I have bought a bottle of Hawkeye's Hobbies Raptor Sheen. I am alittle confused i have a few pictures of the F-22 Raptor and i dont see a metallic look to it. I still haven't started my model yet and im still getting extras for it but i had to ask, does the Raptor have a metallic look and is it both colors or just the dark shade of grey.

thanks Andrew

It depends on the light and viewing angle, sometimes it appears dead matte sometimes it appears metallic. These photos of the same jet show how it varies. Click here for metallic sheen. Click here for matte effect. Click here for matte effect and metallic sheen; look at the outside of the left, vertical stab and the inside of the right vertical stab.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

From the one i got to see in the hangar id say the surface is actually rubbery like the nose of an F-16. Thats why i dont get those that mix metallics into the paint. there is no metallic to it. Its the texture the surface coating gives it. a very interesting satin finish on it really.

I think this is how you paint an F-22: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/lofive...hp?t188098.html

I saw a more detailed version of this step by step process, which I think was written by the same guy. I'll get back to you and see if I have the more detailed process. But in the meantime, hope this helps.

Jason ;)

I think this is how you paint an F-22: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/lofive...hp?t188098.html

I saw a more detailed version of this step by step process, which I think was written by the same guy. I'll get back to you and see if I have the more detailed process. But in the meantime, hope this helps.

Jason ;)

My mistake, that was a different ARC user, but it appears they used the same technique. Apparently they know each other, which is why they used the same technique. Here's the more detailed process: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8...otramel/00.shtm You can skip to the paint job, which is at the bottom of the page, if you like

Jason

Edited by Jason Amigo

Before making up your mind, I suggest a trip over to Airliners.net and search on F-22. They have literally dozens of great shots of F-22s that show how its appearance varies based on sun angle. Once you see one in person, you'll understand why using metallic colors has, up to now, been the best solution to represent its finish. You can also see similar finishes on Spangdahlem and Greek F-16s featuring the Have Glass coatings.

A couple of months ago, our model club had an F-22 pilot in for a talk and asked everyone to bring in their F-22 models. The pilot selected the one he thought was best. On a table full of models painted in Mod-Eagle grays, he picked the one painted in metallic grays.

One thing to note when you look at the photos is that the national insignia on the top of the wing is gray, NOT black! I don't know why most of the decal folks insist on making a black one for the top wing...

So, I'm posing the question again. Hawkeye's Raptor Sheen has been out for a month or so: Has anyone mixed it with Mod-Grays? Does it do what it claims?

Anyone experiment with it yet? Enquiring minds want to know.

John

After that is all said and done, how do you decal it and finish coat it and keep the metallic look?

If you use the process in Jim Rotramel's or my articles you'll have the metallic look with the decals on it. Haven't tried the other methods yet.

Mark S.