Using Digital silk deacls - 747 doors and windows

I am using draw decals 747 doors and windows set.

I have not used decals like these before (i.e. no clear are round the decal). What is the best way of treating these - should I coat the decal sheet first and then cut round the decals - if so is future ok to coat the sheet with.

I am somewhat expecting disaster in trying to place these window decals as they appear fragile and the rest of this 747 has been a PITA.

Any suggestions welcome!

Stuart

Stuart,

There is no need to coat the Digital Silk decal sheet before using the decals. The entire sheet has/is a clear coat. You simply need to cut out the elements you are applying (like the door/window string) and use them as you would any other decal. One suggestion to aid application is to use HOT water. The Digital Silk decals are robust, and can stand up to a lot of abuse, but the price for that is that they can be a bit stiff at times. Hot water helps soften them up.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I am using draw decals 747 doors and windows set.

I have not used decals like these before (i.e. no clear are round the decal). What is the best way of treating these - should I coat the decal sheet first and then cut round the decals - if so is future ok to coat the sheet with.

I am somewhat expecting disaster in trying to place these window decals as they appear fragile and the rest of this 747 has been a PITA.

Any suggestions welcome!

Stuart

Also, I have heard that you shouldn't use Future over them as the decals will react and yellow. Never having used them before I don't know for sure but it's something to be aware of.

I have heard that once or twice before as well, but my personal experience is that Future had no effect on them. I did a build review of the Alaska Cargo B737-400 for Internet Modeler, and used Future with no yellowing. I've seen photos of numerous other models that had no yellowing effects.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2007/march/...on/Mini_737.php

Regards,

Mike

(DRAW Decal Contributing Artist)

Also, I have heard that you shouldn't use Future over them as the decals will react and yellow. Never having used them before I don't know for sure but it's something to be aware of.

I can back up Mike's statement too. In all the twenty years I have been using Future it has never changed color one bit. Future can be applied over ANY paint or decal surface without discoloration or surface problems. You can also touch up a finger print years after you have built it. Do a quick swipe with a Q-Tip with a little Future on it and it's gone.

I also have a build on the Alaska 737-400 freighter in a later issue. This was built for Alaska Airlines Corp.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publ...a_Air_Cargo.php

Tim Bradley

The other DRAW decal artist.

Glad to hear you don't have problems. This is where I heard about it from. You can see it, it's not severe but it's there:

http://www.airlinercafe.com/photo_6974.details

Won't stop me from using their decals in the future (har har...) though. I'm not bashing Draw's product here at all, in case it sounds that way...

Edited by Nick L

Of the half dozen or so sets of Draw Decals I have used I have had them yellow twice when applying them over a coat of Future. I had problems with a set of MD-80 SAS Star Alliance decals and Allegiant MD-80 decals. It is very faint, but it is present and may very well be a result of my application technique!

Chris

DSC00827.jpg

Noticable around the L1 door.

DSC00156.jpg

Noticable just forward of the L2 door.

Edited by Thrushcom
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys, I could really use your help here, as I'm starting to freak out! I'm building a 767 and I ordered some Flying colors decals (Hawaiian) for it. I applied the corroguard panels on one of the stabilizers and the other day I discovered that the decal almost completely came down. I decided to seal it and sprayed Tamiya clear top coat all ower it... BIG MISTAKE!!! ^_^ This thing turned out to be eating up all my decals! Now I really don't now what to do. The decals obviously need to be seald/fixed in position but all the laquers eat them up. So now what?

Any advice would be extremely wellcome!

Thanks,

Peter