Illegal Immigrants Hired As Flight Instructors

Surely the last sentence of that has to be an error right?!

"The company now operates under a different name — American Aviation Academy — but uses the same mailing address and phone number in San Diego, where two of the 9/11 hijackers received flight training"

The flight school that trained two of the 9/11 hijackers has been found to operate illegally but is still open? I know the two that were prosecuted are no longer running it, but surely it's a totally different company....I hope.

Scary.

Bill

I know a lot of my fellow students from when I did my training, stayed on illegally in the states for a year or two or three after their visa's lapsed. HOWEVER, they DID pay taxes... They were workign for various copanies, just not letting anyone in on the "slip".

They are as far as I know, no longer in country, they just did it to get some experience.

Cheers

H.

Surely the last sentence of that has to be an error right?!

"The company now operates under a different name — American Aviation Academy — but uses the same mailing address and phone number in San Diego, where two of the 9/11 hijackers received flight training"

The flight school that trained two of the 9/11 hijackers has been found to operate illegally but is still open? I know the two that were prosecuted are no longer running it, but surely it's a totally different company....I hope.

Scary.

Bill

I believe what you are seeing here is slightly misleading news copy. It appears that Fox news means that American Aviation Academy is located in San Diego. Some of the 9/11 hijackers also did training in San Diego, but not at the school that is the focus of this article. If you read the article at the San Diego Union Tribune, it has no mention of any connection to the hijackers.

A quick internet search, and I found the following:

-Two of the 9/11 hijackers did a couple flights with a flight school in San Diego called "Sorbi Flying Club," at Montgomery Field airport.

-American Aviation Academy has an address in El Cajon, and doesn't even operate out of the same airport. They're based at Gilliespie Field.

My guess is that the Fox news article added the stinger about the hijackers to try and get an "Oh my gosh!" forehead-slapping reaction from readers. It seems to be working, too.