Well all I can say is that each country has specific missions and the kit is designed for that. Just think we upgraded to NACES seats where they did not..... we kept the Launch bar on the NLG where they didn't yet they retro fitted dumby bars. Why the wee differences who cares.... the birds are pretty much the same. Engines really don't matter as I'm sure they will debute in overhauled zero time engines. Most of the upgrades we have done they have also in parallel with us. CBR has been done on some of thier birds and I'm sure that is a basis for our fuselage picks. This is a low cost closer to the percieved capability gap. I'm cool with this option until F-35A is bought.

At Australia's request, Boeing has developed and will be unveiling a stealthy "Loyal Wingman" UAV tomorrow at the Avalon Airshow.  

Pretty interesting concept, which I assume would be teamed with both their SH/Growler fleets and their F-35's.    Wonder if this will also see it's way into US operations? 

http://thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26656/boeing-will-unveil-this-loyal-wingman-combat-drone-for-australias-air-force-tomorrow

Can you imagine when we see the 1st F-35 with some real color on it, say a Wing King Jet or a CAG bird? Then you'll see some decals made!!  (P.S. I know and understand the reason for LO markings, but I think some color would look cool! :-))

1 hour ago, boom175 said:

Can you imagine when we see the 1st F-35 with some real color on it, say a Wing King Jet or a CAG bird? Then you'll see some decals made!!  (P.S. I know and understand the reason for LO markings, but I think some color would look cool! :-))

VMFA-122-F-35B-800x445.jpg

Seeing a little more here and there

9 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

VMFA-314 Black Knights are scheduled to be the first Marine unit to transition into the F-35C very soon. They've been in Hornets for 36 years!

-Gregg

I thought that the Marines were only getting the F-35B. 

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I thought that the Marines were only getting the F-35B. 

The Marines are going to have a few F-35C squadrons to fulfill Marine CVW duties .

-Gtegg

Going to be an interesting decision on Turkey's F-35's coming up shortly.    Personally, given that Turkey these days appears to be more of an adversary than an ally, I wonder if the prudent course would be to scrap the F-35 deal, despite the implications to the program?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/politics/pentagon-warning-turkey-missile-system/index.html

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Going to be an interesting decision on Turkey's F-35's coming up shortly.    Personally, given that Turkey these days appears to be more of an adversary than an ally, I wonder if the prudent course would be to scrap the F-35 deal, despite the implications to the program?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/politics/pentagon-warning-turkey-missile-system/index.html

Scrap it and sell them to Poland.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:00 AM, 11bee said:

Just out of random curiosity, why would two operators of land-based Hornets have different LG configurations?   

Cost, this was cheaper to purchase and we didn’t require the higher rate of descent required for carrier landings.