Jump to content

F-35 news roundup


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, 11bee said:

Cool picture.  Having these jets on amphibs is a real game changer.   Wonder why they have to cover the ejection seat?   Haven’t seen that done on land-based 35’s.   

I don't know if there is a F-35 specific thing. But we covered the Sets on our A-10's at the end of the day.  Most ejection seats have covers that are part of the A/C's "inventory" such as intake/ exhaust covers etc. In the USAF we called that stuff -21 equipment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, habu2 said:

Just a question, not a criticism....

I think you missed the larger point...

 

Freedom isn't free

And here's a semi cool F-35B rolling approach.

 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29569/check-out-this-f-35-helmet-display-video-of-a-rolling-landing-on-the-hms-queen-elizabeth?xid=emailshare

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boom175 said:

I don't know if there is a F-35 specific thing. But we covered the Sets on our A-10's at the end of the day.  Most ejection seats have covers that are part of the A/C's "inventory" such as intake/ exhaust covers etc. In the USAF we called that stuff -21 equipment.

Out of curiosity, why would you have to?  I get having to cover intakes, exhausts due to FOD concerns, but a seat in a sealed cockpit?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Out of curiosity, why would you have to?  I get having to cover intakes, exhausts due to FOD concerns, but a seat in a sealed cockpit?   

Just normal wear and tear, when the jet isn't flying guys getting in and out of the cockpit, I guess it also keeps the parachute straps and seat cushion out of the sun. That type of stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, boom175 said:

Just normal wear and tear, when the jet isn't flying guys getting in and out of the cockpit, I guess it also keeps the parachute straps and seat cushion out of the sun. That type of stuff. 

Good info, thanks Boom! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scott Taylor said:

If they get SU-35s or SU-57s I'd wonder whether they were going to stay in NATO.

I'd argue that under current leadership, they haven't been in NATO for quite some time.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many in Turkey believe Erdogan orchestrated the recent coup attempt to weed out his enemies within. 
He uses religion as a bargaining tool to win elections. If people want Turkey to remain Muslim they best vote for him.
Unfortunately for him the educated and those relying on tourism want him out. Maybe finally the tide is turning.
Although for the time being the TRY is 1/2 the value it was a few years ago. Great time for holidays in Turkey.


This week Erdogan  was in Moscow for MAKS cosying up to Putin. One has to wonder just how cosy?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another company has pulled out of Canada’s competition to buy new fighter jets.

The United Kingdom’s Ministry of Defence and Airbus Defence and Space informed the Canadian government Friday of their decision to withdraw from Canada’s future fighter competition. Airbus had been offering Canada the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Last year the French firm Dassault informed the Canadian government it would not be taking part in the competition. It had been planning to offer Canada the Rafale fighter jet.

The $19 billion competition has been dogged by allegations it is designed to favour Lockheed Martin’s F-35 stealth fighter.

Postmedia reported earlier this year that the requirements for the new jets put emphasis on strategic attack and striking at ground targets during foreign missions. That criteria is seen to benefit the F-35. In addition, the federal government changed criteria on how it would assess industrial benefits after the U.S. government threatened to pull the F-35 from the competition.

Industry representatives have said they will carefully review the Canadian requirements before making their decision to bid. The work needed to prepare a bid will cost the firms around $15 million each.

The decision to pull the Eurofighter from the competition leaves the F-35, the Boeing Super Hornet, and Saab’s Gripen. It is unclear whether Boeing or Saab will continue in the competition.

 

And then there were 3... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Serve 'em right if after all the crap the Maple Leaf's dumped on it Boeing said "No Toys For You," and then after seeing the nuisance of dealing with Ottawa Saab did the same thing, leaving only the choice of "F-35 or Off The Team Like Turkey." Trudeau crapped his bed, now he can sleep in it...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

Many in Turkey believe Erdogan orchestrated the recent coup attempt to weed out his enemies within. 
He uses religion as a bargaining tool to win elections. If people want Turkey to remain Muslim they best vote for him.
Unfortunately for him the educated and those relying on tourism want him out. Maybe finally the tide is turning.
Although for the time being the TRY is 1/2 the value it was a few years ago. Great time for holidays in Turkey.


This week Erdogan  was in Moscow for MAKS cosying up to Putin. One has to wonder just how cosy?
 

Does anyone think he'll willingly step down over something as trivial as losing an election?    The Islamic Republic of Turkey is here to stay. 

Edited by 11bee
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a Federal election in Canada in October. This could potentially  be huge for Canada's  future fighter selection based on who wins... or...nothing will change at all even if there is a change in power. Feet dragging for military procurement crosses party lines in Canada. Time will tell but I see this drama playing out for a few more years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting short documentary on HMS Queen Elizabeth:

My Lusty is lonely Airfix (or whomever)...it wants a 1/350 Lizzy for company.  Get on it :coolio:.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Don said:

Interesting short documentary on HMS Queen Elizabeth:

My Lusty is lonely Airfix (or whomever)...it wants a 1/350 Lizzy for company.  Get on it :coolio:.

Fun fact - they have a very nice looking pub onboard, with craft beers on tap.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...