I want to make my own decals

I want to make my own decals?

I've got a laser printer and lots of decal paper.

Only thing I want to know is how to make the designs so that they are accurate and in scale? Is it at all possible?

I want to make my own decals?

I've got a laser printer and lots of decal paper.

Only thing I want to know is how to make the designs so that they are accurate and in scale? Is it at all possible?

There have been so many threads on this subject..Can you please do a search in this forum? Basically, all you need is a vector-based drawing software; either commercial (such as Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator) or free (Sodipodi, Inkscape etc.) will work well. Much more information is available in various threads here on ARC.

And to followup, if you don't have access to the software -or- the desire to learn it then call a local printshop, they should be able to do the graphics you need (not a Kinkos, a real printer).

Thanks guys!

I'll try to get the software and see what I can do but first I'll read a bit more.

Okay, Nicolaas, here's the answer to your question: the easiest and most accurate way to make the decal images at the correct size for your model is to use a scale drawing of the subject (plane, car, whatever) as the background on illustration. Getting a scale drawing is sometimes easy (like for a P-47) and sometimes almost impossible. Resize the scale drawing in your illustration program to set the scale and then draw your decals on top. You will also have to measure your kit to make sure it is true to scale (many models are a little over or a little under the specified scale). For certain decals you will find that it has to be modified from what is "true" in order to fit a particular model. Hope this helps and have fun!

Or you can do everything with a bitmap program. Just scan your original decals or kit parts at a known resolution (600dpi is good), make new images at the same scale as the one you scanned using any bitmap drawing program (heck, I use Microsoft Paint - it isn't that difficult), and print them out at the same dpi.

Okay thank you! I`ll try to make a few over the weekend.

Another thing... do I have to make the designs myself? For example, I want to make decals for a south african airways 747.

There have been so many threads on this subject..Can you please do a search in this forum? Basically, all you need is a vector-based drawing software; either commercial (such as Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator) or free (Sodipodi, Inkscape etc.) will work well. Much more information is available in various threads here on ARC.

Does this guys question bother you that much? I did a search titled "how to make decals" and it didn't help a bit. That is unless you consider pulling up every thread with the word decal in it, help. The whole reason for posting a question is to get help with a subject. I can't stand it when some smart ess makes this suggestion as if your ruining his day by asking a question that for some reason he feels compelled to answer. The search on here is not that helpful. So there, do a search on that.