Jump to content

Recommended Posts

VMFA-251 stood down yesterday and will be moving to MCAS Cherry Point. When they stand back up, they'll be operating the F-35C.

 

Hangars 1700 and 1701, which housed the Q squadrons, have been torn down and new hangars are being built for the F-35's arrival. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

VMFA-251 stood down yesterday and will be moving to MCAS Cherry Point. When they stand back up, they'll be operating the F-35C.

 

Hangars 1700 and 1701, which housed the Q squadrons, have been torn down and new hangars are being built for the F-35's arrival. 

 

Oh boy I can't wait to have to put conversations on hold every time they launch a bird

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Just another day in the USAF...  If you can't meet a goal, the best solution is to make the goal go away.  You gave it your best shot Mad Dog...

 

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020/05/07/the-air-force-bails-on-mattis-era-fighter-jet-readiness-goal/

 

In related news, another requirement proved tough to meet, so the military just made it go away.

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/f35-stealth-technology-deficiency

 

Defense News reports that the major deficiency — in which F-35B and F-35C variants experienced damage to their stealth coating after firing their afterburners — will go unaddressed by the F-35 Joint Program Office despite its risk of undermining the aircraft's critical stealth systems.

“This issue was closed on December 17, 2019 with no further actions and concurrence from the U.S. services,” the F-35 Joint Program Office told Defense News in a statement. "The [deficiency report] was closed under the category of ‘no plan to correct,’ which is used by the F-35 team when the operator value provided by a complete fix does not justify the estimated cost of that fix."

Edited by 11bee
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Minimum power catapult launch of an F-35C.   This is why test pilots get paid the big bucks!

 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33689/code-brown-as-this-f-35c-sinks-to-just-above-the-waves-after-taking-a-low-power-catapult-shot


That’s interesting, but I noticed that the aircraft didn’t appear to be carrying any external weapons.  Wonder if it was carrying a full internal and fuel load.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wait.  In ten years we will have F-14D kits from Eduard, Must Have, Airfix, Tarangus, Special Hobby, a reconstituted Wingnut Wings, and the AMK thread will still be going with new arguments. 

 

 

Rick L.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, caudleryan said:

I just realized that this thread is now 10 years old and still running. Record for longest running thread?

 

Surely they're going to cancel the F-35 soon. Any day now. Can't be much longer. I mean, we had so many editorials in so many magazines and websites, adamant that the F-35 can't do anything and will never be able to do anything, no matter how much money they chuck at it. Surely they can't all have been wrong!?!?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, caudleryan said:

I just realized that this thread is now 10 years old and still running. Record for longest running thread?

 

X-35 first flight was in 2000. 

 

F-35 first flight (AA-1) was in 2005. 

 

Cutting edge technology I tell ya......

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

Just wait.  In ten years we will have F-14D kits from Eduard, Must Have, Airfix, Tarangus, Special Hobby, a reconstituted Wingnut Wings, and the AMK thread will still be going with new arguments. 


And we still won’t have a Tamiya F-16D.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

 

Surely they're going to cancel the F-35 soon. Any day now. Can't be much longer. I mean, we had so many editorials in so many magazines and websites, adamant that the F-35 can't do anything and will never be able to do anything, no matter how much money they chuck at it. Surely they can't all have been wrong!?!?!

Just needed to have faith.  I, for one, never had a doubt about the ultimate success of The Program.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 7:20 AM, 11bee said:

Just another day in the USAF...  If you can't meet a goal, the best solution is to make the goal go away.  You gave it your best shot Mad Dog...

 

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020/05/07/the-air-force-bails-on-mattis-era-fighter-jet-readiness-goal/

 

It more complicated than that of course. This is how hard you want to attack and sell out to hit a magical number, vs other considerations. Or just good old fashion lying about readiness numbers. 

 

 

 

Quote

 

In related news, another requirement proved tough to meet, so the military just made it go away.

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/f35-stealth-technology-deficiency

 

Defense News reports that the major deficiency — in which F-35B and F-35C variants experienced damage to their stealth coating after firing their afterburners — will go unaddressed by the F-35 Joint Program Office despite its risk of undermining the aircraft's critical stealth systems.

“This issue was closed on December 17, 2019 with no further actions and concurrence from the U.S. services,” the F-35 Joint Program Office told Defense News in a statement. "The [deficiency report] was closed under the category of ‘no plan to correct,’ which is used by the F-35 team when the operator value provided by a complete fix does not justify the estimated cost of that fix."

 

 

One thing that hasn't changed in 10 years of this thread is shoddy reports

 

 

Here is a little more context, than "oh we give up!" 

 

 

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/2020/05/22/the-inside-story-of-two-supersonic-flights-that-changed-how-america-operates-the-f-35/

 

All aircraft have limits and things it can do, but we really prefer that you don't, or at least not often 🙂

 

 

 

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 8:44 PM, TaiidanTomcat said:

 

It more complicated than that of course. This is how hard you want to attack and sell out to hit a magical number, vs other considerations. Or just good old fashion lying about readiness numbers. 

 

 

 

 

 

One thing that hasn't changed in 10 years of this thread is shoddy reports

 

 

Here is a little more context, than "oh we give up!" 

 

 

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/2020/05/22/the-inside-story-of-two-supersonic-flights-that-changed-how-america-operates-the-f-35/

 

All aircraft have limits and things it can do, but we really prefer that you don't, or at least not often 🙂

 

 

 

 

But...but...but... that doesn't fit the narrative! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 3:33 PM, caudleryan said:

I just realized that this thread is now 10 years old and still running. Record for longest running thread?

 

Nope, I believe that honor goes to the one over in the Test Post Clubhouse, called "A Warning to Moai Vincent."  Started in 2006, it's now 465 pages long and counting.  :moai: :cheers:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 12:48 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

 

Nope, I believe that honor goes to the one over in the Test Post Clubhouse, called "A Warning to Moai Vincent."  Started in 2006, it's now 465 pages long and counting.  :moai: :cheers:

 

 

Moai is going to win. There isn't enough F-35 debate left to fill over 100 more pages. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too big, to allow to lose. Too many political fingers in, as well. 

If it fails at something, make that something go away. Not actually fix the problem. Pretty much sums up America right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

greetings all.  I've read back quite a ways and havent discovered and answer.  Latewr pics I see of the F-3254 seem to show a much more muted / minimal variation in paint between the airframe and the RAM.  Have they changed the RAM color to more accurately blend in, or are these pics of birds w/o the RAM in place?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, planeboy said:

greetings all.  I've read back quite a ways and havent discovered and answer.  Latewr pics I see of the F-3254 seem to show a much more muted / minimal variation in paint between the airframe and the RAM.  Have they changed the RAM color to more accurately blend in, or are these pics of birds w/o the RAM in place?

In the last year or two, new production jets have a revised RAM coating that blends in much better with the paintwork.  You can still see the RAM (especially from certain angles, in certain lighting) but it's not nearly as pronounced as the earlier jets. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...