What diameter wire should I use for rigging 1/72 biplanes, and what is a good source for this wire?

I have been wondering about E-Z line? How has this worked for you?

Thanks!

Edited by Ace1

Go to a sewing shop and find invisble thread. It is actually too large for 1/72 but it looks great and is easy to work with. You will also need a pack of #80 drill bits, a pin vise and CA glue.

I really didn't like the idea of drilling holes and such for the line rigging, so I gave cut and glued wire a try and found it worked pretty well without driving me bonkers (can't say I enjoy that part of building aircraft but I can tolerate it). I've been using guitar string, a superlight E string which is also called 8 gauge although it is actually 0.08", not 8 gauge wire which would be rather large. A string is $1-2 which gives you probably 3 feet of flexible but stiff thin steel wire.

He is my first attempt at rigging a 1/72 Airfix RE-8, I just cut to length and glued it with epoxy.

RE81.jpg

RE82.jpg

G'Day Ace1. Since discovering EZ-Line, I've not used anything else. While the material is truely excellent, MY key to success is in the way I do the rigging.

I build till I have the lower wing attached to the fuselage. Next, I superglue the middle of a length of EZ-Line into the sockets of the lower wings, then (plastic)glue-in the struts. With the upper wing tacked upside-down to a card (with blu-tack/silly-putty), I dry-fit the fuselage/wing/wet-strut assembly (also upside-down) to the upper wing, and adjust it to true. Days later, I remove the fuselage, them draw the line LIGHTLY over the tops of the struts (a fine pre-cut slit helps). Lock them there with superglue, then when dry, trim-off the dags (Aussie for loose dangly bits). You have just rigged it WITHOUT that pesky upper wing in the way. Lastly, glue the struts to the (still upside-down) upper wing - fit should be perfect, right? Hold only the upper wing to un-tack it from the card.

G'Day Ace1. Since discovering EZ-Line, I've not used anything else. While the material is truely excellent, MY key to success is in the way I do the rigging.

I build till I have the lower wing attached to the fuselage. Next, I superglue the middle of a length of EZ-Line into the sockets of the lower wings, then (plastic)glue-in the struts. With the upper wing tacked upside-down to a card (with blu-tack/silly-putty), I dry-fit the fuselage/wing/wet-strut assembly (also upside-down) to the upper wing, and adjust it to true. Days later, I remove the fuselage, them draw the line LIGHTLY over the tops of the struts (a fine pre-cut slit helps). Lock them there with superglue, then when dry, trim-off the dags (Aussie for loose dangly bits). You have just rigged it WITHOUT that pesky upper wing in the way. Lastly, glue the struts to the (still upside-down) upper wing - fit should be perfect, right? Hold only the upper wing to un-tack it from the card.

Try this on a cheapie model (like I did). It is easy, and it works. Good luck. George, out.....................