Well after a year (actually a little more than that) I finally got a full time job again. This job pays better and has better benefits than the one that I lost. Getting the offer has been a joy and a relief. To anyone who has been in the same boat, it has been a year of ups and downs. Mostly frustration and anxiety. I always knew there would be a light at the end of the tunnel but I had no idea the tunnel would be that long!

One of the things that helped the most was to set up my own business about 7 months into it. After having some 40 interviews without any success, I was worried that the length of my downtime was having an effect. While I was initially working part time for myself, it quickly became full time and it allowed me to get this full time offer.

Anyhow - I just want to thank you guys at ARC. Building models and reading the forums provided me with some relaxation during my time off. I built a lot of models during this time; which is good. But I hope to never build so many models over a year ever again!

Thanks again - and to those who are still looking: Good Luck! Its not the most pleasant experience but it does come to an end. Most likely you will be better for it.

First off, Congratulations!! :D

Been there myself (8.5 months) and ended up moving from New England to Michigan (no really) to get a job. That one only lasted a couple months, but have been in the current one for a while now. I remember that time very well. Extremely frustrating as you said in many respects, but also some great times. Got to actually spend a whole New England summer with my kids, who were only 6 and 9 at the time. Going to the lake and beach was a great time and is a great memory.

So I am glad you are remembering the positives and it sure will help you appreciate the working, especially like almost every job out there when those days are rough.

Good luck on the new position. ;)

Congratulations! That's great news, and must be an enormous relief and comfort to know you have something now. You've clearly taken some good lessons from the experience of the last year or so. Being unemployed takes a toll on so many other aspects of your life other than the bank account.

You're out the other side now, enjoy. Been there too.

Cheers,

Richard

Congrats! I'm very happy for you. I can imagine it's nice to get that monkey off your back!? East end? West end? Centretown? Gatineau? Close to home? That would be a very nice option. Hopefully you're working on the same side of the Rideau as your home. Getting to the other side is a real pain during rush hour, as you might know. Hopefully that will change when they get the Armstrong / Strandherd bridge built in 2012.

Although I've never had the misfortune, I saw my wife go through the stigma of unemployment and unemployment insurance just shortly after we got married. Her self-esteem took a real beating. She decided to freelance herself as a technical writer and as a result of lots of hard work and tenacity, she's now federally incorporated and has consulting companies (Ajja, BrainHunter, Maplesoft, etc) asking her to work with them.

Good luck with your new employment and employer. I hope all works out.

Thanks again, guys!

Yes - being let go for so long does take its toll and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Getting married last summer (at the end of the third month of unemployment) was practically the only good part of 2009. I am very lucky to have an understanding wife.

The job I have now is a step up from my old job and its downtown. Lucky for me its less than 20 minutes from home in the morning and I get to work with some very good people.

Been there (10 months), now I work in my second career in medical research.

In that same time span I graduated twice, once from College and the second time from Royal Military College. Don't ask me how I did it.