new 48th and 32nd kit releases since 2008

Yes, that's what a starting a new hobby and related business, a divorce and lifes little detours can do to you...awful I know, should be deemed sinfull :touche:

But hey, look on the bright side, I'M BACK! :yahoo:

I already have at least one fairly decent kit of most Cold War and some Modern in my 1/48 and 1/32 stash which I had collected prior to 2008, but I know that loads??? has been released/remoulded since then...

so, can we make this thread a refresher and try and list all/some of the re/releases/remoulds/new moulds in above era's that are my main area of interest, as it might be time for me to put the hand in the pocket m'fraid... :lol: :)

A brief description or general concensus how the kit stands up to its to predecessors, etc in quality, ease of build, decals, aftermarket required or available etc

I know, bit of a tall order, but if you don't ask as they say :)

I already had the following before my sojourn into the wilderness, so no need to duplicate in replies...

48th

HB Mirage III CJ

Hase F-2A

Italeri Gripen ( single + 2-seater)

Italeri F-22 ( not sure if this is recent release )

32nd

Trump Mig-21MF Fishbed J

Trump F-105G Wild Weasel

Hobbyboss 48th

Mig-17 (F, PF, PFM, J-5 and soon JJ-5)

Tornado (IDS, ECR F-3)

F-111 (A,C,D/E, soon FB-111)

F/A-18 (A, C, D)

Rafale (B, C, M)

A-7 (A,B,D,E and soon TA-7C)

FJ-4 Fury

F3H Demon (soon)

F-105D, G

A-10A, A-10 NAW

AFV Club

F-5E - (E,RF-5E, soon Shark Nose)

Academy

F-15 Strike Eagle (revised tool) K,E,I soon C

F-111 revised tool (starting this fall with a C)

F-22 Raptor

Kinetic

E-2 Hawkeye (USN C, French, soon Hawkeye 2000)

EA-6B (soon)

F-16 (AM, D, Sufa, Block 20, Barak, Israeli F-16D, Greek, Polish, and probably some I have forgotten)

F-84F

Tamiya

F-16C (Block 52 CJ, Block 30, Aggressor, Thunderbird)

Airfix

Canberra (PR-9, B-57B, B(I)-8, B-2)

TSR-2

Trumpeter

F-100 (C,D, soon F)

C-47

Su-24

F9F-2, 2P

J-10A , J-10C

JF-17

J-8 Finbacks (to come)

Bronco

J-10A, J-10C

JF-17

Revell Germany

Rafale B (revised updated)

Revell

F/A-18E and F

Eduard

Mig-21 series (this year starting with MF this fall)

Hasegawa

F-22

Saab Drakken

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head....give me a nights sleep and I'll get more!

Edited by Matt Roberts

Cheers Matt, got a few q's re quality of some of those releases compared with earlier stuff... :blink:

1.How do the Hase and Academy Raptors compare to the Italeri in terms of accuracy, fit, etc

2.Can you comment likewise on the HB Tornado IDS

3.HB and Trump Thuds vs Revell and old Monogram kits?

4. AFV F-5E is it much better than the old CA, Revell, Italeri versions?

5. Trump Su-24?

6.Seriously interested in the Bronco or Trump J-10A or maybe C? Whats the verdict on these?

7. Trump J-8 ?

8. Bronco JF-17 ?

Edited by model_madness

One thing to remember - especially if you have not been surfing the boards is that any new release gets battle lines drawn, between the 'goodnufs' and the 'rivet counters' and the results are often bloody and we even had a board succeded as a result of the Kinetic Wars over the F-16! (Zoan Phoive) I try to remain in the middle but am often lumped with the 'goodnufs'. One big bone of contention that almost all can agree on is that new tools are costing too much - so you'll see alot of us *itching about North American pricing. One thing that some kits have had are pictures and data showing where accuracy suffers, but others kits have not yet really had the documentation supporting one side or the other - it is best to come to your own conclusion as to how important the issues are.

Cheers Matt, got a few q's re quality of some of those releases compared with earlier stuff... :coolio:

1.How do the Hase and Academy Raptors compare to the Italeri in terms of accuracy, fit, etc

The Academy and Hasegawa better represent the operational Raptors than does the Italeri one. But each has 'flaws', the Academy one has 'too short' vertical tails and the Hasegawa has too pronounced surface detail. Then again you have the cost of both

The HB Fin has gotten some slamming on Britmodeler as a result of errors around the nose of both the IDS and F-3. I have a hard time seeing the problems with the IDS variant, but I do see some problems with the canopy - the framing is 'off'. I'd go and look at Jon Kunac-Tabinors threads on BM for the 'rivet counter' build where he actually corrected the errors. One thing I don't like (other than the price) is that it appears that the Luftwaffe IDS was the primary one to be built based upon ordnance included. Except for Alarms there are no real 'RAF' stores such as the Skyshadow ECM pod, JP-233s, LGBs, or targeting pods included. To me some day I will buy one and build it. As a kit - parts which fit where they are supposed to and to my eyes looks the part - it appears a good kit - for a Luftwaffe bird (I'd prefer Marinefliegger)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...&hl=tornado

Each has it's advocates. There are those that say the nose is off (but the same with the Monogram one) and the newer kits have better 'detail' such as the engine and bomb bay than the Monogram. Biggest differance is recessed panel lines vs raised - as well as price.

CA did an earlier F-5 the A-C versions. The kit is only now starting to get built, some of the aftermarket decal guys are starting to get Aggressor and Advisary (sic) sheets out (Afterburner and Two Bobs). Better than the Esci/Italieri but like nearly everything else there are some who say the Monogram is a better outline but I have yet to see any comparisons one way or the other. Nice looking kit and I look forward to more foreign operators before I grab one.

5. Trump Su-24?

Expensive and a couple of outline problems for those who notice those types of thing (non-drooping nose and not enough spine) Nice kit for building, a thread is over in Aeroscale. Alot of Soviet air to ground weaponry, though it may be short in the total numbers of launcher rails for the missiles - which IIRC each has it's own specific rail.

6.Seriously interested in the Bronco or Trump J-10A or maybe C? Whats the verdict on these?

So far there is not a whole lot of critical discussion one way or the other. Here is my build OOB and Yufei's (Haneto) that has more aftermarket (and a higher build quality!) As a kit I like it, I just have to get the urge to finish the last 2% of the build....glueing the missiles on, paint the canopy and bang seat!

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....7&hl=dragon

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....mp;hl=trumpeter

7. Trump J-8 ?

Not released yet, three variants planned. A pretty neat subject for those of us who like Warpac and Chinese subjects

8. Bronco JF-17 ?

So far it seems a toss up between the Trumpeter and the Bronco kit - there are those who say one or the other is a result of industrial espionage of the CADD files. Bronco has a bit more PE and finese than the Trumpeter kit - similar to the J-10s

Edited by Matt Roberts

OK sounds fair so far! No woorries, I'm certainly no river counter, almost certainly a goodnuff as I have 50% of my stash Monograms!, loads of Academy, some HB etc - really got better things to do in my free time than take a mould to bits online...but at least fair accuracy and quality is what im after, and of course a reasonable price!

I like to at least make a semi informed decision to buy or wait it out....

thanks for the 1st installment, waiting with baited breath for the next! :cheers:

Edited by model_madness

5. Trump Su-24?

7. Trump J-8 ?

8. Bronco JF-17 ?

Wow, now that's a tall order! :-)

Any one of us could summarize the popular wisdom for each of the eight kits you've asked about, but there have been multiple discussions about each of them. I'd recommend using the Search function to look back over the last year or so and find the relevant discussions. You'll be thrilled with what you find and could easily spend an evening reading through them with a glass of scotch or bourbon at your side. :thumbsup:

Here's an eight-page conversation on the Su-24 to whet your appetite:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=194101

Sarg,

I hear you about the search function, I'm well familiar with it :thumbsup:

As you may or may not have read, after being out of the mainstream for some while now, I am really just looking for a "feel" for which kits I might look at purchasing/replacing/upgrading in the near future. OTOH, I do realise, of course, everyone has their own subjective view, a bit like a backside, depending on which angle they're coming from.

I'd have to spend many, many hrs, reading, digesting loads of threads to come anywhere close to just asking those in the "know" as I have done for their "personal" experience/advice. In the end I'll make my own judgement call, of course. I respect most peoples views in this hobby, and when I don't know I ask.

I am by no means a lazy person, i learnt most of which i know about modelling by spending weeks reading almost every thread in the tools and tips,but right now, trying to digest 2 yrs of kit releases on a forum the size of this, with 10-20 models I'm interested in, just is a exercise in wasted time IMO. I could never catch up entirely.

But, feel free to add your verdict of any of the above kits if you have though!

Edited by model_madness
Sarg,

But, feel free to add your verdict of any of the above kits if you have though!

No prob. I'm just a geek who loves surfing the web and reading about models!

That said, if accuracy is important for you, I think the most interesting items on your list are the Tamiya F-16C, Academy F-15E, and the Kinetic EA-6B. These are widely seen as very good kits (well, the EA-6B is anticipated to be a very good kit).

If accuracy is not a compelling factor in your selection, most of the models on your list will build up nicely, so it's just a matter of what interests you.