General wing fold question

Just a general question for those who might know. Is it possible (and if so does it happen often) that aircraft that have the mechanisms for folding their wings, would have one folded and one unfolded?

I started wondering about it when I saw the recent Airfix postings of their upcoming Sea Vixen and it had the airplane posed with one folded and one deployed wing.

Thanks,

John

John, with the Super Hornet airshow demo, after the Rhino has landed, the pilot will taxi in and point the nose towards the crowd and fold one wing to 'Wave' to the audience ...

So, it's very possible on at least some airframes, I imagine with most ...

Gregg

John, with the Super Hornet airshow demo, after the Rhino has landed, the pilot will taxi in and point the nose towards the crowd and fold one wing to 'Wave' to the audience ...

Gregg

As did the MiG-29K at MAKS 07.....

day06_013.jpg

day06_014.jpg

He did it as he circled the Fulcrum on the runway....

Ken

As did the MiG-29K at MAKS 07.....

day06_013.jpg

day06_014.jpg

He did it as he circled the Fulcrum on the runway....

Ken

Ken,

Those are great shots there. Is anyone doing decals for this bird? Also, if someone were to have the Trumpeter MiG-29K, would your detail sets apply to it? I know they are good for the Revell one.

Thanks for all the info guys. I am considering doing this with the F/A-18E that I am currently working on. Have to look a bit closer at the kit to see how it might look.

Thanks again.

John

My dad swears he saw this first-hand.

In Northern Ireland the RAF and Navy used to share Ballykelly, and the parade ground had an embankment round the side, which was something to do with the railway (which crossed the end of the runway!). One day Dad had a pass to go into town while the rest of the RAF contingent were on parade for some AOC or other. The Navy weren't involved.

Now, if you know the Fairey Gannet, you'll know about the double wing-fold: inner hinge pulls the wing up, outer hinge pulls the tip back to level, all powered. At the time the parade was on, Dad was heading into town along the embankment, watching the parade and being thankful that he didn't have to do it. A Gannet had just landed and was taxying to the apron, past the parade ground from left to right as the AOC viewed it. At the exact moment the AOC took the salute, the Gannet passed behind the assembled ranks; so the pilot, quick as a flash, activated the starboard wing-fold and released it, pulling the wing up into a smart salute and then carrying peacefully on as if nothing had happened. Apparently the AOC was chuffed to bits.

Ken,

Those are great shots there. Is anyone doing decals for this bird? Also, if someone were to have the Trumpeter MiG-29K, would your detail sets apply to it? I know they are good for the Revell one.

You must be confusing me with someone else.... ???

Dunno what you mean by 'your detail sets' - presumably Zactomodels ???

BTW, not a lot of people know this - but that 'lightning flash' on the latest MiG-29s actually spells out the word 'MiG' in stylized Cyrillic.....

day06_011.jpg

In fact, on the MiG-29OVT it is in 'English' on the starboard fin....

day02_054.jpg

Ken

Ken,

The new K and KUB's are something entirely different that the Trump K represents. Trump K kit is the older version of MiG-29K when it was in competition with Su-33, not the newest gen intended for Indian and Russian navy. Ken's picture is the newer K. They are double seaters (both K and KUB, but K uses the back seat as fuel tank/electronics) and there is lots of other difference.

You must be confusing me with someone else.... ???

Ken,

You're right, I am sorry about that!

Also, I had not a clue about the stylized Cyrillic. Way cool shots.

Pigsty,

Great story! Love reading things like that.

Berkut,

Thanks for the heads up on the 'K' differences!

Regards all,

John

Edited by IrishGreek

During a William Tell competition, the CF-18 team played with the wing fold mechanisms. Can't remember exactly how it was done, but the disabled the left wing fold, and actuating the wing fold handle caused only the right wing to fold up. At one point where high-priced dignitaries were watching, they taxied in to the line, left the engines running, and on cue folded the single right wing on each of the 4 aircraft. Ground crew saluted at the same time; looked for all the world like a General Salute.

ALF

During a William Tell competition, the CF-18 team played with the wing fold mechanisms. Can't remember exactly how it was done, but the disabled the left wing fold, and actuating the wing fold handle caused only the right wing to fold up. At one point where high-priced dignitaries were watching, they taxied in to the line, left the engines running, and on cue folded the single right wing on each of the 4 aircraft. Ground crew saluted at the same time; looked for all the world like a General Salute.

ALF

That's really cool! Would've been great to see some pictures of that.