Hi,

I'd love to join this GB.

For starters I have a 1/48 Trump. Mig-15 that is already started. the wings have been glued together, the cockpit has been assembled and glued to one side of the fusselage. the fusselage has not been glued and nothing has been painted.

So what do you say, Can this one count?

thanks,

Ernie A.

modelmax, you have a green light :wave:

Thanks Sebastijan.

This is going to be an "out of box" build using the kit decals for the Soviet A/C. These are the subasseblies that are done so far.

Glued the fuselage halves first.

IMG_9586.jpg

Glued the wings together.

IMG_9589.jpg

Glued and some paint applied to cockpit/gunbay/front wheel well assembly.

IMG_9591.jpg

As you can see, very straight forward, nothing fancy.

thanks,

Ernie A.

Edited by modelmax
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi gang,

'been working on the mig a bit, and have made some progress...

but first, Just want to clarify that the soviet A/C I wanted to depict (the one in the side of the box in tac. cammo.) is dated to 1953. thus, I'll be modeling either a polish, check, or hungarian mig dated to the appropriate theme.

anyway,

got to paint the cockpit subassembly, and glued it to one side of the fusselage.

IMG_9609.jpg

IMG_9609.jpg

IMG_9620.jpg

here's an overall shot with the exhaust tail pipe added.

IMG_9608.jpg

then came time to install the instrument panel. the kit supplies a nice acetate sheet intrument panel, but the instructions have you sandwhich it between a backing plate and a thick clear part...just horrendus. I wanted to take advantage of the nice acetate sheet, so here's what I did...

I used premanent "sharpie" colored pens to color part of the instrument faces that had color, namely red and a sky blue. I did this on the "flat" side of the acetate sheet. I then sprayed several cotes of flat white to seal the coloring and to have the white show thru the clear parts of the instrument dials. I then proceeded to punch masking disks out of post it notes (the sticky part) and place them on the "glossy" side, over the individual instrument gages. Lastly, I sprayed the "glossy" side with clear flat.

remove the masking disks, and here's what I got...

IMG_9618.jpg

not very fancy, but I'm happy with the results... and it took me less than an hour.

then proceeded to install the inst. panel then on to joining the fusselage halves.

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

and another shot...

IMG_9635.jpg

well, that's as far as I got, but I'll be attaching the wings and the rest of the fusselage hardware.

thanks,

Ernie A.

Edited by modelmax

Thanks Guys for your comments.

Looking very very good so far m8 !.....I like the pics of the Yak too, have you a link to that build ?

Regards Simon

Simon,

Sorry bud, but I don't know how to do a link to the yak build, but if you do a search in the "in progress" forums for "A model Yak-28L", that will get you to where I left off.

thanks,

Ernie A.

Thanks Guys for your comments.

Simon,

Sorry bud, but I don't know how to do a link to the yak build, but if you do a search in the "in progress" forums for "A model Yak-28L", that will get you to where I left off.

thanks,

Ernie A.

Thanks Ernie,

I found it purely by chance shortly after writing that........looks good !

Regards Simon

Having seen the instrument panel close up.... its awesome...

This one will be great to see done..

Good luck Ernie!

Adam

PS - I may even join the GB too...

Thanks Adam.

I've decided to go with the Hungarina Camo scheme that you sent me. I will have to improvise the Hungarian Insignia though.

It will be great if you can join in on the fun.

Ernie A.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang.

The wings are on!

ma'an, I had a set back with one of the wings. After gluing the wings on using the trusty Mk 1 eyeball for wing alignment, I thought I let the glue to set overnight...

Not so, one of the wings seemed to have a mind of its own, so I deciced to "tack" in place with superglue... that led to lots of superglue... that sould do it!

Not so, to my amazement, one of the wings was missaligned the next day!

Out came the razor saw and proceeded to cut enough of the joint to crack it and re-do it... I realized that I'm in deserate need of an alignment jig.

anyway, the fix was successful and it looks ok to me. here are some shots.

IMG_9690.jpg

and here are some pics of the cockpit prior to closing it up.

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9691.jpg

IMG_9696.jpg

thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

• 1 month later...

Hi again gang.

It has taken me a while to get through the painting session. but alas! she's painted, decaled and weatherd. He're some progress shots.

I present you... black 043 from the Hungarian airforce (still sporting the gloss coat and missing the final assembly details.)

354_0046.jpg

354_0044.jpg

354_0045.jpg

A big thanks to my buddy 'scooter' for facilitaing me with the profile pics for this A/C. The Hungarian Insignia is made up of 3 layered decals... started with the soviet star, followed with a punched white cirlce then a green circle. The bort number is my own custom decal printed on testor's clear decal paper... I liked the results, but the clear carrier film is very thick, and will require additional coats of future to better seal it so that it is not so noticeable.

any way, this is all for today... i should be wrapping this baby in the next few days.

thanks,

Ernie A.

Edited by modelmax

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Well, today's a great day...It's finally finished! My first model completed in several years! It may not be "show" material, but I'm happy with the outcome. A good subject to help kick off some rust off the modeling skills. I do have to say, that this will probably be the last trumpeter Mig-15 that I build. I had previoulsy thought of this kit as being "weekend" material, but after all the problems I encountered with this one, I stand corrected. I'll have to adquire the Tamiya kit to see if it builds easier. there at leat two other skeems that I'm intrested in doing.

anyway, on to the pictures...

354_0058.jpg

354_0059.jpg

354_0064.jpg

354_0062.jpg

354_0060.jpg

354_0063.jpg

354_0061.jpg

I appologize for the dates on the pics...using a borrowed camera, and couldn't figure out how to remove it.

I have really enjoyed participating on this group build (and actually finishing something).

thanks,

Ernie A.

Thank you guys for the encouraging words.

I've really enjoyed participating on this GB. I wish there were more soviet a/c related GBs to participate in...I kind'a seem to get more motivated than on my own.

again thanks,

Ernie A.