I have been unemployed for some time now.

I have sent countless resumes, job applications, hell I have even cold called and went into place to ask about jobs.

I have had a few interviews, thought they went well,

did not get the job.

One place was going to hire me for a instructor position. When I called them up because they did not call when they were supposed to, I was told the company decided to eliminate the position.

Now I am waiting on another company to see if the owners would be willing to put me into a supervisory role in the company, when I applied for a regular line position.

I have 12 years in Law Enforcement, a B.S. degree in pre-law, currently working on my masters to become a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (pulled a 4.0 last semester BTW)

I have a excellent work record, none of my references are bad

Why the hell can I not get a job!!!

Sorry, just needed to get this off my chest.

Do they know you build models?? :thumbsup:

Seriously though hang in, it was a tough market out there but I'm certain you'll pick something up soon. It seems to be getting better every day.

Good luck buddy.

Edited by Miccara

I hear ya.

I've been unemployed since Dec 08. I have sent out 100's of resumes and have gotten about 12 interviews. I think it because they are so many applicants that companies have more to choose from. Who works for less? Who's willing to work the lousy hours? Etc...

Hang in there, I hope the supervisory job works out.

Edited by indydog

Ric, the economy is pretty much hosed across the country, but the Great Lakes region

is especially had hit. Michigan has the worst economy in the U.S. and Wisconsin can't

be much better. I just passed my 1-year anniversary of being unemployed.

As much as I like where I live, I think the solution (for me, anyway) is to leave. Don't

know when I'm going to able to do this, but I'm leaving as soon as I can. Probably

somewhere near a large military installation. Military retirees have hiring preferences.

Flint, Mich. (35 miles from here) is really hard-hit. They've laid off almost all of the cops

and Fire Dept. Imagine a city of 125,000 with only 4 on-duty police at any given time,

or at least that's what the union there says. I don't know how dire the situation is with

Fire.

You are obviously well educated, and qualified to do a number of things. I don't know

how big a place Superior is, but perhaps a move to a larger locale should be considered?

I sympathize with you. Sometimes it's hard to roll with the changing times.

Best wishes to you and your family.

- Patrick

same boat, unemployed since january '09. hundreds of resumes sent, lucky if i get so much as a confirmation. only managed to have half a dozen interviews (temp agency job interviews included)

insanity is really on the threshold at this point...

there is one hope for a job still on the horizon, but they have to have staffing levels approved first, and then its back to making the cut from all of the other applicants...

really does a number to your confidence, and it effects everything else that you do...my modeling is even suffering.

just needed to scream about it too B)

I went to school for years never had a DL until it was too late. My family has never really supported me in any way other then financially. I have always been ridiculed for everything I wanted to do. Never had any job better then working at Wally's Mart. I hated every day I went there. I was treated like CRAP there too. So I really feel your pain. Been out of work for four years now.

This might not sound right, but I will never work for wal-mart, for the reasons

you stated. I am receiving my Air Force pension, plus a small VA disability

for my hearing disability. It's not easy, but I can live on that until something

comes along.

Richter111-

If you're interested in working for Uncle Sam, try going to: Army Civilian Jobs

With you're experience in law enforcement, that should be helpful to you.

Nothing guranteed of course, but it's worth it to see what's available and it's fairly easy to apply.

There's also the ever-popular USAjobs.com to cover the other government agencies, too.

Didn't you hear? We're in a full-swing economic recovery! It's just a "jobless recovery".

Apparently, you can have an economic recovery where people still don't have any jobs. I myself don't know how that can happen, but hey - I don't have a degree in economics from Yale or Harvard.

Based on what you are stating as a previous work and education, could it be that some of the places you have applied at, may consider you over-educated/qualified for the positions they have available?

I appreciate that it sounds foolish, but I have heard stories to that effect. If a potential employer feels that you are over qualified, they may elect to hire someone who is somewhat less qualified with the expectation that they will not tire of the position and stay with the company. That versus someone with your qualifications who may not feel fulfilled in the position and look elsewhere and possibly move on when a better opportunity presents itself.

The Company is then out of pocket for any training dollars they spent on you and will have to respend on your replacement.

Just a thought, so do not get too down on yourself. Instead shoot for something much better that you may not feel fully qualified for, you never know...

Best of luck with the job hunt, I am sure that it will only be a matter of time.

Hi fellas,

I'm so sorry to hear that so many of you are having problems finding work. The selection and interview processes seem to be becoming much more difficult today even for lower skilled jobs. When I got into the security game almost 9 years ago my interview consisted of being asked if I could be at a site at Huntingwood (western Sydney) by 1800 that night. I told the boss I would have to train it because my car was being worked on and I might be a little late as a result.

I thought he was going to tell me to forget it and stop wasting his time, but instead he said thank you so much, you don't know how that solves a big problem that I didn't know how I was going to solve. Don't worry about being late, when you get there, there'll be a patrolman there by the name of Zaidan, he'll have all your uniform and kit waiting for you. And he was good to his word. When I turned up by taxi from Blacktown railway station Zaidan was there with a uniform and full kit that fitted me perfectly.

I trained and taxied it to Huntingwood for a week until my car was repaired and then started driving. I worked in Sydney for almost 4 years and at first drove to and fro each working day for six months and then lived in a tent in a caravan park for 12 months and then bought an old caravan to live in. I think that even in the US if you're willing to travel to work of relocate some companies would be willing to give a person a start. The interview and selection process in the US though I can't comment on.

Ross.

What kind of work are you applying for? If it is related to law enforcement, even if military, then there are opportunities available. One of my former Sgts. worked for Dyncorp or whatever it is called now for a year and a half. Now he is an instructor on a military installation for MP's.

There are opportunities out there, depending on what you do in your area. I am eight years in law enforcement, and I don't plan on going anywhere. Not just because its a paycheck, but I still like what I do. I can't see doing anything else, unfortunately for me, so if I ever get canned I don't know what I will do. Hope you can find something soon richter.

There's also the ever-popular USAjobs.com to cover the other government agencies, too.

they are great for searching...

everything i've applied for though i've received

"We have reviewed your application and found you qualified for the position listed above. However, you were

not among the most highly qualified candidates. Therefore, your name will not be referred to the employing

agency at this time."

like a form letter, just demeaning.

they are great for searching...

everything i've applied for though i've received

"We have reviewed your application and found you qualified for the position listed above. However, you were

not among the most highly qualified candidates. Therefore, your name will not be referred to the employing

agency at this time."

like a form letter, just demeaning.

Can count on bureaucracy to come up with a form letter that is a kick in the *alls, huh???

I bet they spent 6 months of committee time 'tweaking' the letter too. ;)

Ricter,

I know things suck out there, but if nothing else put on a positive face and use positive wording on everything when you do get opportunities to speak with hiring managers. It will make a difference. Not that you aren't doing that, but just watch yourself. When I was out of work, I know I had to watch it. Especially when speaking about yourself and even your prior employers, stay positive.

Edited by IrishGreek
I have been unemployed for some time now.

I have sent countless resumes, job applications, hell I have even cold called and went into place to ask about jobs.

I have had a few interviews, thought they went well,

did not get the job.

One place was going to hire me for a instructor position. When I called them up because they did not call when they were supposed to, I was told the company decided to eliminate the position.

Now I am waiting on another company to see if the owners would be willing to put me into a supervisory role in the company, when I applied for a regular line position.

I have 12 years in Law Enforcement, a B.S. degree in pre-law, currently working on my masters to become a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (pulled a 4.0 last semester BTW)

I have a excellent work record, none of my references are bad

Why the hell can I not get a job!!!

Sorry, just needed to get this off my chest.

Buy the book "How To Get Any Job by Donald Asher". A treasure trove of excellent advice.

Bob

Hang in there...the next phone call you get might be the one you are waiting for. It's a tough slog rignt now for lots of people, so try to not take it personally, as a lot of companies aren't in a position to be hiring much. Eventually this will change, so hold on, your time will come.

Al P.

Laid off twice since Labor Day 2008...so nearly 16 months out of work (with around 4 months employed last summer). I'm not law enforcement or anything like that but a cubicle dweller designing roads here in Ohio. I am now hearing that my professionally done resume does not get past the resume filters most firms seem to be using now, not enough 'action' works - for crissakes I sat in a cube in front of a fricken computer - what says action in anything there!

I have had less than a half dozen interviews on about 3-400 resumes and applications since Sept '08.

The hobby is about the only thing that has kept me sane over the last year and a half. I keep getting told that I should start my own business...but what if one has no entrepenurial bones in his body? It's enough to really make one want to give up. I had not liked my job for the last 5 years or so and the last couple of positions really worked on my ego - one told me that the 14 years of experience I had previously didn't matter and the other was why they hired someone who had nearly 20 years experience and was paid north of $20 per hour to do work that someone who had not yet gotten his associates could have been hired to do at $10 an hour would have been bored with doing.

I was good at what I did as long as I was kept busy but now in my mid-40s and out of work for a year and a half I don't know what to do. Now in a week or two my two sons will be home for the summer - what sort of example am I setting for them. 'Whats your dad do?' - 'oh nothing he watches TV all day'.

I have had career counceling and was told that for my personality I need a masters - not for any knowledge there, but simply to get my foot in the door. If I would have known I'd be out of work for nearly 18 months I think I could have gotten close to getting a Masters in something (history, city regional planning, public policy), but here I am watching the morons in Washington playing politics with the unemployment legislation and spending virtually no money directly in infrastructure, that I could be working in.

Bah humbug everyone can go to.....

Edited by Matt Roberts

Rick, how willing and or able are you to relocate?

When it came time to find a real (read non-academic) job for me; I hit nothing but brick walls in Wisconsin. I came out to Arizona where both my wife and I were offered OK positions, but I kept looking all over the country...now I landed a really good job in Washington State. Yeah, moving cross country twice in two years is an enormous pain in the rear, but I'd still be Ad Hoc teaching for $3k per semester (yeah, thats not a typo!) at UWM if I hadn't of done this.

I guess in a sense I'm lucky in that I don't own a home that I have to worry about selling, have a wife who is just as willing to travel as I am, and I haven't yet accumulated too much "stuff", so moves aren't as painful for me as for others. Still, take a look nation-wide if you haven't already. It'll open a lot of doors, some of which you may find may be worth the headache to step through

It's not you, it sounds more like your location. Texas is booming my friend, especially in law enforcement. Many, many businesses have been re-locating here from places up north and California due to lower taxes and costs. Every city in Texas, including where I live, Amarillo, has seen population and business increases. If you're willing to relocate, take a look at Texas.