't know.