I have a question on the movie. I know what has been said here on weather or not it was a good movie. My question stems from the part where the pilot played by OW when he is with the Serbian kid in the field. What kind of logistical problem(s) would have been faced if those troops picked both of them up? Would they have left the boy behind? What kind of situation would have been created if he was picked up along with the pilot? Can anyone comment on that? Just me being curious. I saw the end of the movie on TV last night. Thanks.

I have a question on the movie. I know what has been said here on weather or not it was a good movie. My question stems from the part where the pilot played by OW when he is with the Serbian kid in the field. What kind of logistical problem(s) would have been faced if those troops picked both of them up? Would they have left the boy behind? What kind of situation would have been created if he was picked up along with the pilot? Can anyone comment on that? Just me being curious. I saw the end of the movie on TV last night. Thanks.

In real life............the boy would now be living here in USA (tax free) and getting a free education. Yes, the movie kinda sucked. Most movies that portay any Navy bird doing any kind of meneuvers sucks. Very unrealistic........................it's a movie though and it is geared towards people that dont know any better. It was better than 'The Fourth Kind' though.

Speaking from my understanding of the legal side of things, any military personnel that would pick somebody up like that would not be able to grant them Asylum on board the soveriegn territory of an American government aircarft. However, if they were in imminent danger of attacked by a mob etc. they can be granted "temporary refuge" until the situation is sorted out. Now if during the course of being granted temporary refuge the aircraft itself comes under attack and must leave to protect the plane and its crew, the crew is not allowed to summarily dump the "refugee" into the hands of the waiting mob. What happens after that is a political question, probably depending on a lot other factors. I can claim to have no knowlege of those implications.

Hoops

First off Owen Wilson played the Nav not a pilot.

Do you mean the rebel troops (enemy to Owen) in the movie? If so my best guess is that they would have shot the boy if he was not on their side since he would have been no value to them. Based on the start of the movie they would probably have shot Owen next, just the way I read the movie plot.

Just a guess, but Im assuming he's talking about the scene where OW and the boy are running across the field while the Nato (?) chopper was coming for OW, and then turned around when it was reported he was dead.

My guess would be that since there was no active fighting in the immediate vicinity, that OW would have gotten on the chopper, and they would have turned the boy back b/c he was not in immediate danger.

First off Owen Wilson played the Nav not a pilot.

Do you mean the rebel troops (enemy to Owen) in the movie? If so my best guess is that they would have shot the boy if he was not on their side since he would have been no value to them. Based on the start of the movie they would probably have shot Owen next, just the way I read the movie plot.

Okay Adam that makes sense, yes I was talking about that scene. Sorry if I confused anyone. I got the impression that the kid would have been picked up along with navigator. Sorry I forgot he was the backseater.

Not to nit-pick or anything, but the Babic character (the young kid accompanying Owen Wilson's character in the scene) was not a "Serbian kid", he was a Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim). The Serbians were the enemy troops shooting at them..

Edited by KursadA
Not to nit-pick or anything, but the Babic character (the young kid accompanying Owen Wilson's character in the scene) was not a "Serbian kid", he was a Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim). The Serbians were the enemy troops shooting at them..

Nope no problem there. Thanks for the clarification. :whistle: