Russian cold war jets

Right,

From all that I can gather it seems as if the current crop in 48th is spartan to say the least.

I have a few 48th kits, all of them old moulds I guess, and innacurate as well as bad fitting probably too, so it now seems unless im prepared to wait for the 2nd coming i'll have to look into buying 72nd to increase my repertoire! :)

What I need here is a recommended list of kits in 72nd that are fair-good quality and not too horrifically moulded. :whistle:

Am I anywhere near close or another lunatic modeller hoping for miracles? :)

I open up the floor to you, my 72nd friends :D

The Fujimi MiG-21 series is pretty boss. As is the RoG MiG-21F-13.

If you don't mind rescribing raised panel lines (and buying resin cockpits), the Hasegawa MiG-23/25/27 hold up pretty well even after 30+ years on the market.

The Dragon MiG-15/17s are a little fiddly, but if you do some dry-fitting and are careful, you can end up with some real nice-looking models from them.

The Hobby Boss MiG-15UTI is a real winner, and has a zillion marking options you could use on it. You can add some resin to the cockpit if you like.

The Trumpeter Su-15s have some minor accuracy issues for which resin corrections are available from Pavla. But they go together nicely and make impressive kits.

The Dragon Su-24 has some fit issues, but if you stick with it it can make a great-looking model.

I like the Bilek IL-28 a lot. Then again, I don't mind filling and sanding.

The Hobbycraft Su-20 makes into a nice early Su-17/20 series if you put a little work into it.

The Trumpeter Su-15s have some minor accuracy issues for which resin corrections are available from Pavla. But they go together nicely and make impressive kits.

Unfortunately the Trumpeter Flagon accuracy issues are not necessarily minor. The completed model is about eight scale feet too long, the apparent result of mis-interpreting length + pitot as length - pitot. It looks like an easy build, though, compared with the (more accurate) AModel Su-15.

The Fujimi MiG-21 series is pretty boss.

I much prefer the Zvezda kits. I've built a Bis here.

Amodel Yaks are good as long as you don't want to build a contest winner and that you don't mind "slightly rough" kits. My Yak-28PP here.

Edited by Laurent

For the bombers...... the much-maligned Trumpeter are the only ones who have really stepped up to the plate........

Trumpeter Tu-16 Badger - different versions

Trumpeter Tu-95MS Bear

Trumpeter Tu-142 Bear

Trumpeter Tu-22M2 Backfire-B

Trumpeter Tu-22M3 Backfire-C

Trumpeter Tu-160 Blackjack (OK only just 'Cold War')

They all have minor isssues - but they are the only game(s) in town.....

If you really want to get into it......

Amodel Myasishchev 3M/3MD Bison

Amodel Myasishchev M-50 Bounder (OK, never entered operational service).

Amodel Sukhoi T-4 'Sotka' (Ditto).

Another 'fighter' (also non-operational)....

Amodel La-250 'Anaconda'

Plus - Amodel Tu-128 'Fiddler', Amodel Su-9 & Su-11, KP Su-7, Airfix/Heller/ICM Su-27, various MiG-29 kits

That lot should keep you going for a bit.... :salute::cheers:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
Plus - Amodel Tu-128 'Fiddler', Amodel Su-9 & Su-11, KP Su-7, Airfix/Heller/ICM Su-27, various MiG-29 kits

That lot should keep you going for a bit.... :unsure: :thumbsup:

Ken

Cheers for that Ken, that's one thing that I do love about ARC, good answers and fast...a bit like waiting for gunfire in street in the Wild West ;)

ps what does Amodel stand for? B)

pps so do you recommend any of the following? "Amodel Su-9 & Su-11, KP Su-7" as im not really a heavy bomber fan

A model deliver short run kits of many esoteric (and not so) Soviet Cold War types that mainstream producers wouldn't touch with a stick. Be prepared for lots of puttying sanding, soft plastic, but after all the sweat and tears they become beautiful models!

A model deliver short run kits of many esoteric (and not so) Soviet Cold War types that mainstream producers wouldn't touch with a stick. Be prepared for lots of puttying sanding, soft plastic, but after all the sweat and tears they become beautiful models!

No lots of puttying if you prepare the parts correctly. Additionally to the Yak-28PP I've actually finished, I've started years ago an Amodel Su-15TM and Su-9 (fuselage halves and wings glued) that barely has any putty on them. It's just that you'll have many occurences of the following loop:

while (fitNotGreat()==true) {

sand();

}

:thumbsup:

Edited by Laurent

My bugbear is the Mig 17...

The radar nosed version has been done by KP, very old style model , raised panels lines and rivets. Captures the look of the -17 really well IMHO.

Apparently someone has retooled it into a kit with recessed lines?

Hasegawa made a Mig 17 with a radar nose too but that is more for collectors rather than builders, a bit over sized.

Dragon made a short nose Mig 17, but is hard to find, and it still has some shape issues.

HobbyBoss made a few pretty awesome Mig17s in 1/48, and I am hoping that their parent company, trumpeter, will retool it into 1/72 some time... soon.

Regarding A-Model Soviet (mostly) cold-war jets and props:

MiG-9, Su-9, Su-11, Yak-17, Yak-21 I-270

http://amarket.pl.ua/index.php?categoryID=82

La-250, Su-15, Tu-128, Yak-25, Yak-27, Yak-28

http://amarket.pl.ua/index.php?categoryID=84

An-26, An-32

http://amarket.pl.ua/index.php?categoryID=85

A-50, A-60, 3M, An-22, An-71, Buran, Il-20, Il-22, Il-25, Il-38, Il-76, M-50, T-4, Tu-126

http://amarket.pl.ua/index.php?categoryID=86

As it was mentioned - this is short run and/or multimedia.

Edited by pin
My bugbear is the Mig 17...

The radar nosed version has been done by KP, very old style model , raised panels lines and rivets. Captures the look of the -17 really well IMHO.

Apparently someone has retooled it into a kit with recessed lines?

ZTS Plastyk did. Current Mastercraft kits are probably Plastyk reboxes.

Actually I would consider the Hobby Boss MiG-15bis (they've released a separate MiG-15UTI) much better than the Dragon kit. Airfix has a new tool out as well, but the Hobby Boss is far better. Sure there are some accuracy issues, but Pavla has resin to correct/update them.

Bilek released a bunch of MiG-21s as well, but the Zvezdas are better. However, Bilek also released some MiG-19s, which I'm unsure of in terms of accuracy.

If you can find it - good luck! - Streem's Su-24 is by far the most accurate Su-24 on the market. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time on that model (see Laurent's code ;) ).

Ready to talk helicopters yet? :D

Despite their accuracy issues, the Fujimi MiG-21s really are nice little models. Here's one of the best MiG-21s I've seen, from Juanjo Dominguez.

Wow that is one nice build!

Yes I do agree, though not totally accurate, it builds really well. i did a SMT version years ago, and i have one NVAF and two Iraqi versions in my stash...

cheers,

ol

Despite their accuracy issues, the Fujimi MiG-21s really are nice little models. Here's one of the best MiG-21s I've seen, from Juanjo Dominguez.

Fujimi MiG-21s are nice little kits indeed but the Zvezda Bis kit (I'm not happy with the PFM kit) is:

- cheaper (in Europe at least)

- more accurate in shape

- more detailed (detailed cockpit side walls for example) and detailing is accurate (Warsaw Pact pilot, all three airbrakes can be lowered unlike on the Fujimi kit,...)

- as easy to build (except for a few small parts)

For these reasons, if someone wants to buy a 1/72 MiG-21 bis kit, I believe that the Zvezda kit is the way to go. If you already have the Fujimi kit, I'd say build it and forget about accuracy as it's hopeless in this area.

Edited by Laurent
Airfix has a new tool out as well, but the Hobby Boss is far better.

The Airfix new-tool MiG-15 is a nice little kit - it is just not a nice little kit of a MiG-15 :worship:

Amongst its many inaccuracies.......

The fuselage is a scale 2+ feet too long

The wings are too short - but when attached to the fuselage, the overall span is too great - meaning that the fuselage is too fat.

The wing inner trailing edge should meet the fuselage at 90deg - there is no such fillet on the kit.

The front of the windscreen should be horseshoe shaped - the kit windscreen front is an arch and therefore too wide at the base.

The slipper tanks are way too small ..... I could go on .......

It goes together well - it just isn't a MiG-15

What were they thinking ???? :thumbsup:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

I would suggest to stay away from ALL Fujimy and Hasegawa kits of Russian/Soviet subjects.

They are grossly incorrect. MiG-21 series are all wrong, MiG-29 is a Joke (both Fujimi and Hasegawa).

Most of the suggestions above are very valid

Su-27 - you need to aim for ICM or Airfix kits.

MiG-29 - ICM is the best bet

MiG-23 and MiG-27 go for Zvezda

MiG-15 - Hobby Boss

MiG-19 - only Bilek

Su-24 - the best is a Stream kit but hard to find.

Su-15 - A-model or VES (harder to put together but more detailed) Forget about Tumpeter - it is too much trouble to fix it.

Esoteric types - A-models are rather accurate kits and not that hard to put together