I'm biting off a big project. I recently got the Italieri 1:72 VH-71 Marine One kit at a garage sale for a buck, and figured it would be nice to work with a smaller scale for a change. Only problem... it has NO interior whatsoever, spare the standard EH101 deck plating (not even interior wall panels). It looks like I have to build an interior from scratch.

I already have some concept plans from a friend of mine at HMX-1 (since the program is essentially dead, he didn't mind sharing them), so I know that it was slated to have a few chairs, a couch, a hardwood table, a large LCD screen, a communication station, and a small chemical toilet. I have some blue velour that I will use for carpeting, but I'm at a loss how to recreate the wood panelling. On top of that, I'm really not confident that I can make the seating from putty, and the spare ejection seats I have just won't do at all. Any kitbashers know what kind of 1:72 models have some good interior seats? Maybe an airliner or Gulfstream? I think I can get away with building the comm station around a laptop or computer set, anyone know where I can get an accessory like that?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Did I mention that this will be my first major departure from an out-of-the-box kit?

Edited by bahamut0013
I'm biting off a big project. I recently got the Italieri 1:72 VH-71 Marine One kit at a garage sale for a buck, and figured it would be nice to work with a smaller scale for a change. Only problem... it has NO interior whatsoever, spare the standard EH101 deck plating (not even interior wall panels). It looks like I have to build an interior from scratch.

I already have some concept plans from a friend of mine at HMX-1 (since the program is essentially dead, he didn't mind sharing them), so I know that it was slated to have a few chairs, a couch, a hardwood table, a large LCD screen, a communication station, and a small chemical toilet. I have some blue velour that I will use for carpeting, but I'm at a loss how to recreate the wood panelling. On top of that, I'm really not confident that I can make the seating from putty, and the spare ejection seats I have just won't do at all. Any kitbashers know what kind of 1:72 models have some good interior seats? Maybe an airliner or Gulfstream? I think I can get away with building the comm station around a laptop or computer set, anyone know where I can get an accessory like that?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Did I mention that this will be my first major departure from an out-of-the-box kit?

On a semi-related note, I knew an ex-jarhead that was assigned to HMX-1 about 20 years ago. I asked him about the interior of the VH-3. Nothing specific, just general curiosity on what it was like inside. He said he couldn't provide any info at all on the subject. Guess this info is on a need to know basis.

On a related note, is it me or is it impossible to find any high resolution, detailed exterior photos of any of the presidential fleet?

There are a few photos of the interior on Wikimedia Commons, but they are all VH-3. I suppose if I wasn't still an active duty Marine with TS clearance, he might not given me a conceptual drawing for a helicopter that will never fly the president. There are also a couple of good guesses at here. As for exterior photos, photography isn't allowed within a certain radius, so you'd have to lie in wait with a large zoom lens, and if you went through all that trouble, you might not juts plaster it on the web.

Once you get the interior done how accurate do you want the exterior? There is a huge difference from the Italeri kit ( a rebox of the Cormorant, and the Cormorant wasn't right it was the demo bird!!???!????) to the VH-71, windows and NO rear ramp, taller left front door, etc., etc.

Since this will essentially be a "what-if" model, you should feel free to make it look the way you interpret it. Heck, if you want to put a minigun turret on it, I'd certainly say it's plausable-- something to keep the press corps at a respectful distance, y'know!

I built one of the test VH-71's while back. You doing it as it 'might of been' or as a prototype? If you look on the official Augustawestland web site, there are brochures you can download for the VIP version. It includes interior set-up as well as photo's. Doors are different (as mentioned) plus one or two aerials. The production version was to have other external differences including possible external fuel tanks, but was never fitted for real! There are some pics on the net of the test versions, just do a search on yahoo or similar.

Be interesting to see what happends to the 9 test airframes that were delivered to PAX River!

Dave

Yeah, I suppose you can consider it a "what-if"...

Any suggestions for the questions in my first post?

That'll be an interesting build, Bahamut0013!

I guess toilets and computers in 1:72 would be difficult to get and scratchbuilding would be the name of the game. Maybe some 1:72 EMS medical interior parts could double as PC parts.

About the chairs though: The Airfix 1:72 Shorts Skyvan has some nice basic type seats included. And if my memory serves me well, I remember that the 1:72 Esci/ Ertl Fokker 27 has got a bit more luxurious airline seats included.

Hth, good luck on the build!

Gertjan

Edited by GeejeeZ